PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Gender Identification

Spuddge
07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I finally drew an LEH this year for a grizzly. It is requested that you only harvest a male adult bear. I've done some research on the net and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on gender identification, other than what is stated in the LEH synopsis:

"Male bears generally have larger, less streamlined skulls.Adult
males are also at least a third larger, and sometimes twice
as large, as adult females. Female Grizzly Bears urinate
behind their back legs; a male Grizzly Bear urinates in
front of their back legs."

I've looked at some pictures of both males and females and it seems to me there are some pretty big sows out there! Any pointers from you seasoned grizzly hunters on gender identification would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GoatGuy
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
There's a vid of out Alaska that has grizz sex identification. It isn't the greatest but it's worth a look.

tomahawk
07-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Its a tough one cause the best way to know the difference is through yrs of experience and that obviously can't happen before your draw. Try to do as much reading, viewing pictures, video's etc as you can so that you are as confident as you can be given the challenge you'll face. Is there any griz at the Vancouver Game Farm that you can go and look at so you at least see some first hand and then can ask what they are?

TheDuckinator
07-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Id recommend googlin images and the Game Farm, just make sure your not to trigger happy and take a second n third look before you pull

rockdog
07-22-2009, 03:02 PM
ID'ing grizz is quite simple actually. I generally will stroll up to the bear, nonchalantly whistling so as not to appear threatening. Once I get broadside of the bear I will point at something nonexistent on the horizon to fix their attention, which gives me a quick second to reach underneath and feel around for tackle. If I hit berries I'll back out of the area to a reasonable distance and harvest the bear . Besides having most of the epidermis on my upper torso and head raked off i've found this to be a fairly reliable method.

mcrae
07-22-2009, 03:06 PM
ID'ing grizz is quite simple actually. I generally will stroll up to the bear, nonchalantly whistling so as not to appear threatening. Once I get broadside of the bear I will point at something nonexistent on the horizon to fix their attention, which gives me a quick second to reach underneath and feel around for tackle. If I hit berries I'll back out of the area to a reasonable distance and harvest the bear . Besides having most of the epidermis on my upper torso and head raked off i've found this to be a fairly reliable method.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: this is how I explained it to a couple newbies this spring. I can keep a straight face with the best of them it was pretty funny...

bowhunterbruce
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
kamloops game farm has a couple big males there if ya feel like going for a day trip,its only a few hrs drive from the big smoke of van