PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on region 5?

Moose72
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
So? What are peoples thoughts on the changes to the deer season in region 5 this year?

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Should have been done years ago.Years of blastin any little during the rut has taken its toll.Better late than never I supose

steelheadSABO
07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
i think it sucks but what can you do they should of made a spike fork moose open season

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
i think it sucks but what can you do they should of made a spike fork moose open season

Why??So all the mistakes can be left in the bush.OOps it has 3 points.In a region or unit cant support harvest of "any bull" there should be a season at all.

f350ps
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Should have been done years ago.Years of blastin any little during the rut has taken its toll.Better late than never I supose
Interesting perspective, couldn't disagree more! Is there a shortage of Deer in Reg.5?

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Interesting perspective, couldn't disagree more! Is there a shortage of Deer in Reg.5?

Harder and harder to find a quality buck.And yes before yuo spout off I know how to hunt:roll:

dime
07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
My feelings are summarized in this email I sent in response to the form letter they sent out to justify their decision to make these changes:

Dear Tom,
Firstly, you have admitted that region 5 doesn't have a conservation problem with mule deer at this time. In fact the number of mule deer are at record highs, as evidenced by many different measures. If there is a "problem" with a buck:doe ratio, would it not make more sense to expand the LEH allocation for females, or better yet implement a general open season to bring the numbers in to alignment with the provincial standard?
Secondly, you say that the decisions made " should have a relatively small impact on most hunters" but this statement is predicated on the fact that harvest success will be directly correlated to number of hunting days. This is certainly not the case if the number of deer that are available to hunt during the four point or better season is dramatically smaller than the number during an any buck season. As 50 out of the total of 81 days have this restriction how can you reasonably claim that the opportunities are not lessened.
Finally the change from a regional bag limit of two bucks to one will also have a negative impact on a hunters ability to provide for their families.

Perhaps when formulating these arguments you should think of the small business owners who depend on the money generated by hunters traveling to the Cariboo/Chilcotin, the diminished ability of local hunters to provide for their families and the current economic crisis that sees this decision come at the worst possible time.

The decision has clearly already been made, but I think that it is shameful to try to dupe the hunting public into believing that there is sound scientific logic behind the changes you have made, and not a political agenda.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxx

Squirrelnuts
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Harder and harder to find a quality buck.And yes before yuo spout off I know how to hunt:roll:

What, exactly, is a "quality buck"? Is it related to a "quality hunt"?

plumbob
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I've hunted reg 5 for over 20 years and yes there has been some decline not what people are saying in my books as I have seen and manage to harvest a great buck every year.No this change doesn't bother me a bit as it will give the little guys a bit of a chance to grow.

Fisher-Dude
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I've hunted reg 5 for over 20 years and yes there has been some decline not what people are saying in my books as I have seen and manage to harvest a great buck every year.No this change doesn't bother me a bit as it will give the little guys a bit of a chance to grow.

Why do they need to grow?

BRP700
07-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I think there should be a spike fork season to steelheadSABO i dont like how they dont have a youth season either

f350ps
07-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Why??So all the mistakes can be left in the bush.OOps it has 3 points.In a region or unit cant support harvest of "any bull" there should be a season at all.
And another interesting perspective! Is it only Reg.5 hunters with bad eyesight and poor judgement? No shortage of Moose in 5 yet other regions can support an Immy season. If you remember correctly the MOE tried to have an Immy season but a special interest group would have none of it and it was cancelled. K

tomahawk
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
It is what it is and there is nothing that will change it. Hopefully it was changed based on facts and data and we'll see better deer numbers in the future.

cariboobill
07-22-2009, 07:52 PM
For me I welcome if this helps, but there is no evidence to support a doe to buck management argument with a 4 point only season. There is more predators here in Region 5 than ever and more winter kill last year. Also to reduce resident hunters GOS to 1 deer and not reducing the Guide Outfitters quota SUCKS.

For me, living in Region 5, the big deal is loosing or getting my GOS mule deer limited reduced and no change to the commercial hunting industry limits. I now have to travel outside my region to feed my family as I have not had any luck with LEH in 4 years. So much for Campbell's Green plan, as I drive to other regions for food.

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 08:11 PM
And another interesting perspective! Is it only Reg.5 hunters with bad eyesight and poor judgement? No shortage of Moose in 5 yet other regions can support an Immy season. If you remember correctly the MOE tried to have an Immy season but a special interest group would have none of it and it was cancelled. K

No.I think it should be anybull or nothing.No matter the region.If it wasnt for that special intrest group alot more mistakes would have been made.Good on em.Despite what you may think it wasnt for they're own greed it was for the betterment of the resource

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
What, exactly, is a "quality buck"? Is it related to a "quality hunt"?

I undersatnd what your getting at.Im not looking for any old freezer buck.Sure theres lots of good hunting to be had.Just have to work a lot harder for what"I" consider a quality buck..May not be Dana worthy,but close to it

oldtimer
07-22-2009, 08:16 PM
As stated earlier on another post. The predators love the changes. I have lived here since 82 and have never seen so many wolves and cougars and yes still see a lot of deer. I am a meat hunter and I guess this year I will be giving up 1 buck to the predators. If I was to describe the person that made this decision it would be "DUMB ASS " !!!! Mike

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Residents for quality hunts...no doubt.:-|

SSS

Jelvis
07-22-2009, 08:28 PM
It must be saddening to be shut down for mule deer from Nov 11th on til the 21st because of what you were used to -- now one buck and new season.
MOE must have a darn good rah eason 4 this. Probably to bring it along with the rest of the regions -- spread the hunters around a bit more --
It won't ever go back the way it was either -- still some world class hunting in 5 for mule deer. Fantastic habitat and climate in 5.
The best to all 5 ver's from all the 3 er's may you get what your after --
Jelly n dah thompson -- river basin -- around Mayson --

Kody94
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
So, does anyone here know if there anything to the rumour that there was a mistake made with Region 5 Muley season this year? I heard that the actual regulation change does not match the synopsis.

??

Stone Sheep Steve
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
So, does anyone here know if there anything to the rumour that there was a mistake made with Region 5 Muley season this year? I heard that the actual regulation change does not match the synopsis.

??

Accidently left out the early 4pt season.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/CorrectionsPoster.pdf

SSS

Kody94
07-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks SSS. That's what I had heard, but hadn't seen the actual correction yet and was curious if there was more to it than that.

Cheers
4ster

MIL720
07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I undersatnd what your getting at.Im not looking for any old freezer buck.Sure theres lots of good hunting to be had.Just have to work a lot harder for what"I" consider a quality buck..May not be Dana worthy,but close to it
Just another trophy hunter than.Pre64 says : screw hunting for the meat, I want the hardware on his head.....Classyhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Moose72
07-22-2009, 09:15 PM
No mistake, it matches.

dana
07-22-2009, 09:48 PM
No where in the pre-regulation discussions did they mention canning the early 4 point season. IMO, they were miffed at residents accussing them of being in bed with the outfitters so at the last minute they said, "F*** Them ALL!!!" The only hope in hell of any decent bucks being killed by any outfitters was that early 4 point season. Snow hits the highcountry pretty early and most years Sept 10th is too late to hunt bucks in their causal summer routines. There has got to be some outfitters that are hot enough to f*** over this regulation change. As a resident hunter, I certainly am. Was planning on hitting that highcountry early with my boy and proving to the MOE whinners that they do in fact still have some big boys roaming the hills, but, I guess the MOE didn't want to be proved wrong eh?

Anyone that thinks these seasons are good have no concept on how their hunting rights are being taken away from them bit by bit. The outfitters are pushing for LEH on bucks and the MOE is caught hook line and sinker in their line of reasoning. You guys bitch about never getting drawn now, just wait until the Gang goes on draw with odds that will rival Kamloops Sheep. Do you like to hunt or do you like to sit on the internet and talk about hunting??? If you like these seasons, you can bet you won't be hunting much in the future.

As for Trophy Quality, these seasons won't cause more big bucks to get killed by hunters. The outfitters will still be shooting their lame ass dink 140 class bucks and wondering why the Yanks are booking in CO, AZ, UT, NM and WY rather than booking in BC. If you want to pound a 200 incher, BC is the last place to come and get er done. Not because they ain't here, but the outfitters are too damn lazy to actually do their homework. No amount of season changes will change that fact. Meanwhile, dana and his crew of weekend warrior residents will continue to kick ass on the entire GOABC year after year.

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Just another trophy hunter than.Pre64 says : screw hunting for the meat, I want the hardware on his head.....Classyhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Great comment.I eat what a shoot.Whos harder on the resource?Lets say I shoot a buck every 3 years?You shoot 2 or 3 bucks every years?I dont know why us hog hunters get a bad rap?Jelousy maybe.Restraint dont come easy.Maybe its not the quality of deer than has gone down..just the quality of the hunters:eek:

dana
07-22-2009, 10:09 PM
So what is easier on the resource, letting a kid shoot his first deer or letting a pack of wolves kill countless deer every week? Do you know how many deer a lion eats every year? I guess the yotes deserve to eat more venison that the resident hunters do eh? What is better, feeding your family on good wholesome organic meat in these tough ecomonic times, like when mills are dropping off the face of the earth in the Cariboo, or let some selfish dick say all men must hunt like me and I want big 4 points behind every tree. If you are a trophy hunter, fine. Hunt like one. Get off your ass and get r done. No special season is going to get you a smart ol' roman nosed buck.

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
So what is easier on the resource, letting a kid shoot his first deer or letting a pack of wolves kill countless deer every week? Do you know how many deer a lion eats every year? I guess the yotes deserve to eat more venison that the resident hunters do eh? What is better, feeding your family on good wholesome organic meat in these tough ecomonic times, like when mills are dropping off the face of the earth in the Cariboo, or let some selfish dick say all men must hunt like me and I want big 4 points behind every tree. If you are a trophy hunter, fine. Hunt like one. Get off your ass and get r done. No special season is going to get you a smart ol' roman nosed buck.

Exactly I totally agree.Even about the dick part.Monster 4 points behind every tree means theres something wrong.I just think any buck through the rut is a mistake.

Timbow
07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
The part that I don't understand is the fact that predator numbers have increased due to an abundance of game animals. So the Ministry cuts back the bag limit on bucks and changes the season. Sure the Minisrty had consultation with the natives, GOABC, predators and lastly the residents. Now we all know that the easiest group is to control the resident.

I strongly think that the predator at the table was represented by a wolf, but now I think that the wolf was actually a member from the GOABC inside the wolf costume.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

reach
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
No where in the pre-regulation discussions did they mention canning the early 4 point season.
That was a mistake (an omission from the regulations synopsis) and has been corrected. The early 4 point season is still open.

bridger
07-23-2009, 05:09 AM

stastics show that illegal kill in spke fork seasons is not that severe

cariboobill
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
It is clear there is NO conservation issue here on Mule Deer populations in Region 5, MOE admitted this. It is a clear attempt to remove our right to hunt and give it to commercial interests.

Who is willing to take the government to court? So far no one except the First Nation who have won court decisions that confirmed their rights to natural resources like fish and wildlife.

The public, under our Constitution, have the right to fish and wildlife before commercial interests. This is a fact and we do have a good case if we want to take the right for the public to harvest food over the right of commercial hunting to court. It is time for the BCWF to do this.

BRP700
07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I think there should definitively be a moose season even spike fork

betteroffishing
07-23-2009, 05:32 PM
just returned from sheraton lake and i can assure you , no deer shortage , lottsa moose. its a complete joke . maybe if the bcwf was willing to do more going to bat for the res hunter more res hunters would be willing to pay their dues , but as it stands its kinda like a magasine subscription service that occasionally talks some bs to keep things interesting.

TPK
07-23-2009, 07:12 PM
maybe if the bcwf was willing to do more going to bat for the res hunter

Interesting comment but I want to point out the BCWF V.P. and past President are resident hunters in Region 5 and have been doing their best.

Jagermeister
07-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I started hunting Region 5 in 1972 and I quit hunting it when the GOS for moose closed. I entered the customary LEH for the region and never got one, this year included. My thoughts on hunting the region? A waste of time! An immature moose opening can be accomodated, but that will not happen so long as the First Nations of the area have a veto on it.
I feel sorry for those businesses that eagerly anticipated the arrival of hunting season and the influx of out of region hunters. It was a boon to them. The current situation is a boon only to the guides and outfitters and those that they employ.
Hell, Region 5it could probably support a limited elk season, but that will not happen either for the aforementioned reasons.
Perhaps the BCWF is failing the resident hunters in the lobbying effort. Maybe the resident hunters are failing themselves. The First Nations effectively shut down the immature season for moose by threatening to blockade the MOE offices in Williams Lake. Why don't we adopt the same tactic and take a more proactive approach, like not buying a licence for next year. Our problem as resident hunters is that we cannot come together on something like that, so we will just have to suck up what is meagerly tossed in our direction.

TPK
07-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe the resident hunters are failing themselves.

I believe this is the case to a degree. Too many of us become "Slacktivists" and feel that the money we pay to join various organizations is all that is required. That having done so, the ball is now in "their court" to fight for us as we've done our part by giving them money. Sorry, but that does not cut it. While it's true to a degree and yes, we should be getting "what we pay for", our hunting rights are way too important to "leave" with anyone or any group to fight for on our behalf. We still have to do our part writing letters and making phone calls. What effect do think one letter from BCWF has on Mr. Penner and his Office VS several hundred from concerned resident hunters?

This was the point I was trying to get across at the BCWF Convention when it was voted on and passed to give larger clubs more representation at the conventions. It's not needed at that level. If the BCWF was going in a direction a larger club didn't like and everyone of their 1000 plus members wrote a letter .. Mr. Penner and Co. are not going to ignore that just because BCWF says differently ...

Any way, my point is, stand up and be counted, let your voice be heard. If you don't like what's going on, write a letter or make a phone call, don't piss and moan that "others" aren't doing enough for you. I realize for the most part I'm preaching to the converted here ... but there are a great many that haven't yet heard the calling .....

GoatGuy
07-24-2009, 10:43 AM

I can assure you that most hunters can count correctly.

Who you hang out with and hunt with is your business.

How's the landscaping business?

mpotzold
07-24-2009, 04:58 PM
[quote=Moose72;485585]So? What are peoples thoughts on the changes to the deer season in region 5 this year

Not one iota in agreement with the new regs . I hope the MOE sobers up and reinstates deer hunting regs to at least the 2008-2009 level and possibly introduce a GOS antlerless deer for say 10-14 days on a trial basis for the 2010-2011 season.
I’ve hunted 5-03 since 1968. Nowadays there are many,many more road hunters so the deer IMO learned to stay away from easy access areas and are found in more secluded, rugged & safer places.
My point is that there is just as many if not a lot more deer(including 4 pointers) as there were 40 years ago-one simply has to get off his butt and do some serious hiking.