PDA

View Full Version : Region 6-25, Zone D Sheep draw

Iron-Head
07-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Has anyone ever hunted in this area, and what your experiences where like?

I am living within an hours drive from the border of my draw zone, so I have been doing my home work, along with getting a float plane in line to access some of the areas deeper in the Teslin Plateau.

I have spoken with a local Chopper pilot who fly's quite frequently from Atlin to Teslin, and im hoping she will be able to give me an idea of where to focus.. other then that I have been having a great time breaking in the new Boots, and Back Pack. I am planning on spending 3-5 days in the Johnson range as this looks to be a promising area even though it is fairly easily accessed (14 km hike to the south side), and if my efforts prove to be fruitless I will focus on the SE end of Surprise Lake and work my way through the Mount Mc clay, to Idaho Peak area, in hopes of finding sheep before opening day..

I will report back when I have found sheep, fingers crossed...

Iron'

bighorn
07-19-2009, 08:01 AM
was up there in 1979 for 6 weeks,gold was a $1000 an ounce,me and my dad were staying at his friends who had a claim on a creak that ran into suprise lake.i think it was otter. i didn't get gold fever like my dad and his friend so i went hunting saw sheep over on the fourth of july road,missed one nice ram using the truck for a rest,found another bunch just off the road,went and got my dad and his partner,they flipped a coin the partner won,there was 2 full curls in the bunch, me and him went up there and shot them in there beds.we got them back to the road and into the truck whole,easiest sheep hunt i've had.i think it was on steamboat mtn.that was 30 yrs ago so i could be wrong on the name.

sako_300
07-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I hunted up there four years ago. Didn't do alot of research prior to going but put the boot time in. Saw lots of sheep - 3 legal rams that managed to evade us for three days before heading for the hills - just never could catch up with them. 3 bands of smaller rams - one was probably a shooter but I like to be certain.

As with anything, you put in the boot time you will see some animals, beautiful country up there so if you don't all isn't lost...

Good luck with the hunt for mr. twisty

huntergal
08-12-2009, 01:12 PM
So how did you make out Iron-Head? (Assuming you went for opening day.....) I've hunted the area south of Surprise for sheep once before, and the area north of Surprise (old Zone C) a few times. Some nice pockets of rams in that zone C, but as you know they closed it to sheep hunting last year. I haven't heard of any sheep on the Johnson Range, just caribou (but they're on LEH). I also have an LEH for Zone D, heading in early September. Let me know how you made out.