PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting tips

behemoth
07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
So I got an bull elk draw in the West Kootaneys after 17 years of trying. :biggrin:
I've never hunted elk before, mostly deer and moose where I live.
Everything you read about elk talks about bugling, but what about preferred habitat? Is it similar to muleys? Should I be focussing in the high country or the valley bottoms? Should I still hunt or park myself and bugle? All you elk hunters, what do you look for when narrowing the search?

rocksteady
07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Oh boy did you just open up a can of whoop-ass!!!!

You have applied for LEH for 17 years and finally score on a coveted West Kootenaybull and you know nothing about the animal you put in for?? And know you want to know 2 months before the season you want to know how to hunt them??How dare you !!!!:twisted:

:mrgreen:There, thats the spiel you may get from some members on here....however I say...Damn!! You are persistant and congrats on the draw..Hope you score on a nice bull.....You will be addicted to elk hunting, welcome to the support group...."I am insert name and I am an ELKAHOLIC"...

My recommendations:

1) If you know someone who lives around there that would be willing to point you in the right general area or even be your hunting buddy, even better.

2) Get Primos Speak The Language Video with calls, you will learn a lot about vocalizations.....

3) REad a lot of magazines, rent videos, etc etc, not so much focusing on teh elk, but like you say, the terrain, elevation, aspect, timber types.....Watch the videos over and over til you get a real good feeling as to how/why/where the elk are.....

Good luck...

sako_300
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Step 1 - Find someone who bugles (well, preferably)
Step 2 - Inform that someone you have a kootenay draw and he can come with you
Step 3 - Find Bull
Step 4 - Harvest Elk

bowhunterbruce
07-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Step 3 - Find Bull
Step 4 - Harvest Elk
ya if only it was that easy lol

Slee
07-17-2009, 02:44 PM
What west koots area?? I may have a few contatcs for you. pm me

J_T
07-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Step 3 - Find Bull
Step 4 - Harvest Elk You forgot step 2a, inform that someone who bugles how much you are going to charge him for the experience.

hunter1947
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't know when your draw comes into effect ,but if it is in the rut learn how to cow call ,cows chirp all year around.

Head up to the area you got drawn for and pound every where you can ,go up there as many times as possible to scout.

Knowing someone in that area would be a big pill of help ..

Elk can be at a low elevation or hi elevation at any given time of the year.
look for this years rubs ,water ,feed and there bedding areas once you find this the elk will be around there somewhere good luck ,hope you get a bruiser of a bull elk this fall http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

4570hunter
07-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Google a guy named ELK NUT he's got videos and call tapes. You can even call him up. He's got gear that he will modify for you so you can Bugle better.

I have been chasing for so long that this year I put in for a cow and got it.

Get a Montana's elk decoy number 2 learn to call and be patient. Best option is get someone who has been elk hunting for years and let them teach you.

Good luck!

338 whisper
07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
what region I had west koot bull 4 years a go and we seen lots of bulls i passed one up on the raod and still got 300+ bull 52 " main beems and 481/2 spreed not monster but good enough for me.

behemoth
07-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Its for region 4-14

thatskindafunny
07-18-2009, 08:07 PM
My very first time out for elk was with a very respectable hunter of 85. He decided to take up hunting elk at the age of 70. He shot 11 elk in 13 years. He turns to me and says I don't know when the elk are going to be hear Dougie but you have to be hear when they are. He has since passed on. I sat in my tree stand a year later hunting blacktails and said, Ken I don't know when the big one is going to come by but I have to be here when he does. An hour later I shot one of my biggest backtails. So,,,,,, put in your time and things will happen.