PDA

View Full Version : 4-06 Creston elk LEH

Wayne
07-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey guys,

I got a draw for a cow/calf elk in 4-06 in September this year. I got very excited at first, but on a second look I see the elk LEH is just around the city (I'm looking at the special 4-06 - 4-07 map for the LEH here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...6-C_4-07-C.pdf (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_maps/Elk_4-06-C_4-07-C.pdf))

I am not familiar with the area, but it looks like farm land to me on Google.

Anyone familiar with this area, can you tell me where do I have chances to see elk? Are there any camping spots on Crown Land around Duck Lake or it is all private property. Any tips highly appreciated...

palmer
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Duck lake is not where you want to hunt....more down dodge creek...

KodiakHntr
07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Not much area around Dodge that low that isn't private...Hanson's private land extends well past his fields up the hill...

Thats a tough hunt, not much area that isn't private.

4570hunter
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Look in the hunting regulations there is a number you can call for a pilot project for land permissions. The number is 250-887-3407 talk to Susan between 8- 10 pm read the regulations yourself on the first page of section 4 Good luck

Rob
07-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Was this different than what you put in for?

Wayne
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Guys, the LEH is not limited to private land. In fact I prefer to stay on Crown land. It is just that the pap for the LEH includes mostly what looks like private land...

pistolpete
07-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Hunt the mtn. & power line just outside of the city limits. Lots of crown land there. Good luck!

Brambles
07-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Thats a tough draw to fill at that time of year, the elk are off the fields and up out of the legal hunting zone WAY before light. They don't come down again until after dark.

Good luck

Wayne
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Damn, I've been to two elk hunts and have yet to see elk and now experienced hunters are telling me this will be a tough tag to fill...

This was my second choice and I didn't look carefully when I was submitting my application, but then again I do not know any elk area.

So assuming that it will still be very warm at that time of year, what do you think my strategy should be: go as high as possible and in the thick, or wait by slashes and openings? Do they move during the day at all? Do they stay in herds?

If elk will be real tough, is there any deer in this area?