PDA

View Full Version : Wolverines everywhere

BCBear
07-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Last year you had to pay $8 for your tag and wait a couple of days...now you don't even have to buy a tag:biggrin:...The province must be crawlin withem so look out

unless it's an error.:(

6 K
07-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Actually I have come across three now I didn't have a tag for. I hope they did eleminate the tag.

bigshooter
07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I saw 10 on oct. 31st last year. Just remember that you can kill him but he will just regenerate, and kick your butt.

CabinFever
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I saw 10 on oct. 31st last year. Just remember that you can kill him but he will just regenerate, and kick your butt.
Good one. :biggrin:

Summit 512
07-17-2009, 10:51 PM
I guess I am a little slow.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-18-2009, 07:49 AM
The gov't is doing what little they can to help out the caribou. Reducing moose and opening up predators.
It may be too late but at least they're doing something.

SSS

pmj
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Where would be some places to help out the caribou and reduce these predators?
Any suggestions on how to hunt them or some reading on hunting methods?
Other than paying to have one stuffed by the taxidermist, any other uses for this death on 4 legs?
Any edible portions on a wolverine?
Do the teeth and claws make a nice necklace?
I learned all my information on these from reading Lost in the Barrens or Jack London or some other books when I was in my early teens.
"They break through your cabin door, eat your supplies and destroy what they don't eat by peeing on them."

riflebuilder
07-18-2009, 10:04 AM
If I see one it is going to be shot

bigwhiteys
07-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I've yet to see one alive in the wild... But have heard the stories about how miserable they can be.

Carl

Gateholio
07-18-2009, 10:21 AM
A few years ago we were in a cutblock on the edge of a stand of trees,a nd all hell was breaking loose. Wolves were in there snarling at something. I went into take a look, and my partner was behind me. When we got a bit closer, the cacophony took an even higher pitch,and he stopped, scared to go in.

I finally crept towards the source, hoping to get a shot at a wolf while it was preoccupied. Then I snapped a twig, all went silent and that was it.

I could still hear some scratching noise, and I went a bit further then looked up a tree to find a VERY angry, PO'd wolverine. The wolves had treed him.

He made his displeasure with me known and then did a remarkable thing. He did a BACKFLIP form one tree to another, landing on the tree facing down at me and snarling.

I pointed my rifle and was thinking "Do I need a tag? Is this area open? You never used to need a tag...Hmm.."

In the end, I erred onm the side of caution, didn't shoot. I just wish I had brought my camera into the woods, as it was still in my daypack, left back with my frightened partner.:mrgreen:

Deadshot
07-18-2009, 10:23 AM
"They break through your cabin door, eat your supplies and destroy what they don't eat by peeing on them."
I had a couple of roommates that went out with girls like that.
The "Good Old Days"

moosehunter21
07-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I see 4 or 5 every year, this year if I see one its hittin the dirt!!!

whitetailsheds
07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Saw one way high up in some rock slides, higher than the sheep. Couldn't believe he was up in that crap. Sorry for the sidetrack, but over 2 billion posts Gatehouse? Hole-eh!!

quigleyoutwest
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
A few years ago we were in a cutblock on the edge of a stand of trees,a nd all hell was breaking loose. Wolves were in there snarling at something. I went into take a look, and my partner was behind me. When we got a bit closer, the cacophony took an even higher pitch,and he stopped, scared to go in.

I finally crept towards the source, hoping to get a shot at a wolf while it was preoccupied. Then I snapped a twig, all went silent and that was it.

I could still hear some scratching noise, and I went a bit further then looked up a tree to find a VERY angry, PO'd wolverine. The wolves had treed him.

He made his displeasure with me known and then did a remarkable thing. He did a BACKFLIP form one tree to another, landing on the tree facing down at me and snarling.

I pointed my rifle and was thinking "Do I need a tag? Is this area open? You never used to need a tag...Hmm.."

In the end, I erred onm the side of caution, didn't shoot. I just wish I had brought my camera into the woods, as it was still in my daypack, left back with my frightened partner.:mrgreen:

thats a neat story, once in a lifetime

bruin
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Walked up on one in Region 6 at about 20 yards, we stared at each other for a minute before he took off. I didn't have a gun and my hunter was too far back to get a shot. Pretty neat looking animal, very ominous looking mug. I've seen a couple over the years, one was chasing sheep this season in the NWT, he never caught one.

BCBear
03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Last year you had to pay $8 for your tag and wait a couple of days...now you don't even have to buy a tag:biggrin:...The province must be crawlin withem so look out

unless it's an error.:(

Yup..it was an error see page 10 it's $8

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0910/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_0910_Part1.pdf

.330 Dakota
03-10-2010, 08:36 AM

Now thats cool.

BiG Boar
03-10-2010, 08:49 AM
So now we need a tag? Last year I remember it not being in there. There are a lot of people who now think we dont need a tag. Have to wait till the 2010-11 regs come out and see.

Elkaholic
03-10-2010, 04:12 PM
It took the MoE until Dec to realize they made the mistake of not saying that you require a tag for wolverines. But by that time if I had seen the one that I have seen in previous year it would have been long dead. Then what a mess I would have myself in thanks to the MOE.

ufishifish2
03-10-2010, 06:44 PM
You guys who've seen them are super lucky. After 17 years working in the bush, that's one of the only critters I have never seen. Glad to know we do need a tag........ cause you never know!

moosinaround
03-10-2010, 06:56 PM
In 20 yrs in the bush, I have seen a half dozen wolverines. 2 yrs ago I see a couple of them together digging up an old fire pit. Down the Gregg creek rd of all places, very close to town!! Seen 2 wolves down there this year, and a very substancial grizzly print in the snow 2 yrs ago! Maybe a LEH season in 7-12 for grizz??!! Moosin

Shermdog
03-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I have never seen one in the bush. But I remember as a kid hearing people talk about how the are crazy and most animals in the bush avoid them, as they have been known to tune up animals like wolfs, bears and cougars etc. I recall one of my first nations buddies dads saying they call them "carcajous" and that they commonly steal fresh wolf kills etc. Wouldnt mind shooting one though and getting it stuffed!

thebigrig
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
An old native yukon trapper/guide told me that is the only animal in the bush he is afraid of, and apparently they love north facing slopes in the valleys.

tuner
03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
i've never seen one in the wild,but my favourite footage of one, is from ''alone in the wilderness'' in which a camera films one gleefully sliding down a snow blanketed hillside in apparent delight, to dick pernike great surprise.''he doesn't look so feroucious to me'' is dick's amusing comment on the surprising display he's witnessing from the feared beast.

hunter1947
03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
I saw two last year in the EK where I hunt ..

dawn2dusk
03-12-2010, 09:40 AM
back flip :-D I can just picture that. Like somekind of ninja.

Wolverines are sure pretty impressive animals.

slyfox
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Seen 2 one in dease lake and one in squamish.

Doe Eyes
03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
So now we need a tag? Last year I remember it not being in there. There are a lot of people who now think we dont need a tag. Have to wait till the 2010-11 regs come out and see.

It wasnt in there last year...this is from the BC GOV. website re: updates..

The 2009/2010 Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis incorrectly states that wolverine species licences are not required for B.C. residents. A wolverine species licence is required for both B.C. residents and non-residents to hunt wolverine. The on-line 2009/2010 Hunting and Trapping Synposis has been updated.