PDA

View Full Version : peace area wolves...

3kills
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
well my dad and my uncle drew tags for elk in the peace area i was wonderin what the area is like for wolves is it worth a shot taggin along and hopin to get one or two??

elkdom
07-20-2009, 12:38 PM
absolutely! good opportunities for wolves and yoties! not to mention viewing lots of other big game species!
plus the"more the merrier" when dressing/packing out an elk at minus -45 Celsius,,,

d6dan
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Tons of wolves up in the Peace. Right time and right place is all it takes unless your baiting?.

mark
07-20-2009, 02:36 PM
well my dad and my uncle drew tags for elk in the peace area i was wonderin what the area is like for wolves is it worth a shot taggin along and hopin to get one or two??

Ive spent 1-2 weeks per year, elk hunting there, for 18 straight. Ive seen 1 wolf, so good luck!

ianwuzhere
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
definatly lots of yotes, ive only seen wolves at far distances...

sako_300
07-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Every once in a while you catch them in the open - not very often and mostly in the winter. Although, I just about hit one coming around the corner at Gwilliam Lake a couple of months ago.

elkdom
07-20-2009, 04:51 PM
during the Sept,Oct GOS elk season, every year I get wolves coming in to "elk cow talk", but the every year I get Grizzlies and 6X bull elk coming in to elk cow talk also,,,

dead of winter is best for wolves, moose,elk and deer are herded up, the wolves follow the prey, but then maybe I'm just lucky,,, the wolves on the other hand, quite often ,not so lucky!

I always "forfeit my days' elk hunt to kill a wolf",,,

and something I just wanted to add, when I go Grizzly hunting?? something I always take along and use is my cow/calf elk talk calls,,, :cool: it works well,,

d6dan
07-20-2009, 05:13 PM
during the Sept,Oct GOS elk season, every year I get wolves coming in to "elk cow talk", but the every year I get Grizzlies and 6X bull elk coming in to elk cow talk also,,,

dead of winter is best for wolves, moose,elk and deer are herded up, the wolves follow the prey, but then maybe I'm just lucky,,, the wolves on the other hand, quite often ,not so lucky!

I always "forfeit my days' elk hunt to kill a wolf",,,

x2 on that one elkdom. see them when you least expect them...

lunatic
07-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Ive spent 1-2 weeks per year, elk hunting there, for 18 straight. Ive seen 1 wolf, so good luck!

Wow, really? Find that quite strange. Always see lots in this area.

proguide66
07-20-2009, 09:39 PM
One thing to think about #'s of sightings is you have to be looking for them to see em...usually. Example , when I am guideing elk , i see lots of elk , not too much else...in the same area I will be guideing grizz , see lots of grizz and blackbears and not really notice much else ( except of course when shit is right in your field of view)..so sayin that , if your up there and YOUR eyes are seeking wolf shaped objects all day , you will probably see more than a guy who goes up there looking for elk only.
good luck !!!
Hope you nail a bunch

whitetailsheds
07-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Every day of a 7 day moose hunt last year, we had wolves howling where we were (Tumbler area). Some responded to our howling back. And some came to our moose calling. Even with all the wolf activity, the moose were still in the area. Couldn't believe it as thought the moose would have vacated with all the puppies around.

elkdom
07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow, really? Find that quite strange. Always see lots in this area.

Bear Hole lake area last fall, 9 timber wolf sightings in 2 days of moose hunting,,,

lots of moose, some elk,,, lots of wolves, 1 wolf on the road is was chewing on a beer can in the middle of the FS road, lol

lunatic
07-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Bear Hole lake area last fall, 9 timber wolf sightings in 2 days of moose hunting,,,

lots of moose, some elk,,, lots of wolves, 1 wolf on the road is was chewing on a beer can in the middle of the FS road, lol

sshhhhh! Now all them "tourists" from the LML will be funnelling there this fall:D. I was in there last week and saw a HUGE grizz. Took the "Y" to the left that cuts over to the boot lake/Blackhawk lake areas. Road is washed out at the West Kiskatinaw bridge. Can't see it till it's almost too late. Yikes:eek:!

elkdom
07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
sshhhhh! Now all them "tourists" from the LML will be funnelling there this fall:D. I was in there last week and saw a HUGE grizz. Took the "Y" to the left that cuts over to the boot lake/Blackhawk lake areas. Road is washed out at the West Kiskatinaw bridge. Can't see it till it's almost too late. Yikes:eek:!

nah! too far from " Timmies' " not that many people out there,

besides it's dangerous, Gbears , wolves,,,;-)

that huge a$$ Grizz Ive seen a couple times,,,

here's his foot print ,,, compare to the cap and large moose tracks,,,