PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Meat

Spuddge
07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I've heard alot of differing opinions on the edibility of grizzly meat. Who here has eaten grizzly meat and what was the experience like.
I know alot of factors have to be taken into account, such as what it has been feeding on (ie. fish, garbage , carrion etc.) as to what the taste of the meat will be like. I got my draw in the Peace region and the area I'll be hunting does not have any salmon streams or garbage dumps, so I'll assume the bears are eating vegetation, berries and of course other animals. Is it worth harvesting all the meat? I was thinking of just taking the tenderloins and the back straps to try it out. Opinions please?

The Hermit
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
If I ever get a Grizzz tag I plan to take the meat out, try it, and hopefully enjoy it. If not then presumably it will make good dog food for someone's pet, or hell maybe to give it to wolf trappers!!!

bowhunterbruce
07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
i to have a draw for grizz this fall and i am intending on bringing back all the meat i can especially for the hams,yummmmmmmmy.if they taste anything like black bear hams then i know i will enjoy it.if nothing else and i find its not all that tasty then my dogs are be in for a treat all winter.

Kirby
07-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I've had grizz, same as black bears, depends what its feeding on, fish, feed it to the dog, mountain bear, chow down.

Kirby

07-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Take all the meat, get er done into different sausages, hams etc. I have eaten it and it was good in roast form, have it checked from Trig like pork meat.

But fish eating bears can taste like a salty old dog salmon.

Can't wait to get my draw .... there will be lots of sausages!

CT

wolverine
07-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I have eaten interior Grizzly but not Coastal and probably wouldn't even entertain that idea. It's bound to be fishy as hell. The interior grizzly that I had was excellent. It was lighter meat than black bear and very lean. Cooked slow and moist it was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to have it again but you have to be careful or you'll turn it into shoe leather really quick. Moist cooking is the way to go.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Interior bear I had was good. Meat was very neutral smelling.
Never tried or smelled coastal bear.

SSS

sawmill
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Every one I ever shot or helped out with(14 total) smelled like a cross between a skunks ass and cat piss.I used to wash my hands in gasoline to cut the stink.All from the Hazeltons,all spring bears and mostly boars.I`d have to be some hungry to eat one and I sure wouldn`t cook it in the house.Rank!.

BCbillies
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
A close second to sheep! ;)

I donate all the meat to mother nature . . . fattens them all up . . . if only they could talk! :smile:

Mik
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I had great big huge steaks and it was delicous. this year I plan on smoking hams.

bcriverhunter
07-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Every one I ever shot or helped out with(14 total) smelled like a cross between a skunks ass and cat piss.I used to wash my hands in gasoline to cut the stink.All from the Hazeltons,all spring bears and mostly boars.I`d have to be some hungry to eat one and I sure wouldn`t cook it in the house.Rank!.

pretty funny sawmill!!..LOL!..me and the mrs got a good chuckle!...we both love black bear..spring bear to saesage, and the "BCBBFFBB"(aka--b.c. blue berry fed fall blackbear) to steaks and roasts and burger!:razz:.....i DO have a griz tag for 7-23, but it is JUST IN CASE i need it..,,but, ya never know:p.....i would like to try fall griz tho...larry

Spuddge
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, I think I'll give it a try.

Krico
07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Bears are for making rugs. If you want something to eat, shoot something that actually tastes good.

Bowtime
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I had great big huge steaks and it was delicous. this year I plan on smoking hams.

I smoked the hams on my grizz and it was great, I highly sudgest it. you won't be dissapointed.

sako_300
07-28-2009, 07:08 AM
An interior bear is night and day vs. a coastal bear.

The Grizz I ate from the kootneys was fine - I wouldn't choose it over elk or moose but it's good to eat.

I always figure if you can pack it out without killing yourself you owe it to the animal.

I don't agree with shooting a bear for a rug unless you are only shooting one black/brown/grizz and maybe a white one... ha in your life, how many bear rugs does a guy need?

mntbowhunter
07-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I have shot two grizzlies and both of them got donated to mother nature just like BC Billies explained. Why would you want to eat an animal that barries its food and comes back to eat it when its full of maggots? This province is so rich with ungulates why not stick to eating them. I guess if you want to try it go for it, but the thought would never cross my mind

3kills
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
i m just startin to apply for grizzly and when i get a tag and when i shoot a bear i will take some of the meat out to give it a try..probably smoke the hams and make pepperoni...

6 K
07-29-2009, 05:13 AM
An interior bear is night and day vs. a coastal bear.

The Grizz I ate from the kootneys was fine - I wouldn't choose it over elk or moose but it's good to eat.

I always figure if you can pack it out without killing yourself you owe it to the animal.

I don't agree with shooting a bear for a rug unless you are only shooting one black/brown/grizz and maybe a white one... ha in your life, how many bear rugs does a guy need?

How many deer/moose rugs do you have?
Bears are harvested primaraly for their hides. Other animals for their meat. No one seems to get bent out of shape when good hides go to waste.
If you really want to try grizz meat my advice would be "let your nose be your guide"
It ain't gonna simpler than that.

sako_300
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
How many deer/moose rugs do you have?
Bears are harvested primaraly for their hides. Other animals for their meat. No one seems to get bent out of shape when good hides go to waste.
If you really want to try grizz meat my advice would be "let your nose be your guide"
It ain't gonna simpler than that.

Trust me - I'm not getting bent out of shape.

Point is - if you're shooting a bear for the rug how many rugs do you need? I wouldn't expect someone to go out and down a bear every year for the rug and leave the meat. That becomes a bit excessive.

Same as if I was hunting for a big Moose - I wouldn't go around and shoot all the small ones; I would wait for a big one that I am happy with and pull the trigger.

By the way - I use the moose/deer hair for tying flies but there is no way I could tie enough to use the entire hide...