PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Movies

tangozulu
12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Does anyone remember 16 mm hunt films done in the late 50's and early 60's??
I remember seeing a few films in a rented hall that were amazing. I think these were by Gordon Eastman but they depicted horse hunts in Northern BC and were in a word fantastic. Mostly hunting for sheep if I remember correctly and obviosly took years to film.
Any info out there on who made these and any chance they are still around?
Also Tommy Tompkins shot some great footage of big game in northern BC.
Or how about "Tides and Trails", probably the original Sportsmans show.
I am especially interested when Ted Peck was still in Alberta as his show seemed to be mostly fishing once he was in BC. (I admit his whiteshark fishing in Aust was as exiting as any hunt)
Any info or memories????
Thanks in Advance

sealevel
12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
The best outdoor movie i have seen was gord eastman film called high wild and free. Sometimes wholesale outdoors have them but not rite now i have been searching the net but can`t find them.

Schmaus
12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Sorry I have not heard of any of the movies that you described. But I do like the movies out by bart lancaster. They hunt the northwest territories and there are a lot of moose sheep goats caribou and grizzlies taken on their films. I like them because they are all the animals that I like to hunt.

Schmaus

Maxx
12-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Search ebay for "high,Wild and Free"

tangozulu
12-07-2005, 09:23 PM
The best outdoor movie i have seen was gord eastman film called high wild and free. Sometimes wholesale outdoors have them but not rite now i have been searching the net but can`t find them.

Thanks for the info. Yes that sounds like the film. I will use this new info to search and will pass on anything I can find.
Again thanks

elkmaster
01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Gordon Eastman had done many films, and two of his best are "Challenge of the North west territories, and Yukon Stone!

Check on the web for Eastman Outdoors!

Tank
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes that sounds like the film. I will use this new info to search and will pass on anything I can find.
Again thanks

I've seen High Wild and Free a while back, and I'm pretty sure that I rented it from Bon Voyoge Sports in PG. But I guess that doesn't help anyone that isn't from PG:oops:

Dano
01-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I've seen many of the Tommy Tompkins movies and they were all excellent.
Good luck,
Dano

Johnnybear
01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
If your ever over here on the island there is a video store in Nanaimo called Van. Isl. Video on Bowen Rd. that has a big selection of old hunting movies. Lots of Eastman films and others.

tangozulu
01-05-2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips. Will be able to trackdown Eastman now.

steel_ram
01-05-2006, 10:49 AM
"high,Wild and Free"

Is that the Tuchodi lakes one. That was one of the first hunting video's I ever saw.

Older than that there was a few episodes of "Red Fisher" moose hunting. I've also seen a few clips of Roderick Haig Brown flyfishing for Steelhead on some smaller VI streams. Might have to do some real research to find those.

358mag
01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Re Tuchodi Lakes sheep hunt is called A Rocky Mountain Stone Sheep Hunt
by John Lyon @ Lyon wilderness production great packpack video done in the early 80's have aold ph# 604-427-2421
Gord Eastmans High Wild + free flimed early 60's in the Frank Cooke's old area mosty Dall-Moodie -Colt lake when they still had lots of sheep it that region !!
if you can ever find some of Jim Bonds < not James Bond >old movies they were great remeber seeing them in the lates 60's in Edmoton at the old sport ex sportsman show
Hope that helps you out

:lol:
Im pro choice i choose to hunt,fish,trap, eat red meat and wear fur

steel_ram
01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I prefer some of the older movies, more of a "story of a hunt" rather than the maximum carnage of many modern video's.

moose hunter
01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
try soem by dave coleman they are awesum movies lots of whitetail and sheep hunting also they were taking alot of mooose alaska yukon moose with bows

Ozone
01-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Just found this site. Looks like lots of vidios
http://www.outdoorvisions.com/

Johnnybear
01-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the link ozone. Lot's of videos I've never seen before. Has anyone seen any of the one's of B.C. with the Langcaster's?

tangozulu
01-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link ozone and all the other leads and suggestions from everyone