PDA

View Full Version : 4-02 zone x cow or calf elk

coquitlam
07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Very excited. my son and I have received this LEH and have never been there we wanted a new hunting experiences and we are going to get it. I understand that being it is zone x we can do a coordinated hunt on farmers land. Has anyone done this before and what type of terrain are we going to be heading to. (unfortunetly we won/t be able to prescout due to distance and time)

Thank you so much

07-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Very excited. my son and I have received this LEH and have never been there we wanted a new hunting experiences and we are going to get it. I understand that being it is zone x we can do a coordinated hunt on farmers land. Has anyone done this before and what type of terrain are we going to be heading to. (unfortunetly we won/t be able to prescout due to distance and time)

Thank you so much

There is a coordinated private land hunt on a limited area of ranch land in the Grasmere area. This is a pilot project. Contact information for prospective participants is posted on the first page of the Region 4 section of the hunting regulations. It will be worth your time to call in and book a time slot, success rates last year were in excess of 50%.

rocksteady
07-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Flat ground between the Rockies and Lake Kookanusa( 2 or 3 km in width) Lots of private land that you should be able to get permission on OR hunt the crown land adjacent for whe they come off the fields in the morning..

Once you are at the base of the Rockies, it gets steep, but its also fairly easy to find the elk travel trails on this stuff...

Are you plannning on camping? Not many hotels in that area....

Bring a quad if you have one...Not for hunting off, but just for hauling out your elk....

Good boots, may not be very steep in the flats but boot leather usually equals success....Covering the ground works....

Air photos/Google Earth. Identify waterholes/feeding/bedding areas.

Cover scent...Elk have phenomenol snouts....

Watch/read as many informative videos/magazines as you ca...Become one with your prey....Know their habits and habitat....

Good luck...

Kody94
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Here's what it looks like...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/4-02zonex.jpg

rocksteady
07-17-2009, 09:27 AM
4Ster...Show off....Pictures worth a thousand words, so I bow to you...:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

cwocarsten
07-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Hunted there many times. Make sure you bring Whitetail and Muley tags, there are quite a few in the area.

Kody94
07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
4Ster...Show off....Pictures worth a thousand words, so I bow to you...:biggrin::wink:

:) Some might just call it lazy....a thousand words take a long time to type! :biggrin:

07-17-2009, 12:35 PM
And by the way,,,stay away from those big green circles you'll see on Google Earth along the highway just south of the Hwy 3/95 interchange.

Kody94
07-17-2009, 12:55 PM
And by the way,,,stay away from those big green circles you'll see on Google Earth along the highway just south of the Hwy 3/95 interchange.

He's safe...that's 4-03. :)

coquitlam
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. my son and I have been hunting this thick cover for years and are looking very forward to the new terrain. We have already talked to the land coordinator and will be trying to be set up with a farm. I grew up on a farm until I was about 18 and being able to hunt on a farm again brings back alot of memories.

Thanks again for your input all is welcome
Anthony

TheDuckinator
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Pm sent :)

Seeadler
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM

Thank you so much

Farmland tends to be quite flat. Away from the fields that is a very dry area. Don't hunt any fields with tall fences around them, you won't have much luck. Keep in mind that a large chuck (10,000+ acres) of Zone X is Indian Reserve. If you are hunting the edges of private land, be prepared to find someone else sitting in your spot or 50 yards away.

Have a Whitetail tag. Don't bother with a Mule Deer tag as your chances of getting one below 1100m at that time of the year is very, very low.

Watch out for Crown Grazing leases that still have cattle on them.

eastkoot
07-22-2009, 08:01 PM
There is a coordinated private land hunt on a limited area of ranch land in the Grasmere area. This is a pilot project. Contact information for prospective participants is posted on the first page of the Region 4 section of the hunting regulations. It will be worth your time to call in and book a time slot, success rates last year were in excess of 50%.

Noticed in regs the plan only mentions youth/seniors season and contact is only after Aug.11. Does it in fact apply to LEH season as well??

slowkey
07-22-2009, 08:54 PM
yep it does. I had this LEH 2 years ago and I contacted the coodinaor in mid Aug. Funny thing is When I got there I couldn't get a hold of the coodinator (phone) so I hunt crown land and got my elk the first day.

Funny thing I have the same draw this year

eastkoot
07-22-2009, 09:43 PM
yep it does. I had this LEH 2 years ago and I contacted the coodinaor in mid Aug. Funny thing is When I got there I couldn't get a hold of the coodinator (phone) so I hunt crown land and got my elk the first day.

Funny thing I have the same draw this year

Just might see you there then..

slowkey
07-22-2009, 10:27 PM
me and my hunting buddy both got a tag. probably go up end of sept beginning of oct. probably stay at Loon lake so stop on by

07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Noticed in regs the plan only mentions youth/seniors season and contact is only after Aug.11. Does it in fact apply to LEH season as well??

The coordinator (Susan H - you might know her Damer) was getting calls in July and even June from hunters trying to scoop up the prime openings so the working group decided to place a time frame on when the earliest bookings can occur. She doesn't get paid in June and Jjuly.

It's also for all hunts, even bull hunts and white tailed deer hunts, bucks and LEH, anything that's open, it's only a method to get hunters onto that private land that might otherwise be posted and is not restricted to any particular hunts, sex, or species.

Last fall:
* 9 landowners participated.
* 61 hunters participated during the youth/senior season harvesting 23 cow elk and 12 WTD bucks.
* During the cow elk LEH season 29 hunters particpated harvesting 16 cow elk and 8 WTD bucks.
* There is also a usual harvest of 2 or 3 bull elk.
* Success rates are over 50%.

Seeadler
07-24-2009, 07:28 AM
The coordinator (Susan H - you might know her Damer) was getting calls in July and even June from hunters trying to scoop up the prime openings so the working group decided to place a time frame on when the earliest bookings can occur. She doesn't get paid in June and Jjuly.

It's also for all hunts, even bull hunts and white tailed deer hunts, bucks and LEH, anything that's open, it's only a method to get hunters onto that private land that might otherwise be posted and is not restricted to any particular hunts, sex, or species.

Last fall:
* 9 landowners participated.
* 61 hunters participated during the youth/senior season harvesting 23 cow elk and 12 WTD bucks.
* During the cow elk LEH season 29 hunters particpated harvesting 16 cow elk and 8 WTD bucks.
* There is also a usual harvest of 2 or 3 bull elk.
* Success rates are over 50%.

Are you sure those are numbers from last year and not '07? I went down there last fall looking for a bull and didn't see much, talked to some farmers (including one in that program), the guy at the store, stopped at the band office, talked to a few other hunters (couple of seniors and a guy from the Lower Mainland with LEH). Everybody's story was the same, no elk. I heard of 4 cows taken. One farmer told me he had 2 seniors get mad at him because there were no elk (like he is supposed to keep them tied up or something).

421fighter
07-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi. I am a senior and trying to find out how this thing works. I have not been to the Kootenays before, so have no idea how it works or where to hunt. Does the coordinator just find a landowner willing to let you hunt, or do I need to pick an M U that looks promising?I have emails in to the coodinator and MOE, but as yet no information coming back. If someone could give me more information, I would be very gratefull. All I have is some ambition, a hunting trailer, quads, and enthusiasium. Oh, and some rifles. Dave

coquitlam
07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
One farmer told me he had 2 seniors get mad at him because there were no elk (like he is supposed to keep them tied up or something).

Wow , who the hell do they think they are to give hell to the farmer. People don/t realize what a great opportunity that those farmers are giving us. I am sure that everyone of those farmers have many negative stories of hunters with no permission coming onto there lands and damaging property ,fences and leaving garbage. All it takes is 1 negative situation and the farmer can say I am out of this program. We need to make it a positive situation where the farmer wants us back and other farmers join the program.

As a kid I grew up on a farm and remember chasing people out of the barns and picking up crap by the creek and finding that all the gas was gone. The public was something you kept out of the farm unfortunately.

I know when I arrive to the designated farm we will be in our civies , be at our best behavour and bring them a large west coast salmon and make it a possitive time on the farm.

Come on guys if you are lucky enough to have drawn the LEH do your best and remember you are hunting in the Rockies, that/s gotta make you smile.

Sorry for my rant but that last post pissed my off

slowkey
07-24-2009, 03:02 PM
don't forget you'll need insurance to hunt the private land. very easy to get just join the BCWF

07-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Are you sure those are numbers from last year and not '07? I went down there last fall looking for a bull and didn't see much, talked to some farmers (including one in that program), the guy at the store, stopped at the band office, talked to a few other hunters (couple of seniors and a guy from the Lower Mainland with LEH). Everybody's story was the same, no elk. I heard of 4 cows taken. One farmer told me he had 2 seniors get mad at him because there were no elk (like he is supposed to keep them tied up or something).

Nope, those are 08 numbers. Heard the same complaints though, seems the hunting pressure moves them off the properties at times. I think this fall they are going to schedule in a few "rest" days so that hopefully doesn't happen.

07-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi. I am a senior and trying to find out how this thing works. I have not been to the Kootenays before, so have no idea how it works or where to hunt. Does the coordinator just find a landowner willing to let you hunt, or do I need to pick an M U that looks promising?I have emails in to the coodinator and MOE, but as yet no information coming back. If someone could give me more information, I would be very gratefull. All I have is some ambition, a hunting trailer, quads, and enthusiasium. Oh, and some rifles. Dave

There are only a handful of designated landowners in the program. The advantage is that when you get assigned you will not be in a big crowd, only so many hunters at one time.

There are lots of places to hunt besides these program lands, all the Crown Land below 1100 meters is open during the youth/senior season. just head out there and have some fun.

coquitlam
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
for all who follow this thread ,here is a link for the maps showing private and crown boundaries for the east Kootenay

ftp://ftp.rdek.bc.ca/Maps/rdek_web%20key.pdf

Kody94
08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
for all who follow this thread ,here is a link for the maps showing private and crown boundaries for the east Kootenay

ftp://ftp.rdek.bc.ca/Maps/rdek_web%20key.pdf (ftp://ftp.rdek.bc.ca/Maps/rdek_web%20key.pdf)

Good link coquitlam. Thanks.