PDA

View Full Version : Skeena River Camping

hunterofthedeer
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM
My family is thinking of taking a trip to the Skeena River and we want to camp on the river and do some fishing. Does anyone know any free recreational campsites on the river? Any help would be appricieated and thanks in advance.

plumbob
07-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't know of any free spots but there are alot of spots out towards rupert that you can camp on the river.Are you tenting it or RV?

hunterofthedeer
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't know of any free spots but there are alot of spots out towards rupert that you can camp on the river.Are you tenting it or RV?
we have a camper on the truck

Bigbuckadams
07-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Stop in Terrace, Misty River Tackle shop. They may be able to help you out. Not sure of the spelling, think it's called "Chanabar", big bar about 2 hours outside of Terrace. I've never been, but apparently if the river is low enough, you can drive out onto the bar and camp right there. A few buddies & I are going to be up in Terrace for tomorrow night, I'm leaving in an hour or so, stop for a poker night in PG......:lol::lol: TYEE !!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:

barry1974w
07-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah if your truck is 4X4 you should be able to make it out onto china bar (I'm not sure how it's spelled either), there's a side chanell about fifty feet wide that you have to cross, but it's got a good gravel bottom, after that it's smooth sailing. If I remember correctly it's about an hour outside of Terrace. Just keep an eye on the river level, it has to get pretty high before you get stranded, but it has been know to happen. You are close enough to the ocean there that the river comes up a few inches with every high tide, that's nothing to worry about, just if there's major run off up stream.

Bowtime
07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes I would also sudgest Chanabar. or is it Chinabar? Not sure of the spelling either. It is busy down there this time of year, but fishing is great, I just tagged a 49 pounder sunday. and sockeye running also. Enjoy your trip.

07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
China bar is about 45 min out of Terrace. Water level might be an issue this year. If the river comes up you can get trapped on the bar. Not too many spots to park an RV after that. You have the Railroad on one side and cliffs on the other until you get close to Rupert. Don't park next to the tracks! Your best bet might be the campground in Terrace, it's by the river and it's a good spot to bottom bounce or spay fish.

shantz
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
You could try the Exstew River camp site. It is on the Exstew river which is a tributary of the Skeena and the campsite is only like 1 km down river the the skeena. I don't think you would want to camp on the China Bar right now. I can find out for sure if you want.

Bowtime
07-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Water levels are dropping fast so it shouldn't be a problem.