PDA

View Full Version : Books on Elk or Moose Hunting

behemoth
07-20-2009, 08:47 AM
There are allot of titles out there, anyone know of any good books on Elk or Moose?

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Google that phrase in and max your cards to your hearts desire.

behemoth
07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
Thats the problem, I've already googled it and there are tons of books out there. I was looking for a recomendation from someone who liked a particular book, etc..

MB_Boy
07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey behemoth......if you want a book that covers EVERYTHING on moose including hunting; have a look at this one. There are reviews of the book further down the page.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1560987758/mooseworldcom

There is also a similar one on elk......

I have the book and it covers all sorts of topics......I 'may be' a bit biased as my Dad wrote a few of the chapters including the hunting one....and....there is a pic of 'your truly' in the book as well. ;)

In all honesty though it is very comprehensive as is the elk one.

elkdom
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
2 excellent ELK books,written by long time elk guides and REAL hunters with 50+ years of proven techniques are the 2 following,,,

ELK and ELK HUNTING by Hartt Wixom,,, 286 pages,

also ,,,

The ELK HUNTER by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel and Gordon Eastman,,, 225 pages,

2 elk hunting books with WORLDS of information, and not one commercial of items to sell or gimmicks to send away for, just ELK Hunting facts and techniques,, not one page of bullshit,,,:cool:

you read these over a few times, pay attention and you will KNOW elk!

DDD
07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Dr. Valerius Geist has numerous excellent publications. Check abebooks.com

d6dan
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
There are allot of titles out there, anyone know of any good books on Elk or Moose?

Jim Zumbo has some good reading books as do Rob Hazelwood. Lots of good stuff for the beginner..Good luck, Cheers.

Kody94
07-20-2009, 02:41 PM
"Radical elk hunting strategies" by Mike Lapinski. All you'll ever need to know to kill a pile of elk.

bighornbob
07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
"Radical elk hunting strategies" by Mike Lapinski. All you'll ever need to know to kill a pile of elk.

X2.
He also has two other books. I have read one and it is as good as the one mentioned.

BHB

Kody94
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey behemoth......if you want a book that covers EVERYTHING on moose including hunting; have a look at this one. There are reviews of the book further down the page.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1560987758/mooseworldcom

There is also a similar one on elk......

I have the book and it covers all sorts of topics......I 'may be' a bit biased as my Dad wrote a few of the chapters including the hunting one....and....there is a pic of 'your truly' in the book as well. ;)

In all honesty though it is very comprehensive as is the elk one.

By your screen-name I am going to assume that yer Pa is Dr. Moose, aka the "The Man who would be Moose".

http://www.swf.sk.ca/events/images/moose_man.jpg

Neat dude. We consult with him on logging in MB...I have not met him yet, but our biologist has a lot of respect for his work.

ps: the book is excellent. I have a copy of it at the office, along with both editions of the similar Elk Management book. Great stuff.

Cheers
4Ster

MB_Boy
07-20-2009, 02:58 PM
By your screen-name I am going to assume that yer Pa is Dr. Moose, aka the "The Man who would be Moose".

http://www.swf.sk.ca/events/images/moose_man.jpg

Neat dude. We consult with him on logging in MB...I have not met him yet, but our biologist has a lot of respect for his work.

ps: the book is excellent. I have a copy of it at the office, along with both editions of the similar Elk Management book. Great stuff.

Cheers
4Ster

Ayup.....that would be my Dad. ;)

bighornbob
07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Ayup.....that would be my Dad. ;)

He has a funny growth on his chest:p

BHB

behemoth
07-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks MBBoy and DDD
Just ordered the Moose Ecology book and Elk Country by Geist

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Elk Hunting the West by Eastmans is good. Comes with a free dvd too.

MB_Boy
07-21-2009, 07:37 AM
He has a funny growth on his chest:p

BHB

Ya.....he's been looking at getting it removed along with his "scapula hand". :-? They were thinking a deer head transplant may be a little bit less noticeable? :wink:

hunter1947
07-21-2009, 08:25 AM
I find the best knowledge is to go out and be apart of the elk family ,spend time out there learning there everyday living ,you will learn more by doing this then any book you buy :).