PDA

View Full Version : Camo Pattern Advice

Kevin So
07-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Any preference or experience on which camo pattern works best in BC? Real Tree? Mossy Oak? Others? Good Price?

Thanks

Krico
07-14-2009, 08:27 AM
The pattern itself really doesn't make much difference. Look for one that does a good job of breaking up your outline, that's the most important part. I feel that many of the camo patterns out there are too dark-look for one with lots of contrast.

martyonthewater
07-14-2009, 09:31 AM
ASAT, doesn't look great to us but it's not our eyes that need foolin. google predator camo, in alberta I believe

leadpillproductions
07-14-2009, 09:36 AM
i use mossy oak new break up , it seems to work for me .

ThinAir
07-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Optifade by Gore......Sitka inked the deal with gore and has the new line out this year.

huntwriter
07-14-2009, 10:29 AM
After studying animal vision as part of my profession as an animal behaviorist I have come to the conclusion that the only two camo patterns designed to fool deer, not hunters, are ASAT and Predator fall grey and fall brown. Consequently, ASAT and Predator are the only camouflage patterns in my hunting wardrobe for the last 20 years.

How well does ASAT work? This spring I went turkey hunting with a friend. My hunting partner could not see me standing next to a tree only 30 yards away camouflaged from head to toe. His comment. "Wow I could not see you. I thought you left me here."

huntwriter
07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
The pattern itself really doesn't make much difference. Look for one that does a good job of breaking up your outline, that's the most important part. I feel that many of the camo patterns out there are too dark-look for one with lots of contrast.

You're absolutely right. Animals couldn't care less about photo realistic branches, leafs and bark printed onto fabric. Good camouflage mimics light and shadow. As you pointed out quite rightly, most popular camouflage is to dark and at a distance looks like a black blob walking through the woods.

Here is a clue. A camouflage company that brings each year a new and "improved" pattern on the market never got it right. Or more appropriately caters to hunter "fashion sense". A few years ago I asked a rep of a well known camouflage company, "How do deer see your camouflage?" His answer. "I don't know. We do not try to sell it to deer but the hunters sure love it." Enough said.;-)

gary murray
07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Back in the day before camo became popular, didn't hunters wear plaid pants and shirts to help with the camo effect? As for me, i use Advantage camo.

Gope
07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
blue jeans and a Stanfield? what more dose one need?

kennyj
07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I wear Predator Fall Grey polar fleece.Easy to move in.Good price.
kenny

Kevin So
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the great advices. Much appreciated :razz: . off I go to find a good deal online.

mud-dog27
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Back in the day before camo became popular, didn't hunters wear plaid pants and shirts to help with the camo effect? As for me, i use Advantage camo.

the flannel was good cause it didnt put of UV rays or some shit which is supposed to be another problem with new fabrics/camo patterns is they hold/put off UV rays or somethin along those lines that our eyes cant see but an animal can

presonally i wear RealTree Hardwoods

but theres no "better" pattern cause the vegetation and terrain changes depending on season and location