PDA

View Full Version : 7-31 moose and grizzly

pazura19
07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
my dad asked me if i would go on a hunting trip with one of his friends because he has no one to go with and my dad or my bro cant go.
the hunt is in 7-31 and we would leave august 15th im pretty sure, so i have to give him a answer today. i would be hunting for moose, im pretty sure its open for anybull and my dads friend has a LEH grizzly hunt in this area.
if anyone has hunted moose in this area, if you could give me some info that would be great

hillclimber
07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
to answer your question you can shoot any bull moose in 7-31 from august 15-31. i am also trying to persuade my old man to head up there for a few days. if anyone is able to help you out feel free to pm me too!

THE SWEDE
07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
to answer your question you can shoot any moose in 7-31 from august 15-31. i am also trying to persuade my old man to head up there for a few days.

Heat Hornets and Blow flies.Good times

moosinaround
07-22-2009, 06:17 PM
to answer your question you can shoot any moose in 7-31 from august 15-31. i am also trying to persuade my old man to head up there for a few days. if anyone is able to help you out feel free to pm me too!
ANY BULL MOOSE!!!

gbear
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't hunt that zone much at all, but I have been around it, and some co-workers make the odd trip in there and it's produced a number of moose and a couple grizzlies for some of the guys.

The zone is north and west of Chetwynd. One road system is the Callizon (sp?). It takes off from highway 97 as you pretty much get through the Pine Pass. That road goes all the way to Williston Lake. There is an old burn but I think it's getting pretty thick and there are some cutblocks. It does have a lot of berries in the high elevation and there are lots of Grizzlies to be found, but that time of the year you will likely have to hike up the mountains after them. But, there is always some that hang around the low elevation. 1 co-worker had the griz draw in there last year, hiked up from the burn got to the top of the mountain and seen 5 different grizzlies and took the one he wanted. The bad news of it was he broke his leg on the way down and had to get search and rescue to get a helicopter in after him. The hair on the hide slipped by the time that was all done.

Another drainge worth looking at is Fisher Creek. It's probably about 50 kms or so west of Chetwynd. I would say the moose are less plentiful, but the road gains a lot of elevation quick and there are a number of cutblocks up high and usually a grizzly or 2 hanging out up there. I hunted there with my dad and a friend of his 2 years ago and we pulled a moose out of there and seen 2 grizzlies.

The upper moberly FSR also could be good to check out. It takes of from the highway jsut south of Moberly Lake, which is north of Chetwynd about 20 minutes. The road goes a long ways in, but I would watch for washouts. After the rains we had a couple weeks ago, I heard there were some problems up there. Hunted moose there a couple times. A friend usually does alright in there and it's got some good bear habitat

hillclimber
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM
ANY BULL MOOSE!!!

thanks moosin. one word makes a big difference...

moosinaround
07-22-2009, 08:22 PM
thanks moosin. one word makes a big difference...
Yup, I make those mistakes posting quite often as well!