PDA

View Full Version : first ever goat hunt advice

chinooker
07-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I got drawn for taseko lake goat and have never hunted them before. any advice as for gear or whatever? and yes i have been working on my cardio ever since i filled out my application :grin:

bowhunterbruce
07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
be as prepared as you can possibly be for every worst case senario.hunting goats is an adventure not just a hunt.take plenty of water,carbs and rope and good boots.
practice both uphill and down hill shooting and know your gun inside and out and be prepared for shots longer then 250 yrds.
goats live high for a reason and thats because all predators with the exception of golden eagles come from below,for your best chance at one spot and stalk is usually the norm and always try to come at them from above.
a little trick i have used if you get aboVE them and you can't see them ,just throw a few big rocks down a chute near them,it makes them look and see what caused the rocks to fall.
goats dont usually see to many humans in thier lifetime so if your above them and by chance they see you they usually just stand there looking at you curiously for long enough to get off a shot or 2 at them.
i will pretty much promice you, that it will be after your goat is down your adventure will begin. eat, drink and think every move all the way through while your on your way back down
goodluck
bruce

brenden
07-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Trekking poles or ski poles are a must. Take lots of water. If you think your climbing into trouble you are. Take out his front shoulders/lung on the first shot and wait, don't shoot again unless you have to.

Brenden

born2hunt
07-17-2009, 11:40 PM
be as prepared as you can possibly be for every worst case senario.hunting goats is an adventure not just a hunt.take plenty of water,carbs and rope and good boots.
practice both uphill and down hill shooting and know your gun inside and out and be prepared for shots longer then 250 yrds.
goats live high for a reason and thats because all predators with the exception of golden eagles come from below,for your best chance at one spot and stalk is usually the norm and always try to come at them from above.
a little trick i have used if you get aboVE them and you can't see them ,just throw a few big rocks down a chute near them,it makes them look and see what caused the rocks to fall.
goats dont usually see to many humans in thier lifetime so if your above them and by chance they see you they usually just stand there looking at you curiously for long enough to get off a shot or 2 at them.
i will pretty much promice you, that it will be after your goat is down your adventure will begin. eat, drink and think every move all the way through while your on your way back down
goodluck
brucesound advice here REMEMBER GET ABOVE THEM IF YOU CAN.

BCBigGame
09-12-2009, 09:59 AM
What area in Taseko?