PDA

View Full Version : Kechika/Turnigan for sheep ??

rafike
07-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Anyone river boat hunted up there or even hunted the area??
Pete

tomahawk
07-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Been up the Kechika for Elk and then back to the Turnagain for sheep via river boat. There are moose, elk in abundance and sheep around, took one stone in 5 trips, here's a birds eye view of the Turnagain! If there is anything I can help with just ask.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/TurnagainBeautiful-1.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/TurnagainRiver-1.jpg

riflebuilder
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
that is beautiful country

tomahawk
07-19-2009, 02:39 PM
that is beautiful country

To me it is "heaven" on earth! It is spectacular and very remote. The top picture if you look closely you can see how the Turn Again River got its name!!

silvertipp
07-19-2009, 05:19 PM
To me it is "heaven" on earth! It is spectacular and very remote. The top picture if you look closely you can see how the Turn Again River got its name!!
can you acualy get a boat up that river look to nice

tomahawk
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
can you acualy get a boat up that river look to nice

Yep, a river boat makes it all the way if you know where to run when the river doesn't show any obvious shallow or deep channels. And there is the fun when you run back down river with the current as then you can't pull back on the throttle and let the river hold you while you make a decision where to go, its balls to the wall and all eyes on deck and pray for the best. Usually on shallow water from a dry summer you'll touch the banks of the river at some of the turns that you see and get out the hammer and pop out the dents when the trips over.

BlacktailStalker
07-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Amazing looking country.

tomahawk
07-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Amazing looking country.

I feel blessed to have been there. Pictures never do just to it either.

It is a special moment in life, that few people will ever experience, to be sitting on the top of a mtn looking out over a vast landscape like the Turnagain River valley and there is nothing but you, animals, a brisk breeze and your thoughts.

David Heitsman
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
You could get flown into Mayfield Lakes with Urs and then float down the Gataga and on out the Kechika. You're surrounded by sheep mountains much of the way.

TheDuckinator
07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow I would love to hunt in country like that! Absolutely amazing!

geoskier
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Back in 2004, my dad and I flew a canoe into Turnagain Lakes from Dease. We canoed all the way to Skooks landing. Saw 23 moose the first day. Did several day hikes into the alpine from the river and saw plenty of sheep sign but no critters. Lots of Griz tracks on the river banks. Greyling or trout/char on every cast. Saw two absolutely massive great horned owls sitting on the shore one evening while finishing the day. Turnagain falls was one hell of a portage. It took us 3 days and we are both very fit. Awful bushwacking. Canoeing from then on was faster after the falls and we made it to Skooks landing in 2 days from there. Saw a rotting moose carcase on a gravel bar that was covered with ravens - looked like a scene out of the Serengeti. Lots of elk on the gravel bars on the way down. ~ this was not a hunting trip but I now have 270 reasons to get back ASAP! Beautiful country!

Silver Fox Lady
04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
How many km do you travel up from skooks? Was just wondering how much fuel a guy would bring. Better hunting on the kechica or turnagain for moose and elk?

trebreklaw
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I think I was about 140 Kms but was still a ways from the falls. Took all the fuel could carry. To hunt you need to get some extra fuel brought up.

sako_300
04-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Yep, a river boat makes it all the way if you know where to run when the river doesn't show any obvious shallow or deep channels. And there is the fun when you run back down river with the current as then you can't pull back on the throttle and let the river hold you while you make a decision where to go, its balls to the wall and all eyes on deck and pray for the best. Usually on shallow water from a dry summer you'll touch the banks of the river at some of the turns that you see and get out the hammer and pop out the dents when the trips over.

Are you being serious here or just trying to scare off would be hunters in this area?

Take everything with a grain of salt.

BromBones
04-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Back in 2004, my dad and I flew a canoe into Turnagain Lakes from Dease. We canoed all the way to Skooks landing. Saw 23 moose the first day. Did several day hikes into the alpine from the river and saw plenty of sheep sign but no critters. Lots of Griz tracks on the river banks. Greyling or trout/char on every cast. Saw two absolutely massive great horned owls sitting on the shore one evening while finishing the day. Turnagain falls was one hell of a portage. It took us 3 days and we are both very fit. Awful bushwacking. Canoeing from then on was faster after the falls and we made it to Skooks landing in 2 days from there. Saw a rotting moose carcase on a gravel bar that was covered with ravens - looked like a scene out of the Serengeti. Lots of elk on the gravel bars on the way down. ~ this was not a hunting trip but I now have 270 reasons to get back ASAP! Beautiful country!

Sounds like a heck of a trip. Have had a similar one planned for a couple years, just haven't committed to getting it done quite yet.

pescado
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Last time I was at Skooks landing you could hardly find a place to put your truck and trailer. Lots of country up there but I was surprised when I showed up at Skooks launch.

harbinger
04-10-2012, 02:09 PM

That is how I remeber it, we were up there in the late nineties.

2SHALLOW
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Yep Turnagain river late fall is very shallow, and the rocks in it are not nice and round they are sharp black jagged SOB'S!!! Lots of hunters on there, seen over 10 boats on there last year, the landing had over 60 trucks and trailers. Its a long ways to go with a small success rate for elk and as for sheep lol good luck there are more sheep hunters up there now then there are sheep!! But its a beautiful camping trip!! Good luck! oh and stash your gas well trust me on this one.