PDA

View Full Version : Lodging In Tumbler Ridge

sparkymacker
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I am planning on taking my son up for the early moose hunt, but I am running out of time to organize things. Just wondering if there is a reasonable hunter friendly place to stay in Tumbler. Also is there a place to hang meat there?

elkdom
07-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I am planning on taking my son up for the early moose hunt, but I am running out of time to organize things. Just wondering if there is a reasonable hunter friendly place to stay in Tumbler. Also is there a place to hang meat there?

check telus directory for TR ( b&b's) there are hotels, some new and some old, but hotels are pricy and you wont get much of an outdoor experience, there is real nice Regional Park a couple of klms from town,secure and managed, clean washrooms,toilets, and heated showers, gravel pads, pinic tables,fire pits, firewood, nice setting on a river,,, August is nice weather, other than odd bit of rain, try tenting out!:cool:

good luck,,

Benthos
07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
there is the tumbler ridge inn, which sucks. the lakeview inn and suite, which is okay, but expensive at 140/night. a good b and b there is Mila's. I've stayed there while working and she is great.

i agree, stay at the campground near flatbed creek. oh, bring lots of food. the restaurants in tumbler are absolutely HORRIBLE.

elkdom
07-22-2009, 10:11 PM
there is the tumbler ridge inn, which sucks. the lakeview inn and suite, which is okay, but expensive at 140/night. a good b and b there is Mila's. I've stayed there while working and she is great.

i agree, stay at the campground near flatbed creek. oh, bring lots of food. the restaurants in tumbler are absolutely HORRIBLE.

so TRUE!, road kill coyote is better than the food in TR restaurants!

as for hanging meat?? I dont know about where in TR, you may have to take it to OMINECA Meats in DC, 1 hour drive each way,,,

sparkymacker
07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the information so far guys. I was just trying to avoid all the packing and preparation involved as I am busy at work and with home projects. Originally I was going to wall tent it. One hour drive is not bad for the meat, is that closer than Russell's in Chetwynd? I used them a few years ago and was happy with the job.

elkdom
07-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the information so far guys. I was just trying to avoid all the packing and preparation involved as I am busy at work and with home projects. Originally I was going to wall tent it. One hour drive is not bad for the meat, is that closer than Russell's in Chetwynd? I used them a few years ago and was happy with the job.
Russell's will do fine, and if you get meat cut, Rsl's would be the way to go,,

millage not much diff,,

Deadshot
07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Shop-Easy used to hang meat a few years ago. Don't know about now.
If you go to Russell's, you might as well have him cut & wrap, as the hanging fees add up quick.
If your staying at Flatbed Cr. don't forget the bug dope. They're thirsty little buggers down there. Too many for my liking.
Haven't been there in a few years, but done well when there.
Weather's a huge factor.
Lunatic would be the man to talk at.

Benthos
07-23-2009, 07:29 AM
it's almost 30C up here right now. hopefully it cools down over the next few weeks or you moose hunters are going to be hunting in shorts and wife beaters :biggrin:

lunatic
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Lots of places to stay in T.R. As others have said there are a few hotels, and some good B&B's. I would definately go with the campground though. Like Elkdom said, it's a nice setting, colse to town for food etc, hot showers, and a short drive to hunting. There is one good restaurant in town at the golfcourse. Strange hours though. Subway opened about a month ago and there is a Smitty's opening at the new hotel in the near future. Lakeview Inn's and Suites backed out of the deal to purchase the new hotel, so if you are interested in staying there I will have to get a phone # for you as it won't be listed under that title. PM me, and if you have a backroads mapbook or something along that line I can give you some pointers on areas to try.

lunatic
07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I forgot to mention that there is a guy here that has a cooler in his garage for hanging. I will try to find out if he will be here during that time. He will cut and wrap sometimes as well. Shopeasy no longer does wild meat since they have new owners. Russell's in Chetwynd or Omineca in Dawson would be your best bets depending on which direction from town you get your animal. Just have the phone numbers handy as they get real busy that time of year. Omineca has been full by the second day some years, and he will leave room for his longtime clients first.