PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for early september hunt up north?

7mmWSM
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking at going on a 7-10 day hunt up north during the first two weeks in september. Targeting elk and moose, but it would be nice to get to an area with access to alpine for mulie/goat potential.

Looked into doing a fly-in or a jetboat trip, but not sure if we can make the numbers work. We have a quad and a canoe.

Can someone point us in the right direction? We used to go up to Chetwynd, but we heard the area wasn't too hot lately. You don't need to give up your honeyhole, just a nod in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

moosinaround
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Farrell creek north west of hudson hope? The back end of the halfway river? Pink mountain/Lily lake? The east side of williston lake north of Mackenzie? Dina lakes area? Tsey kay Dene area on the north tip of williston lake, though isolated and some say a tad rowdy?? Sukunka/Wapiti lake area up around Tumbler Ridge?? Just a few! Good luck, let us know where yer heading, may be able to shed some more light! Moosin

Dukeoflawnchair
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I can second the Farrell and the Halfway...seen more elk between those two than anywhere else in my life. They connect through the haystack FSR too! (IIRC, something like 28 km between km 46 on the Farrell / Kobes FSR, and 42 on the Halfway / Graham rd)

hunter1947
07-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Lots of elk and moose in Farrell and the butler ridge ,would be my area to hunt ,saw a dandy 6x6 bull elk on the 16 of Aug 3 years ago ,no elk season opened at this time ,wish it was :rolleyes:.

KodiakHntr
07-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I can second the Farrell and the Halfway...seen more elk between those two than anywhere else in my life. They connect through the haystack FSR too! (IIRC, something like 28 km between km 46 on the Farrell / Kobes FSR, and 42 on the Halfway / Graham rd)

You wanna hang onto your job there kid? Keep giving up the honeyholes and I'll make it a priority over the next month and a half to make your life hell......

Joking...Joking.....(almost...)

moosehunter21
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Havent been seeing much moose around here(Mackenzie) I go up into the dina lake areas almost daily and not much activity. Up the east side of williston lake hasent been too shit hot lately either, I think its gonna be a tough hunting season for me here.

7mmWSM
07-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. What should we expect in terms of the early september timing for weather, rut etc.? Should we be targeting higher elevation areas at this time of year?

hunter1947
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. What should we expect in terms of the early september timing for weather, rut etc.? Should we be targeting higher elevation areas at this time of year?

We hunted low elevations in the opener of moose and where successfully ,saw the elk down low as well .to me elk and moose are where you find them ,they can be hi or low at any given time..

elkdom
07-16-2009, 01:16 PM
We hunted low elevations in the opener of moose and where successfully ,saw the elk down low as well .to me elk and moose are where you find them ,they can be hi or low at any given time..

oh, so true! :wink:

the ones you find are low,ground level and dead,,,:cool:

the ones you dont find are high, elevation about 7 or 8 feet! :lol:

daycort
07-16-2009, 10:18 PM
the Farrell and halfway is good, be prepared to share your hunting though. Moose has been scarce there for the past 2 seasons. The elk are just like H47 said they are where you find them.

I would go south of tumbler ridge wapiti river area if I was planning a hunt.