PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Nelson/Creston?

Evolution
07-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Upon a failed LEH Draw I began looking for alternate"best bangs for the buck" It appears that 4-7 and 4-6 have a lot to offer during the first 2 weeks of September- Mule, White tail, Elk , Moose, Showshoe Hare, Grouse and Bearded Turkey. Anyone interested in offering an Islander some advice on a trip your way?

30 model a
07-17-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm and hour out of Nelson in Trail, pm me and maybe I can give ya some assistance.

Devilbear
07-17-2009, 07:09 AM
The hunting is not as simple or easy as the "regs" make it seem, although there is a lot of game there. The problem is that many of the best places are not accessible by roads, due to gates and closures and some private property, as well.

The forest cover is more like that of the coast and VERY dense, while the terrain is steep and slippery. In an average dry fall, you cannot stalk an animal due to the noise of ground litter under your feet and they tend to be nocturnal, so, one sees relatively little game, compared with the Muskwa, or, East Kootenays.

IF, you KNOW the region and have time, there are some HUGE ELK and quite a lot of Mulies and Whitetail, as well. The immediate area around Nelson is mostly private land and quite "built up" as hordes of yankees and even some Albertans have bought properties there and eliminated much of the best winter habitat.

In the past two years, I saw VERY few Grouse and this was in places where we used to limit out every day; too many quads, predators and wet, cold springs, IMO. The BCFS sprays in logging areas and I also think that disrupts the "serial progression" that the Grouse food web is built on, not that the BC gov't. "experts" care about mere residents hunting or environmental issues............

I would tend to concentrate more in 4-6 and particularly it's eastern side, this is nice country and easier to traverse than the Nelson area, generally speaking. The "Goat River" USED to be "THE" place for my hunting buddies when I was tied up with Selkirk, 40 years ago, but, a lot of guys go there now, so........

HTH, good luck! :)

Brambles
07-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah 4-7 and 4-6 sort of leave Nelson out of the picture. The portion of 4-7 that is in and around Nelson is not very huntable due to all the parts you can access being private property and a little something called a "lake" cutting off access to the parts that have no roads.

Evolution
07-17-2009, 03:47 PM
From the maps and google earth I seen 2 roads that interested me in 4-7 off of hwy 6, they might be locked by gates as you say, or private property. The 2 roads are Boulder Pit Rd and Porcupine Rd. Are these accessible to your knowledge? ( I know they are a ways away from Nelson itself) I see there is a moose opening in 4-6 from Oct 15- to 31st. Is this worth coming up for? I have a quad, but Im more interested in stand hunting and using the ATV simply for transport duties. Thanks for the info, its hard being on the Island trying to "scout" areas via the intranets.

Chuck
07-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah 4-7 and 4-6 sort of leave Nelson out of the picture. The portion of 4-7 that is in and around Nelson is not very huntable due to all the parts you can access being private property and a little something called a "lake" cutting off access to the parts that have no roads.

Exactly! And it's getting you can't even take your gun out and let off a few rounds, and someone reports you to the police. Sure you can see quite a bit of game.........all standing on someones front lawn.

sawmill
07-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Come to Kimberley,we can at least find a whitie buck.

gwillim
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up for moose in the West Kootenays. I work in the bush every day, and maybe get a look at a moose 2 or 3 times a year. If you want to come for some good deer hunting the corridor between Nelson and Salmo and down to Nelway, has lots of potential if you like walking. As mentioned, road access is often gated, through private land, or grown in with alder. North of the west arm of Kootenay lake the good areas are all restricted to vehicle access. Leave your quad at home and bring a mountain bike!

honda1
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
ya stay home lol leave the game for me.

snowhunter
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I have shot white-tail high up the Goatfell-Hazel Creek road, in the border area of 4-06 and 4-04, just north of the # 3 highway.

Early season have lots of elk hunters in that same area, with horses as well as a cut trail for quads goin up to the alpine. Came across of lots of fresh elk beddings.

Also, if you find my loaded extra clip, for my Parker-Hale 30-06 on that mountain, please let me know :)

The road going along the powerline, north of # 3 highway, from outside and east of Creston, was "patrolled" regularily by local road hunters. Lots of elk along the valley's going towards the # 3 highway.

The Arrow mountain, just north of Creston, also have some deer, and I come across a fresh gut pile.

Also lots of interesting FSR roads going up the mountains, north and east of Creston.

Good luck !

RMG
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
From the maps and google earth I seen 2 roads that interested me in 4-7 off of hwy 6, they might be locked by gates as you say, or private property. The 2 roads are Boulder Pit Rd and Porcupine Rd. Are these accessible to your knowledge? ( I know they are a ways away from Nelson itself) I see there is a moose opening in 4-6 from Oct 15- to 31st. Is this worth coming up for? I have a quad, but Im more interested in stand hunting and using the ATV simply for transport duties. Thanks for the info, its hard being on the Island trying to "scout" areas via the intranets.

Boulder Pit Rd, is solely in 4-08 and is mostly private land, while Porcupine Rd, begins in 4-08 once it reaches 4-07 you are in the infamous Darkwoods Area. 4-08 along the Salmo River and Tribs are great for mule and white tails expecially later in the season. You may chance out on one of the elusive mooses too. Been here 10 years and maybe seen 10 moose, so they are not abundant. However the deer are, just watch for private land.