PDA

View Full Version : West Toad Corridor

Slee
07-18-2009, 02:15 PM
Just looking for road conditions of the west toad corridor. Can you make it in with a p.u. truck? or do you need a quad? Is there fire wood there ro does a guy need to bring it in? pms welcome

Looking at mid-end Sept.

cheers

slee

bridger
07-19-2009, 09:27 AM
quad is required

mr.280
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep you need a quad to get across the toad bridge and you'll be able to find plenty of standing dead if you hunt around.

bigwhiteys
07-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Yep you need a quad to get across the toad bridge and you'll be able to find plenty of standing dead if you hunt around.

You're talking about a different access corridor :)

Carl

mr.280
07-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Ah yes when your climbing up the highway turning north toward muncho there is a lttle road to the left up that west toad direction.I do remember now trying to get my 4x in there in 97 but turned into a goat trail.

gbear
07-24-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm a bit curious about this one too?

I've hunted the Yedhe corridor many times with my dad over the years. And I know of the branch that takes you up past moose lake, but not this one. Probably about 8 years ago, we thought we would try to check out the west toad corridor with quads. We got on a trail and there was the MK access corridor sign, so we figured we were on the right trail. Not too far down the trail, we came to an outfitters lodge. We're like what the heck and started to turn around when the lady came out. They invited us in for coffee and snacks, told us some good hunting stories. They told us their name, but I forget, but I think the husband was from Austria originally. We asked them about the corridor and they said they didn't think it was through the way we were going. Of well. They were nice people and treated us good. Haven't tried since to find it.

But, I am heading up there this year, first time in about 5 years to take a new hunter on a goat hunt. Likely just stick to the trail I know, but if there is time, we may try to find this trail again.

bigwhiteys
07-24-2009, 07:33 AM
The M/K Access sign is wrong. You will make it as far as the outfitters lodge as you found out and then you can quad in a bit further, still a long ways from anything worthwhile. Arnold and Esa would have been the man and woman you met. Thankfully they are loooong gone.

Carl

Dad and son
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
The access road you are talking about is noted on the Muskwa Kechika plan as a 4 wd road. It begins with about a 10-15 km nice gravel road to the outfitters camp. The road then continues at the end of his runway. The outfitter in the last few years is telling everyone the road ends at his ranch, but it does not. It actually continues at the end of the runway. It is still designated 4 wd past the runway, in reality it is a horse trail with limitied quad access,. I was on it 2 years ago and in my opinion a very, very difficult quad road. I gave up on my quad after about 5 km. Dont understand your question about firewood when you are in a forest though.

bigwhiteys
07-25-2009, 08:29 AM
The outfitter in the last few years is telling everyone the road ends at his ranch, but it does not.

On the map it clearly shows the trail continues, but you're fooling yourself if you think you can drive a full-size vehicle down it.

This has been an issue for decades with that road being wrongly labeled. People used to show up every year and think they could drive through there. A few hours later they'd be walking back needing to get pulled out with the cat or tractor looking rather embarrassed.

Carl