PDA

View Full Version : Moose, Dawson Creek

BearSniper
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
A possible interesting opportunity has come our way.:shock:

My son milks cows with a worker (Rob) who has a very good Farmer friend outside Dawson Creek. Rob used to live and hunt up in D.C. Rob knows we're hunters.

Rob says he could call the farmer friend for us and get us persmission to hunt on his 4000 acre farm up there for Moose. Evidently the farmer is tired of the Moose eating the barley and wheat, and would like a few less Moose around. [7-33]

I think it's a great chance to go for Moose, but I admit I'm nervous about hunting on someones property who I don't really know. Maybe I'm being too polite, respectful of others, or just cautious. It's an incredibly gracious offer. I'm trying to look at it from the farmers point of view on the trust issue.

What to do ?

Any one else been in this position ?

thanks
BearSniper

leadpillproductions
07-14-2009, 09:19 PM
What To Do? Go Hunting Have Fun

Dukeoflawnchair
07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
On the way in, I'd drop off a nice bottle of wine and ask for any info / pointers / concerns about his land (I dunno, does he have an O&G lease going through?)

Vader
07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Best of friends are often made by chance. The worst that could happen is you have to load your own moose.. but them northern people are awful friendly and I bet he shows up with a tractor.

NaStY
07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
I suggest you don't do it.

Just give me the info so I can let them know you wont be able to help them out and are sending me instead......

BearSniper
07-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh you bet I'd thank the farmer..................:-o

Like a case of wine, or several bottles of Crown Royal and a good hind quarter of moose meat.

moosinaround
07-14-2009, 09:27 PM
A possible interesting opportunity has come our way.:shock:

My son milks cows with a worker (Rob) who has a very good Farmer friend outside Dawson Creek. Rob used to live and hunt up in D.C. Rob knows we're hunters.

Rob says he could call the farmer friend for us and get us persmission to hunt on his 4000 acre farm up there for Moose. Evidently the farmer is tired of the Moose eating the barley and wheat, and would like a few less Moose around. [7-33]

I think it's a great chance to go for Moose, but I admit I'm nervous about hunting on someones property who I don't really know. Maybe I'm being too polite, respectful of others, or just cautious. It's an incredibly gracious offer. I'm trying to look at it from the farmers point of view on the trust issue.

What to do ?

Any one else been in this position ?

thanks
BearSniper
Umm........Go hunt moose, and elk, and if all goes well mulies and whitetails later on!! Do not pass up this oppourtunity! Take me with you ;-). does the farmer need any trees cleared, or any small jobs needing attention? A day of sweat equity goes a long way to show your intentions. It is how the trust is built between you and the farmer. You may not know each other now, but it could turn into a very good freindship! Who knows maybe the farmer may enjoy a moose or elk steak with trimmings one night?? Go, it is a pretty cool adventure! Moosin

BearSniper
07-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I can see we're going to have to take a few extra hunters with us...:redface:

Summit 512
07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Is he the farmer with all the old trucks in the yard that plays the banjo

bearhunter338-06
07-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I was planing a trip up there also in August. Now it looks like work is going to get in the way again. Why oh way does this keep happening. Maybe I will be able to make it up in the fall.

rifleman
07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll go if you don't. If your not sure about this guy, go & meet him & have him show you around. He will probally tie one up for you just to save some of his crops. There will be alot of fences & you need to know which ones you can cross. Have him ask any of his neighbors about hunting their property also. By the time you have their permission also, you will need 2 weeks to hunt all the property. Good luck.

troutseeker
07-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Meet the farmer, get to know him a bit. Be yourself and you'll probably get along. Then he invite you and your son to take out some elk which are a real pain to the farmer's up there.

I say live the life, go for it! I would if I had your opportunity.

bridger
07-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I was planing a trip up there also in August. Now it looks like work is going to get in the way again. Why oh way does this keep happening. Maybe I will be able to make it up in the fall.

look at the bright side you can always find a job. lol

bearhunter338-06
07-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Not complaining about the work as I need it, so I am going to see if I can make it up there in the fall for the Elk Moose season. If I could get a moose or elk shure will help out with the food bill. Oh and for all the guy's and gal's who havent been up there the game is almost all grain feed.

hunter1947
07-15-2009, 07:18 AM
You got nothing to loose ,if me I would give it a try and see ,with that kind of acreage it would be like hunting in any other area.

bigwhiteys
07-15-2009, 07:35 AM

As others have suggested, whisky, wine, rum, etc... usually goes a long way with establishing some rapport, We've had great luck with fresh seafood too, prawns, crab, halibut etc...

And as Moosin' said, sweat equity! Farmers always have shit needin' done and you're a hero when you help them. And ALWAYS offer up some of the meat you harvested, even if they say they don't want any.

Carl

BearSniper
07-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Thank you folks:smile:

All good suggestions. Very good points about helping the farmer.