PDA

View Full Version : How often do you check your trail cam?

5/10/85
07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Just wondering how often ppl check and/or move their trail cam. Have any of you found any evidence of these visits moving deer to other locations?

NoLimit99
07-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Well the urge to check them generally is to strong after a week so me and the wife check them after a week to make sure it's in a good spot or else it's pointless to have them on for 3 weeks and waste my money on batteries. If nothing is spotted then we move them until we find a good spot and then we leave them there for the full 3 weeks.

But that's just us.

gbear
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I typically go check after a week also. The max is 2 weeks for me. I keep mine up until the end of the season, so if I am there hunting anyways, I woulds sometimes swap out the card even after a couple days.

hunter1947
07-21-2009, 05:45 AM
I check the two of mine every 7 days.

gary murray
07-21-2009, 08:11 AM
When i first got mine i used to check it every day out of excitement which put a big hole in my pocket in terms of gas money. Now that the novelty has worn off, i leave it for a week at a time and i'm pretty nervous right now because i put it up on Sunday which is the first time in a long time since someone tried to rip it off the tree a couple of months back or so. I tacked a note to it this time that said "Smile A$$%&^e, You're on camera this time".

Ddog
07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
since i live so close to prime hunting areas, it all depends on where mine is hanging, i like to check once a week. but some of them are within 15 minutes of me so those i check every couple of days.

Bearen 09
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I run several cameras, and generally check them every week or on day seven. Sometimes it is hard to hold myself back especially when i have a hog of a animal there. I have a couple of my cameras on video mode, and you see some really good stuff. I find that when you leave an area you were just at the deer come ,and scent check everywere you were. So i recommend not going in there to often. One big thing is make sure you lock your camera down, and try to point it away from sunsets or sunrises. Helps with picture quailty.Were i hang my cameras there is a lot of theft so i tend to point them in directions away from were people can not see them. Hope this helps you out.:-D

gary murray
07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I run several cameras, and generally check them every week or on day seven. Sometimes it is hard to hold myself back especially when i have a hog of a animal there. I have a couple of my cameras on video mode, and you see some really good stuff. I find that when you leave an area you were just at the deer come ,and scent check everywere you were. So i recommend not going in there to often. One big thing is make sure you lock your camera down, and try to point it away from sunsets or sunrises. Helps with picture quailty.Were i hang my cameras there is a lot of theft so i tend to point them in directions away from were people can not see them. Hope this helps you out.:-D
Sunrises and sunsets! Yep. I found out the hard way on that one. Had like 30 something pics and all it was were the shadows and sun.

dino
07-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I check mine every three to four weeks. I do believe that a scent is left behind, Plus im about a 4 hour drive then a couple of hours hike to get to them.

Bearen 09
07-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I check mine every three to four weeks. I do believe that a scent is left behind, Plus im about a 4 hour drive then a couple of hours hike to get to them.
That is impressive. I can not beleive you drive that far, then hike. Good for you i am impressed. Going that far and deep in you must get some pretty unreal pics.:cool:

fourbyfour
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
i have a few out all year because hunting never stops! A i`v been luckly haveing pics of BT and a nice blackie before i shot them (both P&Y) lots of nice pic over the years. It`s gust nice to be in the woods.