PDA

View Full Version : caribou

Wild one
07-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Well now that I know what daws I did not get it is time to plan for Aug. So the only partner I could get to go whats to hunt caribou and I have never hunted them but am willing to give it a go.I was hopping some one here could point me in the right derection as I have never hunted that far north . We would be hiking in as a jet boat or plane is not an option for this trip. I know this is not the best way to plan this trip but we look at it if we don't just go and try we will never get one.

Bowtime
07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
have you ever hunted around dease lake? There is a road called the Jade road just south of dease and it brings you back into some great caribou country. Truck or Quad will bring you along ways back.

Wild one
07-17-2009, 11:02 AM
No I have never hunted that far north. I was considering dease lake area .How many hours from the lower mainland would it take to drive there?What other game are in the area?I know I have lots of questions but it's a long drive and I have nevere been there.

smoke-eater
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Dease is roughly 10 hours from PG, you can figure out the rest. Pick up a moose tag as well. If you plan on eating the caribou, go before mid September. The meat from a rutting bull is downright nasty.

How would it be if you made it into sausages??

Wild one
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
Will be up there for aug 15 .Is there goats or sheep up there as we would like to hike into the hills and give them a try if the option is there.

BlacktailStalker
07-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd check the regs for the MU you plan on hunting.
If its open up there, chances are you'll see some.

LYKTOHUNT
07-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Dease is roughly 10 hours from PG, you can figure out the rest. Pick up a moose tag as well. If you plan on eating the caribou, go before mid September. The meat from a rutting bull is downright nasty.

I would agree the meat from a full rutting Caribou will make a maggot puke

Wild Images
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Rut meat from a bull caribou is just the ticket for all those folks who like to ask for your hard earned meat because you got a whole freezer full for Free.
Let them suck on that crap for a while and see if they come back for more :twisted:
Early season stuff is very tasty, save a bit of fat off the hind quarter and heat in the pan , cook two inch thick chops in it and top off with an ice cold beer.

BlacktailStalker
07-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Rut meat from a bull caribou is just the ticket for all those folks who like to ask for your hard earned meat because you got a whole freezer full for Free.
Let them suck on that crap for a while and see if they come back for more :twisted:
Early season stuff is very tasty, save a bit of fat off the hind quarter and heat in the pan , cook two inch thick chops in it and top off with an ice cold beer.

:idea::idea::idea:

Lance Barkman
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Seriously? I've guided and hunted the Central Barren Ground Caribou for years and they always rutted with their relatives the deer population. Are you telling me the Mountain Caribou rut at a different time? Maybe the Mountain Caribou are closer to the elk family?

pitbell
10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Central Canadian Barren Ground, and mountain Caribou both rut in late September and early October.

ratherbefishin
10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
I've always heard that meat from a rutting buck is rank-but the worst smelling mulie I ever shot was excellent-not a taint on it.I came down with the flu on the trip, all I could do when I got home was hang it ,not even skinned,for 10 days and when I finally got around to skinning and butchering it, I figured it was going to be fit for dog food-but strangely enough, it was as good eating as I've ever had.Generally, I try to skin them still warm,and then hang them before butchering

Dale
10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Best thing to do with a rutted up critter is handle the meat with extreme care. Do not let the meat come in contact with any part of the hide or even your knife that has touched the outside of the animal. Keep the meat separate from cape and hide, and wash it down if it comes in contact with urine or any of the glands.

Lance Barkman
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Well the Central Canadian Barren Caribou I know and love rut in October but mostly November. Late September the bulls are often in bachelor groups (and with cows) and are just getting warmed up. September is the peak of the migration activity and they mate more once they slow down and hit the trees. The meat has always tasted perfect even halfway through october. So I don't know what all the fuse is about the Mountain Caribou. Are they different? I guess I could google it. Is it maybe that guys are letting their late september caribou spoil??. But I have heard this a few times, so its probably true.

Lance Barkman
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
OK so the mountain caribou rut during their migration period, in Sept Oct, different the CCBG bous from my knowledge. huuuuuuhhhh.

d6dan
11-25-2009, 10:35 PM
I shot my mountain caribou on Sept 27th and it wasn't rutted up at all, but he was with the ladies..Not really too sure when the rut starts:?::-?

Big7
11-25-2009, 10:59 PM
If you plan on eating the caribou, go before mid September. The meat from a rutting bull is downright nasty.
Have you ever killed and eaten a bull from late september? I have harvested two, both at the end of september (full rut) and they taste amazing!

My Mom grew up in Fairbanks, Alsaska and she said that every once in a while they would kill a bull that even the sled dogs wouldn't eat....they rest of them were awesome.

I don't think timing has anything to do with it...just the animal itself...luck of the draw I guess!

"skma"
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I would agree the meat from a full rutting Caribou will make a maggot puke
i 2nd that! :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Have you ever killed and eaten a bull from late september? I have harvested two, both at the end of september (full rut) and they taste amazing!

I don't think timing has anything to do with it...just the animal itself...luck of the draw I guess!

Ditto!!

I have killed a bull on Sept 21 and another on Sept 23 (two years later) and neither tasted bad. The first was stolen by a well know Pilot in the area, but not before we enjoyed a roast of backstrap and tenderloin stakes cooked in Crown on a small camping stove. Both were great.

The second bull's meat was excellent as well.

A rutting mulie in Nov was much stronger that both Bou's

Each to their own I guess.

Cheers

SS

Lance Barkman
11-26-2009, 02:08 PM
All of my own bou's were shot in late August/early Sept., and they were awesome - all were big, old, fat bulls. I've guided hunts on close to a dozen bulls in the full swing of the rut, and they were terrible. The cooked meat stunk pretty damn bad.

The few accounts on this site are the first I've heard of good eating rut caribou, which is good to hear. Regardless, I think I'll keep hunting them early if they are going in my freezer:wink:

So are they still in velvet in early september? I've heard with mountain caribou, the later in september the chances of shooting a bigger bull are better. Is this true? But part of the appeal of caribou hunting for me is the meat. But don't get me wrong I wanna put a 400 plus bull on the wall. I would also prefer to shoot a hard horn. I know the taxidermist can do a few things to half shedded velvet porus rack, but Its not the same as a nicely polished rack. any thoughts?

bforce750
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
How would it be if you made it into sausages?? WE TRIED EVERTHING ITS STILL F$!!in GROSS.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2009, 02:53 PM
4 bulls down on Sept 18th and they were all awesome as can be! Have never heard of a good one from early Oct.

SSS

David Heitsman
11-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I understand it's thoughts expressed like this thread about late caribou edibility that caused the early closure for caribou in 7b. For those of us who like mixed bag / late season hunts the caribou is off limits while sheep, elk, moose are goats are open till the 15th or 31st.

Why are caribou open till 10/15 in 7A and 10/10 in 6 and closed by 10/1 in 7b? Is the rut at a different time? Would they taste any different?

I've only taken a couple caribou. One on the Sikanni in September that I never got to eat and another in the McKenzie's in NWT in September that tasted great. Brought home probably 20# of roasts from him and enjoyed all of it. My guests liked it too.

bruin
11-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I haven't spent alot of time chasing caribou in BC but I have in the Yukon and NWT. In the early season most of the bulls are in large bachelor groups and are usually way back in a basin or on a ridge top trying to stay in the wind and out of the bugs. Definitely harder to find but if you do there are usually several mature bulls in a herd. By the time late season (late september) rolls around they have stripped and are moving around looking for cows. I would say this is the best time to find a big bull, no different than hunting mulies.
I have yet to have a bad caribou in September and I've probably eaten 15 different bulls.

Lance Barkman
11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I haven't spent alot of time chasing caribou in BC but I have in the Yukon and NWT. In the early season most of the bulls are in large bachelor groups and are usually way back in a basin or on a ridge top trying to stay in the wind and out of the bugs. Definitely harder to find but if you do there are usually several mature bulls in a herd. By the time late season (late september) rolls around they have stripped and are moving around looking for cows. I would say this is the best time to find a big bull, no different than hunting mulies.
I have yet to have a bad caribou in September and I've probably eaten 15 different bulls.

That has been my experience with CCBG bou too. Are those still mountain caribou in Nwt or are they Barren ground? So what is your biggest caribou to date? How hard is it for a BC resident to hunt caribou in NWT's or the Yukon? Do you need to go through an outfitter?

bruin
11-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I was guiding in both territories. NWT was the Mackenzie Mountains which is still Mountain Caribou.
If you know someone living in the Yukon you can get sponsored same as BC, otherwise you have to go with an outfitter. Not sure but I would assume the NWT is much the same.