PDA

View Full Version : Sheep season

willy442
07-26-2009, 07:50 AM
With less than a week to go until people will be out ageing Rams, it's nice to see we don't have all the armchair educaters fighting over how to age, that we've seen in the past. I guess this indicates, over the last 2 years of dissecting sheep horns. many may now have a better idea on horn judgement and ageing. I hope this cleans up some of the mistakes we have seen on here and the little immatures live to grow to at least an age of eight. I realize we will still have those out there with itchy trigger fingers and the excuse " it's my first Ram". To the rest good luck and hope you all find good old full curl Rams.

07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
For the new Sheep Hunters......
Don't MAKE THE MISTAKE of shooting a small Ram under sized and under aged, look for the sure thing. If in doubt DON'T SHOOT !.
If it is your first, they Must be viewed from the side, on the same plain, level too the Ram you are judging. There's no such thing as crossing your fingers and hoping he makes the grade. False annuli are out there and is no way to judge a Ram for your first time.
I hunted Rams for at least 12 years, passing up on likely legal Rams until I had the sure thing in my spotting scope.
The reward is well worth the wait.

Good luck to you all, I wish I were Ram hunting this year but a Bison Draw is finally came my way and that will be my big trip this year.

CT

07-26-2009, 11:22 AM
I think the long discussions we had were quite productive and really will help many sheep hunters out. None of us are too old to learn something new and the difference in length between thinhorn and bighorn lamb tips was something new that I learned from these discussions. Besides that, those threads help us get through the winter without getting cabin fever.

THE SWEDE
07-26-2009, 11:30 AM
With less than a week to go until people will be out ageing Rams, it's nice to see we don't have all the armchair educaters fighting over how to age,

Its early yet.Soon as the first ram gets posted the expert will chime in;)

willy442
07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Its early yet.Soon as the first ram gets posted the expert will chime in;)

Let's hope everyone can proudly post pics. Remember trophy quality!:wink:

srupp
07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Hopefully this is MY year...I leave on Tuesday..

good luck to all the sheep hunters..

Great words of wisdom WILLY..THANKS..

Cheers

Steven

kennyj
07-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Hopefully this is MY year...I leave on Tuesday..

good luck to all the sheep hunters..

Great words of wisdom WILLY..THANKS..

Cheers

Steven

Good luck Steven ,
I hope this is your year.Bring home a monster.
kenny

bridger
07-26-2009, 04:23 PM
although my doc said no to another sheep hunt until i get my knee fixed. i couldn't stand staying home. the horses are in the corral shod ready to go my partner is here and we are leaving in the morning.

srupp
07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
sheesh..I have bad knees too..got a spare horse??Lol

GOOD LUCK bridger..take care of that knee...

Thanks to ALL the great guys here who have helped "fine tune " my gear selection.." and equipment..

steven

Dale
07-26-2009, 07:13 PM
outta here on Wednesday!!!!!

srupp
07-26-2009, 09:41 PM
I got to see Kevin Willis and his new custom made jet boat tonite what a beauty and what a BEAST.....

steven

Greenhead
07-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey Steven, what boat did he get?

srupp
07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
I am not sure of the name but it was a custom build from USA he and Scott dropped by tonite on their way north, and I will meet up with them in Fort Nelson on the 29th..on the 30th Kevin will be jetting us up one of the rivers...I am BLESSED with having Kevin boat Scott and I in..

And DOUBLY blessed with having Scott come along this year..eliminates ALL and ANY excuses:shock:

The boat is silver with bright green paint and really really big and beamy wide..

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
07-27-2009, 05:51 AM
I would like to take this moment to wish all you sheep hunter a safe and productive sheep hunt this up and coming weekend ,go get them forum hunters ,GOOD LUCK TO ALL ,I as others will be looking forward to the pic and the story from your hunt ,if no sheep the story and pic of your hunt is just as good http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Dale
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Truck broken, may have to postpone sheep trip. Life sucks at this particular point in time.