PDA

View Full Version : fall leh grizzley in 7-23a

bowhunterbruce
07-20-2009, 05:36 AM
well the mrs and i got drawn for a shared moose hunt in 7-23 and from what i understand this is where she could finally get her first moose .yahoo!!!! as her luck usually goes though she also got drawn for grizzly in the same area.man she gets all the luck when it comes to draws..
now she told me not to put her in for the grizz draw but i did it anyways.(me bad)and although we have both taken a wack of black bears over the years i have very little experience with the all mighty and noble grizzley bear.
this is going to be our first time in this area and our first time going for a grizzly and im looking for any and all input from all you hbc er's that has any experience with the area

Big Blaze
07-20-2009, 08:44 AM
hopefully I see you up there, I got the same draws

lip_ripper00
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Is your moose draw in 7-23A as well?

muleyman
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Just watch your moose gut pile.

Big Blaze
07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
yep both moose and grizz in 7-23a

bowhunterbruce
07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Is your moose draw in 7-23A as well?

yes both the moose and grizzly are in 7-23a.
we are planning on being up there for the 19th of sept ,when are you going up B B

bowhunterbruce
07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
ive read on another thread about there being alot of grizzlys up that way and they are trained to come running at the sound of a gun shot,a dinner bell so to speak,is this the truth? god i hope so,the 300 win will be loaded.

Ironball
07-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm going to honest with you and say first time hunters to this area do quite poorly.It has old cut blocks,a limited amount of logging spurs which can be overgrown with Lots of road hunters.I have been hunting in this area{7-23} for 5 years and have never seen a grizzly but i know they are there.Best advice is talk to the people who have set up camp and have been there a while.There are families who have been hunting there for generations.Talk to them.2 years ago a guy shot a grizzly in camp {a big one.}If anybody else could clarify, a remember a road and a good road being pushed in down buy the power lines,i don't know where it comes in from?
My avtar is a 7-23 bull
Kevin

bowhunterbruce
07-20-2009, 02:06 PM
i do have a fair bit of experience with moose so we feel pretty confident about seeing a few of them as we are going up for the rut.nice avatar,is your moose from the hills or the valley

Big Blaze
07-21-2009, 08:33 AM
last year was in that area, not 7-23a but just across the parsnip river, i believe 7-24(not sure) and we did fairly well came out with a big bull and a cow, was a good hunt, really enjoyed the area

bowhunterbruce
07-21-2009, 09:16 AM
i'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to what its like around the backside of 7-23a up the messilinka river valley,accessabilty ,cut blocks ,vegatation etc.

Frango
07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
There was an on going grizz study being done in the Parsnip area.If you go online you should be able to get a pretty good count on the bears. If the study is still going.We had a shared hunt in the same area 3 years ago .There was a grizz on our gut pile a couple of hours after we left.Good luck.

lip_ripper00
07-21-2009, 11:31 AM
First thing your need to know is if the bridge at Reynolds creek is still their, hopefully someone will post up

Ironball
07-21-2009, 12:32 PM
First thing your need to know is if the bridge at Reynolds creek is still their, hopefully someone will post up

I personally did not drive down that far last year but i know it was passable by small vehicle or atv.In my last post i mention the newer road that was punched in down by the power lines,does anybody know where it comes from?Curious on behalf and helpfull to bowhunter for access.More info on this area should be available in August,Sept when the early season starts.

lip_ripper00
07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I personally did not drive down that far last year but i know it was passable by small vehicle or atv.In my last post i mention the newer road that was punched in down by the power lines,does anybody know where it comes from?Curious on behalf and helpfull to bowhunter for access.More info on this area should be available in August,Sept when the early season starts.

I belive that new road comes in from Kennedy siding

mike
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
never been into the area but we got a group cow draw in 7-23 b, didn't realize how busy the area could be when we put the draw in though. Could anyone tell me if the anzac river is big enough for a jet boat, or would 16ft alum with a 25hp outboard jet be better. I assume either would be okay in the parsnip in this stretch.

thanks

lip_ripper00
07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
never been into the area but we got a group cow draw in 7-23 b, didn't realize how busy the area could be when we put the draw in though. Could anyone tell me if the anzac river is big enough for a jet boat, or would 16ft alum with a 25hp outboard jet be better. I assume either would be okay in the parsnip in this stretch.

thanks

Will depend on how the summer goes and fall rains, usally the bottom end of the Anzac has lots of water, but can get shallow past the S turn. In a low water year I have had problems floating the Parsnip with a 14 ft boat with a moose in it.

jml11
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
i'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to what its like around the backside of 7-23a up the messilinka river valley,accessabilty ,cut blocks ,vegatation etc.

Very poor access, washed out roads and overgrown cutblocks. A friend of mine had that draw last year spent about 4-5 consecutive weekends out there and only saw one cow moose closer to the eastern edge of the zone (near Anzac River I believe). I was suprised by his poor results as there are a lot moose up there. But as already stated, the Parsnip zones can be hard to hunt due to the poor road maintenance and lack of recent logging (overgrown blocks). Consider floating the Parsnip river, it's pretty tame along that stretch.

The road in from the south has been washed out for a couple years, some people have made detours but from what my friend said, it was not very good of safe. The other way in is from Kennedy Siding Road, a few kilometers north of Mckenzie Junction.

If you can access the power lines on the eastside of the messilinka you may be able to get into some more open areas for spotting moose. But you may need a quad. A big tip for you...bring and ELK tag! There are elk in there in september and you might kick yourself if you run into a 6 point bull and have no tag!

jml11
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
[/size]

Will depend on how the summer goes and fall rains, usally the bottom end of the Anzac has lots of water, but can get shallow past the S turn. In a low water year I have had problems floating the Parsnip with a 14 ft boat with a moose in it.

I wouldn't be concerned about low water this year, there is snow in the hills still! The parsnip is a popular flaot for moose hunters, I imagine you would be fine around Zone b. I've never heard of anyone boating up the anzac, it can be pretty skinny water at times with lots of hazards.

reach
07-23-2009, 01:32 AM
Not sure what area you guys are talking about. The Mesilinka River is nowhere near 7-23a; it's in 7-38 on the west side of Williston Lake.

Are you talking about the Misinchinka?

moosinaround
07-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Not sure what area you guys are talking about. The Mesilinka River is nowhere near 7-23a; it's in 7-38 on the west side of Williston Lake.

Are you talking about the Misinchinka?
Why yes they are! Thank you for pointing that out!

bowhunterbruce
07-23-2009, 06:49 AM
thanks reach this was my mistake although the majority of the guys new where i was refering too.its accually the misinchinka river vally that is on the back side of region 7-23a that i was wondering about with roads,cut blocks etc.
bruce