PDA

View Full Version : How to train a dog to fetch

Marc
07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
This is an inspiring training video for all of you retriever owners. This what your dog can be like at 6 years of age with the same technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_en8b0b2T0&feature=channel

plumbob
07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
I think I want a little more of mine,as my male did all of that plus more at 6months.You have to love that hand off at the end sure just let him drop it and thats great(not).Marc time for you to start making videos.

mark
07-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I think I want a little more of mine,as my male did all of that plus more at 6months.You have to love that hand off at the end sure just let him drop it and thats great(not).Marc time for you to start making videos.

Glad you said that, my pup can almost do that at 4.5 months, 6 years??? :confused:

Marc
07-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I had just been going through a few videos and found this one. At first I thought it was someone else's dog he was talking about until he mentioned that he hunted ducks with it. He couldn't get it to sit still for a minute as he went over what he was trying to demonstrate. How much fun would that be in a duck blind. At 6 years of age that dog should be steady as a rock.

One of the biggest mistakes is repeating a command. When you say sit 3 or 4 times the dog learns that he doesn't have to do it on the first two he'll do it on the 3rd or 4th. The second throw the dummy hadn't hit the water and he sent the dog, my guess is he wanted to throw the command in before the dog broke and went after it anyways.:mrgreen:

I'm no expert by any means and still learning as time goes on. Just thought that this would get a chuckle from some.

Jimbo
07-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Don't let Bopper see this one.

bopper
07-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Wow, Bopper did see this one! When I saw it, I knew Marc must be playing a joke on us........there were at least 10 examples of poor training and handling in that video......can you get that guy to come to the seminar this week-end?? :lol:

Spirit's Master
07-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Spirit will be six months next week and can do it better. His face is too small for the duck dummy but he loves his Mourning Dove with a grouse wing taped to it.

Marc, that video of your Marshall is what I want from my dog in the future. I'm glad there is a wealth of knowledge here that can show us how to really do it.

Thanks for the laugh
cwf

Marc
07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
It still makes me chuckle when I watch that clip. " oow waters chilli" and then he proceeds to say what the dog is doing like he's a TV announcer during a hockey game. Ok he drops the duck and shakes, it's a big duck and here here here... good dog and he shakes again.:biggrin:

All joking aside, everyone has different goals of what they would like their dogs to be able to accomplish. Marshall is a hunting dog foremost and on the off season we hone his skills and make it challenging and try to teach him new skills to put some titles on him. With Chessies you have to tire out their minds as well as their bodies or they get bored and start getting into mischief.

To me this is a win win situation. During the fall he gets tones of exposure of handling real birds and gets to enjoy what he's been trained to do. During the summer we train and hone his skills while keeping him in tune with his environment and keeping him fit in the process. I'm sure my health is benefiting from it as well.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-25-2009, 12:06 PM
lmao ... You are right with Chessies ... Guy I work with has a 12 year old Chessie .... in the last 2.5 years ... he has been getting bored when Buddy comes to work .... First it was the house ...chewed threw walls etc... then it was the outside dog run ... chain link and wood etc .... then it was the interior of his truck (trashed...) then it was new dog run that reminded me of fort Knox .... then it was his bed in the back of new truck ...then box liner and window of canopy ... Interior of new truck (only seat belts this time) the latest is newest Dog run walls ....

the thing is he is fine when someone is around ... its when buddy goes to work (the truck stuff he took dog to work in hopes that seeing his owner every hour or so he wouldnt go crazy) ... he is now 12 ... still got his boys (maybe he just needs to get some) ... What is common life expectancy out of a Chessie ... Old age some sort of Doggy Diamentia is what I am thinking

I personally have a Golden that is 100% pure pet to my Daughters ... But I may be adopting another Golden that is just about 2 and evidently totally untrained ... I will turn him into a hunting dog I suspect if I end up adopting him

Marc
07-25-2009, 01:03 PM
My lab lived to be over 12 and I heard somewhere that chessies can live to be 16.

Chessies need to be exercised body and mind every day. I can always tell when my chessie isn't getting enough attention or exercise because he starts digging up my back yard. My advice to your friend is to exercise him more when he's home with him. Marshall has the run of the full back yard while I"m at work and he still gets bored if we don't spend some time together playing fetch or going for a walk.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-25-2009, 01:13 PM
the thing is... he does ... constantly at the river , fetch etc...... the reason for the enclosure is the yard is 5 acres of 3 wire fencing

ever hear of separation anxiety in a dog that old?

Marc
07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Has things changed in the last two years? Did your buddy get a new job? Get separated? Sounds like there is something missing that used to be there two years ago. Change in diet? Who knows.