PDA

View Full Version : how much do you budget for your hunt?

Mr. Friendly
07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm going for 9 days and wondering how you figure how much to budget for your hunt. :roll:

lip_ripper00
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
14 days, 3 people, 700.00 each fuel and food.:smile:

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
250 Bucks in Freeze dried
400 bucks fuel to Muncho
2000 Bucks airfare from Muncho
12 Bucks for a Moose Salami Sandwich from the Lodge

39"Ram

Priceless

Ironball
07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
8 people 550.00 ea. for 8 days.That includes fuel, food, cut and wrap{basic cuts}.Bring your own beer and 1 dinner for 8 people.Thats a cheap holiday

Kirby
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Depends, distance, type of hunt, a 9 day fly in, couple grand, 9 day hike in back country couple hundred.

Kirby

dougan
07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
we have been using 700 dollars per person the system works like this when you all get into the truck we all put 300 dollars each in an envelope that is our ferry gas and travel food money if it runs low every one throws in another 100 at the end of the trip split the left over money between each other. never any sour grapes that someone paid more than another guy i suggest you try this it works very well.

SteadyGirl
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
I don't put much thought into how much what is going to cost anymore, its kinda nice:grin:

Barracuda
07-22-2009, 05:57 PM
just gas food and time. some folks like to buy everything + the kitchen sink but for us we like it simple.

Jelvis
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
ten dollars worth of gas for to go big mule deer hunting from my place to huge mule deer -- wrapping paper that's it for deer.
moose same for gas but more money for the butcher's specialty meats
Jel -- bc hunting right out of Kammy into paradise -- one hour -- Bam !

elkdom
07-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm going for 9 days and wondering how you figure how much to budget for your hunt. :roll:

dunno?? it could be tough this year!, gimme a minute I will prioritize!!! hmmmmm,,,

the wife needs a heart transplant, but if I pack the firewood into the house after she splits and piles it,,, we should be OK!

the daughter needs some dental work,,, but I found some online pain killers,, a bit out of date , but they should work out OK, for a while, I guess,,,

the one son is in jail and needs bail,,, but he'll probably just get in trouble again if I bail him out ??, so for now he's OK,,,

the other son starts DEPOT in the RCMP in September this fall, so he dont need any more help,,, he seems OK,, free room and board and wages, thats OK, ehh??

geeses! the BUDGET for hunting looks fantastic this year! ,,,the SKY's the LIMIT! :wink::biggrin:

ROEBUCK
07-22-2009, 06:02 PM
depends what im hunting!
i can hunt deer/ moose and bear right from my back door, my property backs onto crown land so zero dollars for me

Goliath
07-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Moose or Elk: 16 days, 4 guys, 2 trucks, top of the line camp and gear setup, great food, all for around $800 each.

Of course, the $800 doesn't include any hardware cost (auto,trailer,boat,atv,guns,optics bla bla bla).

Deer is much simpler...$250 each for 5 days.

sawmill
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah,I`m lucky too,I live where I hunt.One day though it`s a charter fishing trip to Pr.Rupert!

quadrakid
07-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Its my yearly vacation so i don,t really budget. I spend what i have to and enjoy myself.

sparkes3
07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
1000 /1500 depends where we are going

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
How long is a rope???:roll:

As everyone has mentioned...it certainlly depends on the style of hunt you do.
2 week Fly-in for Dalls last year was about $1000-1200 and that includes diesel fuel from southern BC and air charter. You don't eat much over two weeks or use any fuel or drink any booze (or anything else for that matter)so don't forget to use that to justify spending some money:smile:

SSS

moosinaround
07-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Budget??? Whatever it takes!!!! Elk hunt will be what it will be!! Moose hunt locally will probably be 100 bucks per weekend for fuel, and whatever cut and wrapping is. Not to mention the bucks I spent on reloading, fixing the quad, camper ect. Whatever it takes?:eek: Moosin

blackbart
07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
I budget a whole lot less than anyone from outside of BC does for the same hunt!!

Regardless of the current gripes about LEH, Reg changes, GO's, FN's etc etc etc we, as BC residents have it very very very good in the overall scheme of things.

Personally my hunts (outside of tags and licence) will cost anywhere from $0 (walk out the back door for deer) to $1,500 (drive north and charter a flight for curly horned critters).

Shoot straight, but not often in '09.

The Dawg
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Budget??? Whatever it takes!!!! Elk hunt will be what it will be!! Moose hunt locally will probably be 100 bucks per weekend for fuel, and whatever cut and wrapping is. Not to mention the bucks I spent on reloading, fixing the quad, camper ect. Whatever it takes?:eek: Moosin

Divided two ways, sometimes three isnt that bad either :D

Brett
07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Yah Ok! I'll bite. We split three ways. But remember, Thats Moosinarounds and my LEH :)

leadpillproductions
07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
When it comes to hunting what ever it costs.

Kody94
07-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Anywhere from $20 for gas and Tim Hortons, to $30K for cape buff in Tanzania (admittedly, that took a heckuva long time to pay for!).

Other than the extremely rare ultra-expense like the trip to Tanz, I don't really budget for hunting....its what I do and who I am. I budget for everything else.

Cheers
4Ster

Wild one
07-22-2009, 09:45 PM
No budget here just what ever the money at the time will allow

ROY-alty33
07-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Just hunt till the money runs out...lol
Our group averages 60-75 bucks a day, but all kinds of variables come into play.

BCRiverBoater
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
No budget. I find the trip or animal I want and I plan the hunt. Whatever the cost is I go for it.

ElkMasterC
07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
250 Bucks in Freeze dried
400 bucks fuel to Muncho
2000 Bucks airfare from Muncho
12 Bucks for a Moose Salami Sandwich from the Lodge

39"Ram

Priceless

KY Jelly 37.50
Trojan "Mini-Me" condoms 12.75
"Ladyboy" magazine 3.45
Pepperoni, Smokies and Franks, 67.84
3 nights at the "No-Tell Motel" 234.95
Paying off local Vice cops $20 plus a large Timbits Multi-Pack
Buying a moose off the locals 875 dollars and fiddy cen.

Telling your buddies in Vancouver's West End you went "Hunting": Priceless

Steeleco
07-23-2009, 12:14 AM
One more vote "pay as you go" We all keep our receipts and equal things out when all is done.

Stresd
07-23-2009, 07:06 AM
BUDGET??:confused: When it comes to hunting. What ever it takes.;)

THE SWEDE
07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
KY Jelly 37.50
Trojan "Mini-Me" condoms 12.75
"Ladyboy" magazine 3.45
Pepperoni, Smokies and Franks, 67.84
3 nights at the "No-Tell Motel" 234.95
Paying off local Vice cops $20 plus a large Timbits Multi-Pack
Buying a moose off the locals 875 dollars and fiddy cen.

Telling your buddies in Vancouver's West End you went "Hunting": Priceless

LOL That is priceless.

danfloris
07-23-2009, 07:35 AM
we go elk hunting 11 hrs away from home. there is 3 of us so we all put 300 bucks in the glove box for gas and at the end of the trip split it up evenly. for food its a 9 day hunt so i will bring 3 huge breakfasts and 3 huge dinners and snacks. the other guys do the same, that way at least 3 day you can eat what you want. i bring 1000 buckaroos with me just to be safe.
its always worth the money.

Kody94
07-23-2009, 08:00 AM
there is 3 of us so we all put 300 bucks in the glove box for gas and at the end of the trip split it up evenly.

That's a great system, and I see a few guys are using it.

I change it up just a little though, as its often the same guy that drives year after year, or most years.

At work we usually calculate that maintenance on a vehicle (including tires) costs about $0.07/km. For personal trips I figger its fair to round that up to $0.10/km for quick math. So if three guys go on a 2000km round trip, the total cost for "wear and tear" is $200. Subtracting the drivers third of that leaves about $140, using round numbers that are easily divisible by $20's.... :)

So whatever is left over in the glovey at the end of the trip, in this example the first $140 or so goes to the truck owner, and the rest gets split 3 ways.

Its seems nit-picky but I have seen friendships sour over time because of ignoring little things like this and I'd rather have everyone feel like they got treated fairly. With my best friends that I have been hunting or traveling together lots over the years we are usually over-generous with each other, but its not uncommon that these trips include a new guy or someone that's a little tight with his wallet...so this just eliminates one possibility for someone to feel taken advantage of.

It gets complicated when one guy drives 6 hours to pick up the second guy, then they drive together for 5 hours and drop of that truck and jump in the third guys truck for the remaining 15 hours of the trip. :)

bigwhiteys
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Its seems nit-picky but I have seen friendships sour over time because of ignoring little things like this and I'd rather have everyone feel like they got treated fairly.

Most of my hunting buddies are great with splitting costs... But I have one though who seems to think trucks run on "thank you" and he never pays for squat... His wallet is as tight as a nuns __t. I wonder if he's realized he never gets invited anymore?

This is the same guy who I went partners on a camper van with... I paid for repairs, I stored it, then I also sold it and being the good friend I was paid him $500 (1/2 the sale price)

The 10' aluminum boat we went halfers on... Still sits at his house, I don't ever get to use it, and when I asked if he wanted to pay me out for my half, he hummed, hawed... blah blah, as if I should have given it to him.

I hate people like that, I'd say it's definitely strained the relationship a little, I won't invite him for any trips.

Our last spring bear trip, he paid me $40 for gas, food and booze for a 3 day trip. The beer he drank alone was $40 let alone the food and I burned about $200 in gas, If the guy was hard up for cash I could understand, but he's not.

Carl

hunter1947
07-23-2009, 08:50 AM
I go from the last years hunt and add about $200.00 more for this years hunt.

Ltbullken
07-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Whatever the credit card will take :???: and pay it off!!

Mik
07-23-2009, 07:32 PM
5 people, 10 days, 850 each. That includes fuel, food, oil change and detail on the truck after the hunt. Every reciept is put in the envelope with the persons name that paid and then split when we get home.

Steeleco
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Some money smart member should tally up all this budgeted money and then fwd to the government just how much we hunters spend each year. And that's just our little family!!! There's lots of hunters that don't know of HBC, sad but true LOL!!!

Gateholio
07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I don't make any budget for hunting. Never even thought abotu it. I'll split gas but dont' split wear and tear. If we always used one guys truck, that woudl make sense, but we use different vehicles. If we are in my truck, my buddies dont' have to pay for gas, either.:-D

If I take a long trip in a buddys truck, I am happy to split gas and pick up a meal or 2 on the road.

I've had cheapos hunt with me, and it just won't happen again. I won't hunt with cheap people. I'm pretty generous and always try to pay my way plus a bit extra, but I'm not a Line of Credit.

GoatGuy
07-24-2009, 02:22 AM
Most of my hunting buddies are great with splitting costs... But I have one though who seems to think trucks run on "thank you" and he never pays for squat... His wallet is as tight as a nuns __t. I wonder if he's realized he never gets invited anymore?

This is the same guy who I went partners on a camper van with... I paid for repairs, I stored it, then I also sold it and being the good friend I was paid him $500 (1/2 the sale price)

The 10' aluminum boat we went halfers on... Still sits at his house, I don't ever get to use it, and when I asked if he wanted to pay me out for my half, he hummed, hawed... blah blah, as if I should have given it to him.

I hate people like that, I'd say it's definitely strained the relationship a little, I won't invite him for any trips.

Our last spring bear trip, he paid me $40 for gas, food and booze for a 3 day trip. The beer he drank alone was $40 let alone the food and I burned about $200 in gas, If the guy was hard up for cash I could understand, but he's not.

Carl

Life's way too short to go on a second trip with a guy like that.

Hunting's supposed to be the 'fun part' of life, not the stressful part.

Kody94
07-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Hunting's supposed to be the 'fun part' of life, not the stressful part.

I've had cheapos hunt with me, and it just won't happen again. I won't hunt with cheap people. I'm pretty generous and always try to pay my way plus a bit extra, but I'm not a Line of Credit.

Well put. Same here....although I have been stoopid enough to hunt with a couple cheapos more than once. I am not the type that would let a few bucks take the shine off of a good time...so I typically round up a fair margin when paying/contributing my share. All my good friends are like that too....but there never seems to be a shortage of guys that left their wallet in their other pants, or don't have a vehicle worthy of a trip, etc...

hunter1947
07-24-2009, 07:37 AM
There is no hassle or arguing when we do it this way all is fair ,when we head off on our two week hunting trip there is a small plastic container in the glove compartment in one of the two trucks ,each person puts in $200.00 from the two trucks with two people in each truck.

When the two trucks stop and get gas it comes out of the same pot as for the food ferries etc , one of the trucks get worse gas mileage because he is towing a trailer and why should he pay more for over-length on the ferry.

Once we get low in the cash container ,we all put in another $200.00 bucks ,we do this till we are back home ,then if any money left in the container we slit it 4 ways :wink:.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm pretty generous and always try to pay my way plus a bit extra, but I'm not a Line of Credit.

I am the same way... But when I supply the tent, complete camp, food, , truck, quad gas, spotter, binos etc... And my partner contributes $40 for a trip that cost me several hundred he can kiss my a$$.

Life's way too short to go on a second trip with a guy like that.

It won't be happening again! Thankfully, I have a few more reliable friends and hunting partners that are eager to go with me and pay their share.

So a reminder to all you cheap skates... We are all onto your little games!even if your partner doesn't say anything, he'd probably like to smack you upside the head. I would never let a buddy down like that.

Carl

high and to the right
07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Rationalization:

Cost of food - I have to eat any way

Cost of fuel - I drive to sporting events, and go on holidays so why separate this cost from other ones

Cost of guns - I target shoot so no cost here

Cost of Licenses - Hey, it's like buying 700 lbs of meat for $100

Cost of Quad - I go quadding even if I'm not hunting

Cost of GPS - again, a quadding expense

Total cost of trip: $2.00 for a bullet. (OK $8.00 if I shoot 4 animals)

Gateholio
07-24-2009, 09:55 AM
I am the same way... But when I supply the tent, complete camp, food, , truck, quad gas, spotter, binos etc... And my partner contributes $40 for a trip that cost me several hundred he can kiss my a$$.

It won't be happening again! Thankfully, I have a few more reliable friends and hunting partners that are eager to go with me and pay their share.

So a reminder to all you cheap skates... We are all onto your little games!even if your partner doesn't say anything, he'd probably like to smack you upside the head. I would never let a buddy down like that.

Carl

Guys like that drive me nuts.

Not only will I not hunt with cheapos, I can't stand them,and won't share any sort of expense with them. Once it's established that I am dealing wiht a cheap person, I won't even split a restaurant bill with them, I'll ask for separate checks. Too often I've seen people weasel out of contirbuting thier share of tip or taxes because "there was enough money already there"

elkdom
07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Guys like that drive me nuts.

Not only will I not hunt with cheapos, I can't stand them,and won't share any sort of expense with them. Once it's established that I am dealing wiht a cheap person, I won't even split a restaurant bill with them, I'll ask for separate checks. Too often I've seen people weasel out of contirbuting thier share of tip or taxes because "there was enough money already there"
I notice quite often the the BIGGEST EATERS, are often the cheapest when it comes to PAYING their share!:-x

but on a happier note!,,, is that wiener roast and beerfest still on in your back yard this weekend???:redface: :razz:

Barracuda
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I dont much like spending money for the sake of spending it .
Money is a tool not a toy .
I have no problem getting a seperate bill when it comes to eating out or i will add up my portion and pay that plus tip . I also will pay for someones meal because i choose too with no expectaions or strings attached for them to pick up the next one .

I dont like group buys when it is food that i cant eat or food i wont eat.

i really dont like shareing costs with folks that are overindulgent or wastefull , Like minded folks are easy but the fellow that feels the need to buy 25 dollar steaks or lobster etc for a hunting trip is out to lunch .
Breakfast is normally a safe bet for most folks though.

Fuel and consumeable costs are a no brainer

GoatGuy
07-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Well put. Same here....although I have been stoopid enough to hunt with a couple cheapos more than once. I am not the type that would let a few bucks take the shine off of a good time...so I typically round up a fair margin when paying/contributing my share. All my good friends are like that too....but there never seems to be a shortage of guys that left their wallet in their other pants, or don't have a vehicle worthy of a trip, etc...

I've been sponsoring one kid for the past 8 years, doesn't bother me either but I certainly don't like being stressed out going hunting - rather go alone.

Kody94
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I've been sponsoring one kid for the past 8 years, doesn't bother me either but I certainly don't like being stressed out going hunting - rather go alone.

Me either...I get plenty of stress at my day job, and hunting is my way of relieving that stress.

Same reason I don't get too engaged in arguments on the intraweb (here and elsewhere)....the last thing I need is more stress than I am already suffering.

FlyingHigh
07-24-2009, 02:57 PM
generally, on hunting and fishing trips i pay for all the fuel on my mastercard. when we get home, we take the total cost and split it evenly among the people went on the trip. i don't really charge for wear and tear on my truck, even though it's pretty much the only vehicle we take.

as for food, each person bring pretty much what they want to eat. we work out a meal plan before the trip, but rarely stick to it. if we're in a gas station and i decide i want chips, i get chips. that's my cost and isn't shared. however, a buddy may eat some of my chips, which in turn means i get to drink some of his beer. :D

i think it's important to split costs in such a way that everyone is happy at the end.

born2hunt
07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I dont really care what it cost to be honest! It is what it is , A HOLIDAY and there priceless when there spent with your kids.If i have to go with someone whos all worried about the cost then i,ll go by myself thanks ,

d6dan
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM
There is no hassle or arguing when we do it this way all is fair ,when we head off on our two week hunting trip there is a small plastic container in the glove compartment in one of the two trucks ,each person puts in $200.00 from the two trucks with two people in each truck.

When the two trucks stop and get gas it comes out of the same pot as for the food ferries etc , one of the trucks get worse gas mileage because he is towing a trailer and why should he pay more for over-length on the ferry.

Once we get low in the cash container ,we all put in another $200.00 bucks ,we do this till we are back home ,then if any money left in the container we slit it 4 ways :wink:.

I like that system Wayne. Every time I go, I never pay my Brother anything, we use his truck and cutting facilities, but he has to remember the times i took him when he was 12 and older. I paid the shot.. just brothers I guess.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM

If you're taking out a younger guy so that he can get out hunting, then for me it would be a non-issue about paying for him and making sure he has a good time. I'd pick up that tab in a heartbeat and likely will be for a looooong time when my 3 boys start hunting.

If he was a grown man, with a good job and was just being cheap, that's a different story!

Carl