PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads that shoot EXACTLY like field points?

5/10/85
07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Just wondering if anyone has come across broadheads that shoot exactly like their field points? If so, what are they?

Onesock
07-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Wensel Woodsman's. Great broadhead.

islandhunter
07-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Wasp's seem to do it for me.

Brew
07-24-2009, 08:23 AM
slip tricks. shoot exactly the same

danfloris
07-24-2009, 08:34 AM
it all depends on the speed of the bow that you are shooting there is no broad head out there that will fly "exactly" the same as a field point, depends how you tune the arrow for the broad head and all that jazz. i shoot montech g5 broad heads and every single broahead i have ever shot i have had to sight my bow in while shooting broaheads. never just assume that the arrow is gonna fly the same even with a expandable it will fly a little diffent.'

and at 20 yards every thing looks great shoot them at 40 or 50 yards then you will know what it really going on, for some reason at about 30 to 35 yards the broadhead takes over and will fly diffrently ( for some) an inch at 20 yards can be a foot at 40 yards....ive shot alot of diffrent broadheads and tuned and tuned my bows so before ou tell me im wrong go and shoot 40 yards with you bow and see waht happens. and i shoot a bow that my hunting arrows are getting 310 fps so the faster the bow ther harder as well, slower bows will have less broadhead plane then faster bows.

and yes my spine is good and my wieght is better im shooting a full metal jacket 300 and the total arrow wieght is 447 grians.

just my 2 cents.

Ddog
07-24-2009, 10:35 AM
grim reapers, scorpion xp's, do it for me. although the grim reapers were just one season, they did fly just like a field point.
i have shot the scorpion xp's for the last few years now and have had nothing but success with. when i buy a new package i dont use any of them for a practice heads because they shoot just like my field points.
After shooting these heads for as long as i can remember i have not had one fly any different than a field point.
after i have killed one of them i often use it as a practice head, at 40 yards i hit the kill zone exactly where i was aiming (to a degree) whether or not it is a field point or one of the broadheads, they fly no different than a field point at any distance i have shot them.
it doesnt matter which bow i use either, the Hoyt at 62lbs shooting at 290 FPS or the Martin Slayer Xtreme shooting at 315 FPS.
i have killed countless animals with these broadheads and have never had one fail.

Kody94
07-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I use Steelforce Sabretooth and Premium 4 blade broadheads. They fly very true...required very little tuning to hit the same POI as my field points.

http://www.steelforce.com/products/heads/sabertoothgroup.jpg

Bow Walker
07-25-2009, 12:37 AM
My current broahead of choice is the Muzzy MX-3 in 100 grain 8)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Muzzy_MX-3_100gr.jpg

I have had very good results with the Slick Tricks and also the Razor Caps. ;)

All three choices have spun true on the arrow tester with very little adjustments.

Once you get the broahead aligned peoperly with the shaft (and spinning true) your P.O.I. should (and will) be the same - be it field points or broadheads. But they all must spin true. No wobble.

urbanhermit
07-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Slick Tricks x2

07-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Slick Trick x 3

Bow Walker
07-25-2009, 08:52 AM
A Montec G5

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/montec.jpg

N.A.P. Razorcap

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/RAZOR_CAP_100.jpg

An arrow spinner - worth it's weight in gold.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Slicks are good .. Montecs are good ... Broadheads are one of those things that you get what you pay for ... I have had success with Rocky Mountain Premieres ... That all said I personally use Trophy Ridge/Rocket Steelheads and/or Steelhead XP

Broadhead flight is very dependant on a few things ... first and foremost .. craftsmanship of the front of the Arrow..by that I mean: Is the insert in fully? ... is the shaft cut perfectly square? is the insert Square? ... if the shaft and insert arent perfect .. you can fight all you want ... that arrow wont fly true...
Next is the Craftmanship of the broadhead itself ....I think that speaks for itself
Next is the back of the arrow ... ie: Vanes, fletches etc.... some fixed broadheads have an offset in their blades by 1 or 2 degrees... Most people in my expiriance like a 3-4 degree offset in their vanes because it will stabilize your arrow the fastest (with a feild point or very small head ...ie: mech BH or Judo or SGH)....am I the only one that sees a problem here? ... the Vanes and the blades fight one another .... if you use an off set blade fletch you arrows to match the blades offset. Alot of people over look Nocks as well ...Is your nock in square ...contrary to popular belief a factory cut is not always square... Its a good idea while you are cutting your arrows to zip a little(I usually take off 1/2 inch or so) bit off the back as well to square up that shaft then insert your nock (I use Uni-bushings and G-nocks in all my arrows...hunting and target)

jrjonesy
07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Along with what Bowzone Mikey said, I think a well tuned bow makes a huge difference on a broadhead hitting where a field point does. If the arrow is coming out of the bow straight rather than tailing one way or another, it gives the broadhead much less chance to steer the arrow off course.

You'll probably find that some will have no problems with broadhead flight due to a well tuned bow while others may hate the same broadhead because it doesn't fly well, even though it's more due to a poorly tuned bow.

My 2 cents only.

bc sportsman
07-25-2009, 03:17 PM
I use NAP 100 gr Crossfires broadheads

www.cabelas.com/p-0026398416309a.shtml (http://www.cabelas.com/p-0026398416309a.shtml)

on arrows fletched with NAP Quickspin vanes

www.cabelas.com/archery/arrows-shafts/fletchings-jigs-nocks.shtml (http://www.cabelas.com/archery/arrows-shafts/fletchings-jigs-nocks.shtml)

Shoot exactly like the field points.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Along with what Bowzone Mikey said, I think a well tuned bow makes a huge difference on a broadhead hitting where a field point does. If the arrow is coming out of the bow straight rather than tailing one way or another, it gives the broadhead much less chance to steer the arrow off course.

You'll probably find that some will have no problems with broadhead flight due to a well tuned bow while others may hate the same broadhead because it doesn't fly well, even though it's more due to a poorly tuned bow.

My 2 cents only.

100% correct I wrote above with an assumption that a bow is tuned ... and didnt wanna write all the bow tuning stuff as there is alot absorb just on arrow tuning .... and I barely scratched the surface on that ...ie: arrow lenth ...affects the spine (spine is rated with a 29" shaft ...if your arrow is cut at 27 it may be a bit stiff, conversely a 31" might be a bit weak)

Bow tuning ... centershot, creep , tiller, rest tuning, if you have a fall away ..when does it leave the shaft, Grip will affect BH flight ..if you induce a bit of hand tourqe ....
I hope to bang some heads with some Gurus here shortly and plan to write a few bow maintenace and tuning posts...Complete with pics .... most of the info will be recycled with the permission of original author and credit will be posted as well

there will enough info to make your head hurt if try to absorb all at once

timbermilton
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
i use terminator t2's 100gr. and they fly just like my fp's. shot a 5-spot with them just to see how well they did and got the same average score, 297 w/51 x's. tore the crap outa my target though, still trying to talk my wife into the nesecity of a new target.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-29-2009, 07:32 PM
:mrgreen:
i use terminator t2's 100gr. and they fly just like my fp's. shot a 5-spot with them just to see how well they did and got the same average score, 297 w/51 x's. tore the crap outa my target though, still trying to talk my wife into the nesecity of a new target.

make your own ...

:biggrin:

huntwriter
07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Magnus (http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/magnus.html) four blade 125 gr and Stinger 125 gr from the same company have performed very well for me in the last 16 years of bowhunting. Another brand I used sometimes and performed well are NAP Thunderhead 125 gr.

fozzy
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
:mrgreen:

make your own ...

:biggrin:
What would you make a broad head target out of and how?

pupper
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Montec g-5's (http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/G5_Montec_Broadheads) do it for me

Laurence_Erickson
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I use muzzy 125 grns three blades .I had to go to the bohning helical fletch but drive tacks now with both braod heads and field points

Mountain Man
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Exactly??? A bow needs to be tuned proper for best results with broad heads. More often then not most people have bow's that they think are in tune and are usually only running at aprox 80% efficiency due to timing, cam lean, center shot, and the most common mistake is arrow spine selection among shaft’s. Mechanical broad heads tend to fly out of the package with the average bow set up the best with little to no adjustment out to 4oyds. There are many cases every year with the chance of mechanical failure. I would recommend a rear deployment broad head such as a Trophy Ridge Undertaker. As far as fixed bladed broad heads the best bang for you buck is the Slick Trick Magnum. I believe after extensive testing that the G5 Montec is the best broad head on the market. If hunting with your bow is the primary use then what I do with my hunting bow is shoot nothing but broad heads 12 months of the year. Buy a good broad head target and don’t switch back and forth from field points to broad heads if you can. This way your bow is always ready to go.

MM
HARDCORE ARCHERY SHOP
KELOWNA BC.

Deerwhacker
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I find that my 100 grain muzzy's shoot bang on where the field points do even out to 40 and 50 yards, when I tried montecs they shot all over the place and i got rid of them pretty quick.Keep in mind of course that every bow is different and you should make shore whatever broadhead you use you are sighted in for it.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
What would you make a broad head target out of and how?

there are a few threads on here ... I will give the quick and dirty on 3 ways i have made broadhead targets

1: Rigid foam insulation .... If you have some laying around they come in 8' by 2' by 2" ... cut them to to 2'x2' ... stack about 10 peices and Wrap the edges with Duct tape ... Cost = next to nothing as someone always has that stuff left over from a project or construction site

2: Spray foam insulation ie: Monofoam and alike ... Buy about 6 cans ...find a cardboard box line it with a garbage bag .. suranwrap etc ... and fill... close the box and let set up ... heck even put a rope to hold and throw it with ... when set .. remove from box (this is what the liner is for so the foam wont stick to the box) Cost= about 36 bucks ... 6 bucks a can

3: and my personal fav as this target has lasted longer than one season for me ...
get the biggest 6 mil or better plastic bag you can find ... take it and hop into your truck ...drive on down to the local Hot Tub sales and repair place .... Have the boys in the back fill that bag with polyurathane insulation (the same stuff they insulate hot tubs with)... fill it and let it set for a few days ...depending on how big of a bag you got ... you could potionatly mold it to a shape you want ... I just make a giant "rock" out of it and try to keep the sides as flat as I can ... a chainsaw works great to trim later
cost = Dependant on who ya know, how big ya want it ..what the shop would do ...could be nothing ..could be a case of beer could be over 100 bucks

xtremearchery
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Slick Trick Mag100's and Rage 3 blades. I shoot an X-Force and pretty much every broadhead I have shot with that bow has hit the X from 20-70 yards.

Lorne
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
slick tricks broadheads shoot exactly the same as my feild points and are reasonalbly priced. the montec g5's are alright buddy has then and seem to be fairly close.

Bow Walker
09-12-2009, 10:34 PM
For "bone-busting, blow-thru" shots I've got to give the nod to the Slick Tricks. So far they've handed me a nice fat doe and a 3x2 buck for the freezer/table.

westhoyt
09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I am hearing a lot of good reviews about the slick tricks, can we buy them on the island here?

OOBuck
09-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I just bought a set of the Grim Reapers & had to do nothing to my bow as far as tuning..

tbear
09-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Another vote for Slick Tricks

hoyt
09-14-2009, 10:17 PM
I like the Muzzy MX 4 100 grain, they have served me very well.

slayer B
09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Has anyone tried Crimson Talon XT's. Their site is pretty wild but I would like to know if they work as they say or if its just a lot of flash and gimmickry.

Bow Walker
09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I am hearing a lot of good reviews about the slick tricks, can we buy them on the island here?
There's a Sporting Goods store in Courtenay - Pete's (?) - where Rick Phipps works. He'll have them. If not, PM me and I'll hook you up with some.

Ruger4
09-15-2009, 10:03 PM
[quote=Bow Walker;486878]My current broahead of choice is the Muzzy MX-3 in 100 grain 8)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Muzzy_MX-3_100gr.jpg

xtremearchery
09-16-2009, 08:10 AM
slick trick mag 100's, rage 3 blades and G5 montecs. All these fly exactly the same as my points. I shoot an x-force @ 58 lbs with GT5575 pro arrows.

Bow Walker
09-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I've said it once and I'll keep saying it. Square your shafts - square the inserts - and spin the resulting arrows on an arrow spinner to check for TRUE.

Go get one of these - it's worth the few .$$

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Pine_Ridge_Arrow_Spinner.jpg

westhoyt
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
ok fine tuneing time, I cant get 100 grain fixed broadheads to shoot like my fielsd points, always 3 inches lower than my field tips.
My mechanicals shoot the same as my field points, so would it be a good idea to try 85 grain fixed broadheads to make up the 3 inch difference.
I tried an 85 grain field point and it shot about 3 inches high.
I dont want to play with my rest or nocking point, I managed 2 nice bucks with my bowthe way it is so I dont want to mess up a good thing, I would just like to be able to have the choice between mechanicals or fixed broadheads. Thanks Jody

Bow Walker
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Is this 'after season tuning'...and are you asking or telling?

chevboy1978
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Try the rage broadheads, as they work for me. My elk only went about 40 yards with my arrow through both lungs.

Kudu
12-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Grim reapers if you don't mind mechanicals, and NAP Nitron Broadheads if you want fixed blade. Both shot from my X Bow behave exactly the same as my field points.

BC Boy
12-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Slick tricks are awesome but if bow isnt tuned properly no broadhead will fly the same. Go to Archerytalk.com and do a search on broadhead tuning. If your hitting three inches low with your BH then you need to either move your nock point down a tiny bit or move your rest up. I took 2 whitetails with the same slicktrick this year, good luck setting up your bow, its worth it, if you need some help send me a PM.

Bow Walker
12-12-2009, 10:05 AM
BC Boy, JRJonesy, and Bowzone Mikey (and me) are all right on the money about both tuning the shaft and tuning the bow. If either one is not tuned to its potential you're going to be disappointed with your arrow flight and P.O.I.

Take the time (and what little energy is required) to read up on how to do "Walk Back Tuning" of your bow, and how to test and adjust your "Center Shot", and how to "Paper Tune" your bow.

After the bow - pay "anal attention" to the way you build your arrows. Or - make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to build them for you. Having the shaft cut perfectly square and the insert perfectly square to the shaft is very important for arrow (broadhead) flight. In fact it's impossible to achieve decent flight without it being done.

All this is not work. It's fun and is also a great learning experience. It's like tying your own flies for fishing and then going out and catching a nice fat trout for the pan. A great feeling of personal accomplishment when everything comes together.

Lorne
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Slick Tricks 100 grain

westhoyt
12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
OK I get it, sounds like I need to fine tune my bow and NOT start messing with different tip weights at the moment, Thanks Jody

Magnumb
12-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Slick tricks are my favorites, muzzy 4 blade a close second.

hardnocks
12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
i use slicktrick magnums. but my favorite are magnuss 4 blade stingers . for some reason they fly better with my setup and shooting style.

SMOLT333
01-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Slick Tricks x3 works for me . I shoot a Guardian And my arrow speed is 277 FPS.

MikeH
01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I want to try these slick tricks.Get a hold of the Easton Arrow and Tuning Maintenance Guide.Excellent read ,you can download it on torrents

Arrow Tuning and Maintenance Guide
Standard Tuning—Bare Shaft Planing Test
Paper Tuning Arrow Test
Short Distance Tuning—Trouble Shooting
Adjustments—Fine Tuning
Micro Tuning
Measuring and Cutting Shafts
Aluminum Shaft Components
Aluminum/Carbon Shaft Components
Carbon Composites - Internal & External Components
Installing Nock Systems

Bow Walker
01-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Slick Tricks should be stocked by anyone who has even a minimal selection of broadheads in their store. Drop into Abby and pick some up, or go onto Boormans in New West.

Maverick7
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM
RAGE 3 blade for sure. never had em fail only produce wicked entry and exits. and best of all they fly awesome and im shooting a speed bow

snareman1234
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
slick trick x4