PDA

View Full Version : 3-29 heller creek/porcupine meadows park

amerikazmoswanted23
07-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with heller creek/porcupine meadows park area in 3-29. Friend of mine told me it's alpine up there just wanted to get some opions on the spot before going to check it out.

MuleyMadness
07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
What kind of opinions are you looking for? What are you planning on hunting? What time of year? Most of the 'park' is closed to vehicle access most of the year, but if you get deep into it there are plenty of deer and moose as well. Don't think I would classify it as all alpine, but there is some for sure.

amerikazmoswanted23
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
i was thinking mule deer in sept so i would be looking for a 4 point or better was wondering if it would be a good area or if i would be just wasting my time.

Jelvis
07-23-2009, 08:18 PM
most wanted -- r u new to hunting or to the area ? How are you going to get there and from which road ? Which way. Have you researched yet the ways in ?
Jel -- talk about approach

amerikazmoswanted23
07-23-2009, 08:28 PM
i'm new to hunting started a couble years ago and i'm looking on finding new areas close to home. i was planing on going up batch towards tranquille lake but going straight towards criss creek instead of turning to the lake. the road spits left criss creek right heller creek.

jackpine
07-23-2009, 08:40 PM
there is no alpine up there.it is not quite high enough.

amerikazmoswanted23
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
i'm just looking to find some of these big mountian muleys i've been hearing about and seeing pics of.

Jelvis
07-23-2009, 09:00 PM
You could go up Oconner Lake road off of Westsyde road and turn onto Rushton Creek fsr and then cut up Wentworth Lake road to the Porcupine meadows park -- you could see mule deer all through that space --
Hunt on the way in driving slow and then when you get to a beauty spot park it and start hiking, you will see mule deer.
Try this route now a couple times and look and scout and mark down the km's where you see some and a place that you like, then when hunting opens you can blast a nice muley. Some big guns in there and it only gets better as the seaon goes along.
This would be good for you to drive a few times and see the country and some deer.
Jel - get to know this area cuz lots of good hunters go there for a reason -
check maps and google earth it. Start at Oconner Lake and scan the area roads to travel.
good luck this season.
This is in 3-28 until the park on this route I mentioned

Caveman
07-24-2009, 12:44 AM
In my opinion you don't need to go that far out. You're passing a lot of great deer country on your way. Take the Cut Off road just past Pass Lake. Climb to the top and check out all the fresh and older cuts here, and on what was the Old Sawmill Road. Plenty of deer in there.

MuleyMadness
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
You could go up Oconner Lake road off of Westsyde road and turn onto Rushton Creek fsr and then cut up Wentworth Lake road to the Porcupine meadows park -- you could see mule deer all through that space --
Hunt on the way in driving slow and then when you get to a beauty spot park it and start hiking, you will see mule deer.
Try this route now a couple times and look and scout and mark down the km's where you see some and a place that you like, then when hunting opens you can blast a nice muley. Some big guns in there and it only gets better as the seaon goes along.
This would be good for you to drive a few times and see the country and some deer.
Jel - get to know this area cuz lots of good hunters go there for a reason -
check maps and google earth it. Start at Oconner Lake and scan the area roads to travel.
good luck this season.
This is in 3-28 until the park on this route I mentioned

That's a good idea Jelvis...great hunting all up through there, but a lot of road warriors too...if you are road guy don't bother on the weekends, if you hike, it's great anytime. And if you come back down the same way, make sure to check out the alfalfa field on the east side of Westsyde road just by the gravel pit...there are some true monsters in there, just don't shoot them, it's private land and the owner doesn't allow anyone on there

Jelvis
07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
That farm by the gravel pit is in the city limits so even the farmer can't shoot haha -- otherwise it would have sold by now, lol.
The one road warrior and his little kid and a friend got the fifth biggest buck ever shot in BC road hunting that area right beside the road when actually road hunting -- 5th biggest ever -- haha -- it's all road hunting now for most early morning and towards evening up thar in dem dar hills friend-a-mine --
Jel -- hunter's start your en jines -- lol --

MuleyMadness
07-24-2009, 04:56 PM
The farm is not in City Limits...the city limits end 50 yards past dairy road my friend, and that is about 200 yards past that. The farmer has no interest in shooting, and actually enjoys the deer being there, and he could have them removed if he so choose, city limits or not, as they take a good chunk of his crop. Nothing wrong with road hunting if you have the eyes for it, and I have shot myself plenty of deer around there from the road, but I find I no longer am spotting em as well from the truck...I thinks I need some more time for my brain to figure out what I am seeing, if ya know what I mean. Another place in that area I would try if you're not adverse to a good hike is out past the McLure ferry on Westsyde road up on Skull mountain on the east side...tons of game, and most days you have it all to yourself if you are going to the places you can only walk into...regardless there are plenty of deer in all parts around there, it's just a matter of putting your time in. Never had a ton of success out that way myself early season as it seems the majority of the animals haven't come around yet, but late in the year it's outstanding with the big bucks getting pushed down from the high elevations.

jackpine
07-24-2009, 05:06 PM
actually,jelvis is correct.city boundary is not until after riverview dr. which is past o'connor lake rd.even the 1st 2 km or so up o'connor is technically city limits.

Jelvis
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Closer to Kamloops good for a evening drive out of town or north shore for a looky -- Up Oconner for a after work get a way from the home type a drive and POW ! I got LUCKY ! or You shoulda seen what I seeen dude -- lol --
Cause the big guns always get a way -- man that was a wall hanger up by Lanes creek wholley cow Bat Man !
Or go up McQueen creek via the McQueen Creek road for a TOAD ! Even closer to Kammy. Up Noble for a humoungis mule deer roman nozed buck where the record booker was taken way back Slack !
I'm not going to tell you what the Park Ranger who takes care of the whole area told me where the biggest buck a toids are. Oh no not now anyways, lol . later on in this thread it will be revealed in code and hints by rhymes and poetry and IF you decode WhoomP thar it i ayizz --
Later for the secret spot by a Noble area -- lol -- got ya sniffin -- 1
Jel -- soon --

amerikazmoswanted23
07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
i saw the feald across from the gravel pit in westsyde and i agrea there was some monsters in there. can you hunt at the top of the hill there ?

Jelvis
07-24-2009, 09:41 PM
If you go up far enough you can, that's something you look into on maps and see don't just ask people cuz they won't know exactly and will confuse you even more, just study map for Crown land and go -- know your area well and know your prey -- Inskip is good but the road up from westsyde that says Inskip is private so you see deer but no shooty. So go up the immediate next one north of that on westsyde road and start driving up and check map cuz good area for mule eyes -- Oconner Lake road past 2km
Go to 3100 rd just passed O'conner and in that gulley has many a hunter seen a muley buck -- where McCauley Cr runs into Lanes creek plus Williams Cr and Rushton creek and remember deer follow drainages when they go down or up in migration in mid fall and late spring. so meet at the 3100 --- BANG !
Jel--all these creeks meeting to go bowling in the Lanes creek -- Zeke --lol

amerikazmoswanted23
07-24-2009, 09:48 PM
thanks jel man i guess you're no completly evil like some ppl say (or are you hmmmm)

MuleyMadness
07-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Interesting you are right...just checked one of my civil engineering sites and it shows the old boundary where I thought, but now shows the extension to the city limits WAYYYYYYYYY out there to where Heffley Creek is (but of course on the Westsyde road side)...wonder if they're gonna extend services out that far now, or if it's just a city tax grab. :roll: Oh well...no where to really hunt there anyways...unless it's bumper hunting

Jelvis
07-25-2009, 12:25 AM
The westsyde road like your saying out to Jamieson creek has always got deer crossing the road to go down by the river side and back in the early mornings even in hunting season I guess they know they are safe from cougars and walk right by some of the houses -- so imagine up from the road in the forest ridges -- Mr. Big --
Jel beauty area lots of houses for sale and farms on this road all the way out --