PDA

View Full Version : Found this in a rainbow, Anyone know what it is?

bearass
07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZEQUKrz1lfY/Sl1i5PS_JqI/AAAAAAAAAeU/sOr4DRL9ggc/s512/IMG_2038.JPG
So I was out fishing on the weekend July 11 and 12th. We were fishing in the Columbia River and had a great weekend ,caught lots of fish.After the sun went down we filleted one rainbow for dinner.Half way threw my meal I noticed this in the meat.It is about 2to3mm in diameter and about 10mm long.It looks as though there is some sort of copper windeing inside?

Any body know what it is?

300H&H
07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Its a fish torpedo.
Call the bomb disposal squad, ASAP.

It could be a fish tracker/transponder.

Jagermeister
07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
It must be a radio transmitter, the kind that they insert in fish. They are triangulating the position and just getting the satellite upload as I type and will be knocking on your door soon. You can run but you can't hide.

DBM
07-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like it might be a pitt tag. We once did a study with agriculture, fisheries and foods using these. We agreed to take in 5 different strains of rainbow trout and track their grow rates by first injecting the 10g fingerlings with these. Throughout their lives we'd scan these, then weigh and measure each fish - thus allowing us to compare grow rates between strains.

These tags are the same things you'd find in tagged sturgeon on the fraser, or in your pet dog if he's been "microchipped".

bearass
07-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I guess I will just have to flush it.

bearass
07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Looks like it might be a pitt tag. We once did a study with agriculture, fisheries and foods using these. We agreed to take in 5 different strains of rainbow trout and track their grow rates by first injecting the 10g fingerlings with these. Throughout their lives we'd scan these, then weigh and measure each fish - thus allowing us to compare grow rates between strains.

These tags are the same things you'd find in tagged sturgeon on the fraser, or in your pet dog if he's been "microchipped".

That sounds like interesting work.I have done some asking around and it sounds like the americans have quite the fish stocking program down in lake rosevelt. Maybe it swam up.

brenden
07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Its a pit tag. Your fish likely had a microscopic piece of encoded wire in its snout as well.

Brenden

martyonthewater
07-14-2009, 10:34 PM
I guess I will just have to flush it.
why not drop it off with the local co?

Johnnybear
07-14-2009, 10:44 PM

Exactly. If it is a tag of sorts report it to the proper folks. I'm just learning about the American fish programs and some of them are impressive to say the least. Wish some of that money could be used up here.

bearass
07-14-2009, 10:45 PM

I was jokeing about flushing it.

Thats a good idea about giveing to a co I will have to make a phone call tomorrow.

bearass
07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Exactly. If it is a tag of sorts report it to the proper folks. I'm just learning about the American fish programs and some of them are impressive to say the least. Wish some of that money could be used up here.

Ya I also herd that the money getting spent in the rosevelt lake program would make your head spin. I do not know what the exact sum is but I herd it is in the multi millions

Ddog
07-15-2009, 02:01 AM
looks like a chip, i tagged hundreds of sturgeon on the fraser river and it looks very similar, although the ones i have used were clear glass with the wiring inside.
like DBM said, once the fish were injected with these we would record length, girth and km mark on the fraser river where it was caught. all the chip contained was a number and when the scanner was passed over the fish the number would come up if it was a tagged fish. When i left the program i think there were a dozen boats with the scanners and chips.
we had a re-cap ( a fish already tagged) in the lower fraser around port mann bridge that was tagged 5 days before in Hope. we had lots of re-caps so we knew the program was working.

islandboy
07-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Have the MIB shown up at your door yet? :eek:

bearass
07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Have the MIB shown up at your door yet? :eek:

Ya they did, but I don,t remember anything now.

Brambles
07-15-2009, 05:05 PM
I can't believe you actually caught a fish:p

bearass
07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I can't believe you actually caught a fish:p

Hey now mr Brables be nice.

The fishing was sweet, we caught 2 fish the first night and 14 the second I have never seen it so good.

SHACK
07-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Its definetly a pit tag, bring it in to your local co, he should know of any studies being done in the waterways you caught the fish in. Be somewhat careful with it as they are a thin glass shell arround the encoded wire, we use scanners to read them, and once they are crushed they are no longer scannable.

Good find!

PGK
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
PIT tag. "Passive Integrated Transponder"

You should probably run it down to the MoE office. Who knows what kind of study they're doing. Usually it's to determine where and when fish are moving where. They can be scanned by small hand scanners.

Brenden, coded wire tags and PIT tags are not usually used in the same fish.

Tarp Man
07-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Good thing you didn't swallow it. Who knows what kind of data you would have produced for their studies?