PDA

View Full Version : Oregon 200 GPS

high and to the right
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I saw that Costco has the Garmin Oregon 200 with the Canadian Topo map for around $350. Does any one have one of these? Do they work well? The topo maps are usually around $100 so this looks like a good buy. Any thoughts?

Kevin So
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
I was looing at that too, the unit itself is good and the price at costco definetly was attractive, but after some research, there were reports of the touch screen not being responsive in cold weather. I was told its a more of a recreation model and the Garmin CSX60 is the way to go.

For what is worth, I recently bought a touch screen MP3 Player and noted it was difficult to know where to "touch" without looking at the screen because of the flat surface. Might not be a big deal to others but I found sometimes able to work the unit without looking directly at it, having the option to go by "feel", GPS or whatever, works better with gloves and able to keep my eyes out there.

My 2 cents,:grin:

high and to the right
07-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Walmart has the CX60 on for $328 but then the Ca topo adds another $$ to it. The Oregon was attractive because it was included. BUT the bottom line is functionality and reliability. I can get by with my old basic Etrex (all the moose spots are already marked on it) until the perfect model comes along.

Steeleco
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Check out www.gpscentral.com (http://www.gpscentral.com) and see what deals they have. I got my 60Csx there, the price was good the service was great.

I looked into the Colorado last year when I was shopping for a new unit. Lots of the GPS forums were slamming them due to reliability, I would wonder if Costco was selling off all the old stock? The same unit at the site above is quite a bit more??