PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules / regulations on training with birds on Vancouver Island...???

dakotawinters
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Just wondering about what kind of birds i can do training on ... with my dogs.
Chuckers, quail, pigeons... I dont have a hunting license I don't want to run into any issues.

dutchie
07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
to be legal, it has to be a purchasednative upland game bird to BC. You need to keep the receipt and show any CO that may ask.

That is to stay legal. Some shoot pigeons, ect.

Dutchie

dakotawinters
07-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Even if you have hatched them etc. ?

dutchie
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
that is a good question, when I asked a CO he said just make sure you have the receipt.

I am sure that if you were to tell them that you hatched them for this purpose, and if there are any problems bring him back to the Aviary, you should be fine.

Call the Local CO office and ask them. It will keep you out of trouble in the long run if anything should happen

Ben Fougere
07-14-2009, 05:28 PM
We are trying to catch some pigeons up here for training. Pigeons are listed under schedule "C" of the hunting regs and it says that you do not need a hunting license to catch them.

I've had the trap out for a day now and so far no luck. Feels like the pigeons know that something is up. They all flew away when I put it out and only a few have returned to the backyard.

Does anyone know what bait to use to catch a pigeon? Are there any specific traps that some people like to use?

Jimbo
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Good questions. Here's another one for you all. Do you need a Migratory bird license to throw a duck for your retriever on public land ? Never thought about it before.

Sasquatch
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Does anyone know what bait to use to catch a pigeon? Are there any specific traps that some people like to use?

For traps to work, you need to bait the area and get the birds comfortable and then add the trap - then reduce the area of the bait and increase it in the trap.

However, I have found my trap less efficient than a salmon net. When you feed them, (bread crumbs or bird seed works well) just be patient and wait for them to gather around your feet, then throw the net over them.

Have to be a little careful transferring them from the net to a cage. Little buggers fly away if they see any daylight.

bopper
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Easiest way to catch pigeons is to go to a barn where they are roosting at night, and with a flashlight and a long-handled landing net, they are easy to scoop up. Remember that it is illegal to shoot birds that are launched by hand or by a mechanical thrower.
In Canada, we are allowed to use migratory game birds for training, as long as they were legally obtained during hunting season. In the USA, they cannot use migratory game birds for training.

Ben Fougere
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Remember that it is illegal to shoot birds that are launched by hand or by a mechanical thrower.

I almost forgot. The hunting regs also states, on page 14, that "Any capture or killing of these species must still abide by provincial laws regarding the humane treatment of animals." I was looking for the provincial laws regarding what is considered humane treatment and I could not find any leads as to where to read about the proper treatment of captured species under schedule "C." Does anyone know where to find this info.

Bopper, I had no idea, nor intention to shoot birds that are launched, but for curiousity sake is this one of the humane treatments in provincial law?

I guess my concern was...how does a person make a pigeon into a training dummy for their dog and do it humanely?

dakotawinters
07-15-2009, 11:41 AM
So you cant' shoot the pigeon if its from a launcher or thrown.... but what if your dog gets em? (my purpose of using the launcher and pigeon) was because the pigeons could fly back home. The gun was more for show as I need my dog to get used to a shot gun.

bopper
07-15-2009, 01:17 PM
No problem if you use the launcher and fire a blank to simulate hunting conditions.
The law prohibiting shooting birds launched by hand or from a mechanical device is a federal law, not provincial. It came about many years ago, to stop the live pigeon shoots which were common back in the 30's.
If you dizzy a pigeon, plant it, have a dog flush it, and you shoot it, that's o.k.

Ben Fougere
07-15-2009, 06:42 PM
If you dizzy a pigeon, plant it, have a dog flush it, and you shoot it, that's o.k.

?

I don't understand. What does dizzy mean? If I spin around real fast with the pigeon and then place it on the ground is that ok? :p

dakotawinters
07-16-2009, 10:30 AM
The dizzy ive seen where they hold the bird and spin it around like its on merry go-round. Making the bird "dizzy". You can also just plant birds with a wing over the head. But they don't necessarily stay there.

Thanks Bobber for all the Help!

dutchie
07-16-2009, 11:44 AM
To Dizzy a bird, wither a pigeon or a Quail, chukar, pheasant ect... Take the birds head and fold it under the wing, hold the wing and in a lateral motion swing your arm back and forth (like a pendulum) plant the bird on the ground with its head tucked under the wing on its chest and bottoms of the feet facing up under its body

I hope that makes sense

Dutchie