PDA

View Full Version : First shot

Big Lew
07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I am not able to target practice at my home, so I use an old select logging area which is behind a locked gate.....it is perfect with areas for long and short shots at every angle a spot and stalker will run up against. I have a large target block with a towing handle set on small bicycle wheels. On this target block I have five 3" round disks, (ice cream drumstick lids). After setting it up, I walk away about 35 to fifty yards or so, turn, range it, and take my first shot. At least 90% of these "first shots" either are bullseyes or touch the side of the disk I have chosen. After that first shot, I continue to practice, always at different ranges and angles, but even though I usually have consistant tight groups and several bullseyes, that first shot always seems to feel right when released, and is right on.
I am curious if the rest of the archers on this site experience the same phenomenon with their "first shot." It gives me great confidence when hunting as normally one only gets that "first shot" anyway.

Shooter
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Seems to me that the follow up shots fall in the category of being over thought, and analyzed where the first shots are based more on practice and reflexes.

Ddog
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
i always get "that feeling" when i draw on an animal, mainly because when i draw 99% of the
time the animal is within 30 yards. After close to 60 big game animals with the bow i found that 30 yards and closer for me is a gimme. Or at least it shoud be. I have learned when to draw and when not to draw, i have passed on countless numbers of animals that were at 40 yards that i wish i never, just because i thought they would come closer.
when drawing on targets i find that i have confidence at ranges up to 50 and 60 yards but never shoot that in the field while hunting.
i love shooting targets at no particular ranges, i never use a range finder, i have my set distances that i check but when i do my walk arounds i never check distances, just shoot and smile when i am within a few inches, and then try harder at remembering what certain distances look like up hill , downhill and on level ground. i shoot on one knee, both knees, angled around trees, leaning as far as i can out one way, holding the bow tilted.
you name it i shoot it.
and yes i am also good on the first shot. ;)

huntwriter
07-21-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree with what shooter said. At least that is what I think happened when I started out in bowhunting. I have since started the one arrow practice. Meaning I take one shot and then remove the arrow from the target before I shoot the second arrow. I do that in an effort not to concentrate on the spot where the previous arrow is sticking in the target and it seemed it helped me. Since I adopted that practice method over 15 yearsd ago all my arrows hit in the target or close enough to it that they are compfortably within the kill zone.

Big Lew
07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I guess I should elaborate on my first comments. I am quite satisfied with my shooting in general, I have no problem staying in the "kill" zone out to 50 yards, although it's highly unlikly I would shoot at that distance. I never shoot more than once at the same disk during a 5-shot set, and always change distance between each shot. I, to, have taken many deer with a bow over the years, mostly 35 yards or closer. Two exceptions come to mind, one at 43 yards and the other at 47 yards. Both these bucks were large four points, standing broadside, and not aware of my presence. I suppose the comment of "over-thinking the shot" while practicing has a great deal of merrit, and that the first shot is more from instinct and the result of years of shooting. At any rate, even after a period of not shooting, that first shot is usually right on, feels great, and gives me confidence.

huntwriter
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
That happened to me this week. I haven't shot my bow in almost a year. Last week I went to the archery range and it felt like I never stopped practicing. The first and all the following arrows hit the target kill zone with no problem from any angle and distance. Like you I practice many different hunting scenarios, including sitting on the ground and twisting the upper body back.

Only by shoulder muscles got a bit sore and need to be built up again.:shock: