PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo Region Wildlife Advisory Committee

Marc
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Cariboo Region Wildlife Advisory Committee
December 15, 2005

Agenda Items

1) Mule (Black-tail) Deer Youth Age restricted hunts – open only to hunters who are under the age of 19 accompanied and closely supervised while hunting by a person who is 19 years of age or older and holds a valid hunting licence.
a) Region 5-02 - October 1 to Nov 30 Antlerless only – Range of authorizations 1 – 200
b) Region 5-13 - October 1 to Nov 30 Antlerless only – Range of authorizations 1 – 200
c) Region 5-14 - October 1 to Nov 30 Antlerless only – Range of authorizations 1 – 200

Objective: The number of young hunters has declined substantially over the last 20 years. This new LEH hunt will encourage and support youth participation in the sport.

RESPONSE: A- We suggest moving the Junior LEH season from Sept 10 to Oct 31 when the does are not as stressed through hunter pressure.B- Consider implementing a Senior’s LEH Season as well for the same date: Sept 10 to Oct 31.

2) Mule (Black-tail) Deer Regional bag limit – two, only one of which may be a buck if you have an antler-less LEH authorization.

Objective: Require hunters with LEH doe authorizations to harvest one buck
and one doe rather than 2 bucks

RESPONSE:A- The fact that a Doe LEH must be filled first must be declared in the LEH synopsis so that hunters may decide if they now wish to apply.B- We fear that the intent of this regulation change will be self-defeating as many hunters may now not apply for Mule Deer LEH if they are forced to take the doe before they can harvest a buck.C- We sense that this is giving in to the CCGOA who want to limit the two buck bag limit and this is a way of appeasing them.D- For all the above reasons, we do not support the proposal as written and recommend instead steps A, .

3) Mule (Black-tail) Deer LEH antler-less zoning for 5-13 and 5-14. The MU 5-13 antlerless hunting area will be split into two zones A and B. The MU 5-14 antlerless hunting area will be split in zones A and B.

Objective: To ensure that the LEH doe harvest is directed to areas within the MU’s that
have problem deer concentration and to lower the risk of over-harvest in lower deer
density areas.

RESPONSE: A- We support this proposalRECOMMENDATION:· Further sub-divide area A into two, creating area C (see diagram)

4) Implement a Limited Entry Season for Northern Ecotype Caribou in Management Unit 5-12

5-12 - September 1 to October 15 – 15 Bulls only Range of authorizations 1 - 500

Objective: Conservation and management of a threatened species. Approved by the
Hunter Advisory Committee in December 2004 for implementation in 2006

RESPONSE:A- Originally we were told that it was because of SARA that Caribou would be going to LEH. SARA does not mandate that Caribou be placed under LEH in order to adequate or properly manage the herd.B- We already have horn restrictions – 5 point bulls. We asked that the horn restriction be eased if this is to happen.C- We already have significant access restrictions into the area. We did ask that these restrictions be eased. D- The Omineca Region is moving towards removing the Caribou from LEHE- We feel that the reasons for placing Itcha-Ilgachuz heard on LEH are not justified as we were first lead to believe and therefore no longer support the proposal.

5) LEH Bull Moose season change for 5-10. the late season (Nov 1 – Nov 15) LEH Bull
Moose hunting in 5-10 (Tweedsmuir Park) will be closed and the existing authorization
moved to the three earlier seasons.

Objective: Access to MU 5-10 in early November is extremely difficult. The
existing authorizations and target annual allowable harvest will be moved to
earlier seasons. There is no change in allowable harvest and there are no guide
outfitters affected.

RESPONSE: A- We support this proposal

6) Motor Vehicle Restriction for the purpose of hunting. Road restrictions that apply only to non-native hunters (no physical barrier) affecting species where harvest is managed through limited entry hunting may no longer be effective. The number of limited entry authorizations for residents, however, may have to be reduced if species harvest success rate increases. Conservation Officers have indicated they support the remove of these road restrictions.

Objective: consider removing road restrictions that are selectively applied to
hunters already limited through limited entry hunting on the following roads:

Moffat Lake-Spokin
Wilcox-Westman
Michelle-Baezaeko
Spanish – No Name Lake
Crooked Lake FSR

RESPONSE:A- We support this proposalRECOMMENDATIONS:Consider adding the following closure to the list of closure that should be reversed· P Road· Chezakut Road· 2800 road off Gaspard-West Churn· 3200 Road

7) No Shooting from the Fraser River, Sheet Creek Bridge to Lone Cabin Creek. The Canoe Creek First Nation’s Band and area Ranchers are concerned about the number of mule deer shot and wounded from boats on the Fraser River. Boats on the river are rarely stationary even with the motor shut off or lifted (required by law). This increases the risk of deer being wounded and lost. This is not a conservation concern at the present time, but a fair chase and improved recovery of deer shot and killed along the River.

Objective: reduce the number of deer wounded and lost from moving boats on
the Fraser River.

RESPONSE:A- We would like to know if this is a subjective thing or does anyone know how many deer are reportedly injured while shooting from a boat.B- How does such a restriction get enforced?C- Why this stretch of the Fraser River? What of north of the Sheep Creek Bridge?D- We feel that is but a knee jerk reaction to some complaints made by individuals. Of interest this area borders Bart Lancaster’s guiding area.

BCWF REGION 5/AGENDA.DEC 15

Deerwhacker
12-08-2005, 12:24 PM
I sure like the part about the youth season .
hopefully i will get to get in on that because im 18 untill december of next season:)

BCKID
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Marc; Is there a web-site you got this information from? I tried Google but all I found was eastern stuff. I would like to have a look at what else they are talking about. Thanks BCKID

Marc
12-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I recieived the info by email by the BCWF member for that region.Marc.

BCKID
12-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks I found it.

http://www.cariboo-chilcotin.com/wlsalog/

oldtimer
12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Marc--- do i read #6 correctly that some roads would be closed to me but not to natives ????
# 2 is clearly for the guide outfitters and you can bet it will spread if allowed. Mike

PGKris
12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
I sure like the part about the youth season .
hopefully i will get to get in on that because im 18 untill december of next season:)

Hey if you like that reg change you can thank me and the rest of the BCWF junior committee that put that resolution through at last year's convention!! We did that for guys like you!! Every region is going to have an antlerless elk/deer/moose youth season for next year. Good hunting!

J_T
12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Every region is going to have an antlerless elk/deer/moose youth season for next year. Good hunting!

Or an antlerless elk/deer/moose youth "opportunity" within the GOS. There is a difference.:neutral:

JT

PGKris
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
The GOS? Guide Outfitter Service? What is the GOS? And I think I know what I'm talking about. I was there.....may differ from region to region (I'm not up to date) but no, there will be an open season youth hunt in every region for antlerless animals.
In reg 7A there will be an open season similar to the one described in region 5 for antlerless mulies in MU's 7-2 to 7-16, 7-24 to 7-26 (I believe) As well as a possible adult LEH for the same. Prove me wrong?? My info may be out of date? I dont think so but you never know
KRIS

J_T
12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Kris, my question was: within the General Open Season. I wasn't sure if you meant that the new opportunities proposed in the various regions was within existing General open seasons, or tacked on to the beginning or end of them.

And I wasn't trying to be offensive. I merely asked a question.:-) Your response suggests you read my post as other than a mere question.

JT

Schmaus
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Are they gonna open 7-16 up for deer and elk? Where did you here that? Just wondering I hunt there all the time seeing more and more deer and elk but as of now they have never been open.

Schmaus

PGKris
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
OK sorry for jumping down your throat! As far as I know at this time.....the season will be similar to that described in the detailed Reg. 5 post above. Some time around Sept 10th - Oct 15th (I think) for youth only antlerless mule deer. Mulie and whitetail open seasons in 7-16 are almost a guarantee. Why one side of the highway and not the other? Not sure about the elk but it's a possibility. I'm going to try to find out more once my exams are done. Taker easy
KRIS

Schmaus
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Why one side of the highway and not the other?

It's been like that ever since I can remember. You have never been allowed to shoot anything but moose and bears in 7-16 and 7-23 but on the other side of the highway its open for elk and deer aswell. I was just curious if this is just a hunch for you or if you had heard something through the grapevine. I think it would be cool to have it opened up.

Schmaus

PGKris
12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
7-24 is open for deer on the left of hwy 97 going north but not in 7-16 on the right. Maybe elk in 7-16? Haven't heard anything about elk but I'm pretty sure they're opening deer there. I talked to the guys that are pushing for these openings from the BCWF and I guess they have pretty much convince Douggy Herd to open up more deer and anlerless mulie seasons. We shall see won't we?