PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting in 7-b

BRP700
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey I was thinking of going elk hunting in region 7-b and was wondering if anyone has been there or heard anything about the elk hunting up there, so if you know anything please share thanks.

ps. I'm a fairly new elk hunter so if you think there's anything i need to know please share.

sako_300
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
This is the general statement of the century....

Any idea where your going? lots of country in 7B.

There are alot of threads on here about elk hunting re: technique, timing, etc.

Best bet is to spend some time in the bush during the rut - Sept 1 all the way through to Oct some years.

BRP700
07-23-2009, 05:13 PM
im probably going in the muskwa, tuchodi river area late august early sept i've heard good things from friends but just wondering if you guys got any insite.

CanuckShooter
07-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Use a bugle to find them..and cow calls to attract them. Some of the elk on the Tuchodi only have one eye guard so make sure that 6 pt elk you see actually has 6. I was lucky enough to get invited to join in on a jet boat hunt up there a few years ago...and it was worth every penny...lots of elk..lots of opportunity if you put in the time to hunt 'em you should get several chances to score. I had the cross hairs on 6pt bulls at least 9 times over the few weeks I was there.....good luck!!

mr.280
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I love it up the Tuchodi' went up for a week in 05 and had a blast. My partner and I had three chances at nice bulls and on Sept 7th we baged this beauty.I hope to make it back up there with my son some day. Good luck!:-)
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/Summer05070ss.jpg

jml11
07-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Use a bugle to find them..and cow calls to attract them. Some of the elk on the Tuchodi only have one eye guard so make sure that 6 pt elk you see actually has 6.

MU 7-50 has a 3 point bull season until Sept 10th, so you don't have to worry about scoping out the antlers too much unless it is a young bull or you really just want a 6 point. Lots of big mature 5 points in that country that will dwarf some of the smaller 6 points. Also antlerless elk are wide open up there so it's almost impossible not to get an elk. The only safe ones are the spikes! The elk respond well to calling up there due to the large numbers of animals and extreme competition for cows. Hit the rut just right and the hunting is an absolute blast. Best luck has been first week of Sept.

jml11
07-25-2009, 10:05 PM
I love it up the Tuchodi' went up for a week in 05 and had a blast. My partner and I had three chances at nice bulls and on Sept 7th we baged this beauty.I hope to make it back up there with my son some day. Good luck!:-)
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/Summer05070ss.jpg

That is a pretty good bull for that part of the world! Nice Work!