PDA

View Full Version : I have a hunt to share!!!!

4570hunter
07-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I was lucky enough to get drawn for a Cow or Calf Elk & Anterless White tail deer in 4-08.

I don't know the area well enough and was wondering if anyone would like to share this hunt with me. It would start October 10 till November 10
Share the meat, expenses etc.

I can ride & pack horses if need be and would like to only hunt for about a week. PM me if interested.

Thanks for taking the time to read this......

Brambles
07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
The cow elk in that area is a lowland hunt, below 1100 meters or something like that, you won't be needing horses. Lots of it is private land, and includes portions of other MU's. Read your hunt description well. You need to be well educated in your boundary's and You don't have free range over the entire MU.

The doe will be fairly easy and you will have free range over 4-08 for that one.

Tricky part is that time of year you might have a tough time finding the cows that low in elevation.

Good luck, bring enough gun, don't bring a 243 to hunt them, they may be cows but they are also elk. Don't expect them to drop on the spot.

There was an unfortunate incident involving some out of towners who got the draw and shot a cow elk with a 243, didn't drop so they figured they missed. The next cow elk came buy, shot, ran off, oh well must have missed that one too. It was the third or Fourth one that Thank god dropped in its tracks. They scooped up their elk and left for home.
Took an excavator to bury the 2-3 other elk that spoiled once the closest landowner found the carcases. CO's managed to catch up with them I believe.

Have fun

Brambles

4570hunter
07-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I shoot with a 45-70's that's all I have nothing has ever gotten away far

4570hunter
07-16-2009, 09:23 PM
I thought that might be the case of lots of private land. Hopefully someone that lives there or comes from the Fraser valley and has permission can help me be successful. Nice meat if I can be so lucky to harvest either animal.

palmer
07-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Go as late as possible...good whitetails in Salmo...If open hunt sheep creek and around Rose bud lake....I have not looked at the zone....I lived in Salmo for some years if you need any other help ask...

Palmer

palmer
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Go as late as possible...good whitetails in Salmo...If open hunt sheep creek and around Rose bud lake....I have not looked at the zone....I lived in Salmo for some years if you need any other help ask...

Palmer

Forget what I just wrote you are not near Salmo...You are around Castlegar and in the Valley...Try to get behind the castlegar golf course or on the lower part of MT sentinal....Good luck....

4570hunter
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Palmer

Do you know if the land is private? Does anyone know how many elk are in the area? Looking at the Draw regulations I thought I had all of 4-8 to hunt?

Brambles
07-16-2009, 10:14 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_maps/Elk_4-08_Zone_C.pdf

palmer
07-16-2009, 11:04 PM
The land behind the golf course is public as with most of the bottem of Mt sentianal....You best look at what brambles gave you as you have very little of 4-08 to hunt and it will be tough unless you knnow someone with some private land along the roads...

Palmer