PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Etiquette

Gope
07-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Well this year is my 3rd hunting and living on southern Vancouver island most of
it is covered in private land. Not wanting to be rude and invasive on another
property, i have to ask the question.

How would you ask for permission to hunt? walk onto the farm and knock on
the door? do you do this to his neighbors also in case you see a deer in their
field?

so far i have been allowed onto one farm, and found it a enjoyable place
to hunt.

would it be wrong to be carrying a 12pack to give to the farmer? (my buddy's suggested
this one :roll:)

When should i ask? week before opening? now? on opening?

sorry for the questions, but hey id rather ask and be wrong then knock and be wrong.

s

07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
I would suggest now is the time to be obtaining persmission rather then when the season is here. Plus waiting might result in other hunters being granted permission just because they asked first. Feel out the folks your asking , maybe offering to help out for a day, or some other constuctive offer to help out. Personnaly l would stay away from the booze gift as its easy to make assumptions, and your offer even though in good faith might be viewed as your lifestyle. Certainly find out if the people granting permission eat wild game and make a point of offering a portion of anything you harvest. The problem l run into is that other hunters have damaged property or left bad feelings with land owners which makes it hard on the rest of us........

BRP700
07-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I think that would be a good idea to offer a portion of the meat u harvest luckily i know a number of people who own alphalfa and hay feilds who are more then happy to let me hunt on them... good hunting to:grin:

bowhunterbruce
07-22-2009, 09:27 PM
yes offering to help around thier place with a chore or 2 is the type of offers that works.i have been successful many times attaining permission by useing the barter system ,you may want to assure your host that you will repect any and all requests and will be sure to take the whole carcas away to be cleaned in the bush away from all residents so it dosnt attract other unwanted animals.and they dont have to see any bloody parts. and ask if they eat wild game or if they would like to try it and make a point of delivering back to them as soon as possible.
oh ya and dont go asking all dressed in camo like your ready to hunt right away.they feel the pressure and almost always say no.
you show them first what you can do for them and do it and it will come back 10 fold

wolverine
07-22-2009, 09:43 PM
There's some good advice here. I agree, now is the time to ask for permission before the season and before others do. No booze. If you find out later that the guy likes a snort from time to time you can then stop by one day with a treat but I would say the main thing is to impress upon the landowner that you are not an idiot, that you don't shoot near or towards buildings and livestock and that you know that gates that are closed are meant to stay that way. Let him know you'll clean up after yourself, you don't leave shell casings in the fields and there will be no gut pile at the edge of the alfalfa field to draw coyotes and bears. I'm extremely fortunate that my best friends own a ranch and I hunt mostly on it but also on some of the neighboring ranches as well. I met these other ranchers while out moving cattle, branding or bring in hay or chopping green feed before the season. It greases the skids when they know that you understand how things work and aren't going to bugger things up for them. Good luck.