PDA

View Full Version : OK/Thompson Mule timing

spear
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
This will be my first season hunting, spent all spring chasing black bear on the island but more excited for this fall.
I can only get over to the Ok and thompson for one week between the begining of season and nov 16th, any suggestions on timing? Not looking for some trophy buck, be happy with numbers to get meat in the freezer. Thanks

THE SWEDE
07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
The week leading up to the 16th would be my choice.But with that said theres some awsome early season hunting opertunities in region 3

300H&H
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I had great luck mid/late Oct. here in the Okanagan.
Jelvis would be the guy to PM if you want to go around Kamloops.
Good luck & have fun.

Ltbullken
07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Being a resident Thompson area hunter, I'd say end of October to mid-November is the peak time for Mule deer. The biggest buck I ever took was at the end of Oct.

07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Another vote for the end of the season hunting.........some of the absolute best mulie hunting l have experienced has been towards the end of Oct and into Nov.

coach
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Pretty hard to beat seeing them in bachelor groups in the high alpine early in the season. Good idea to plan two trips. Late October, early November is also great timing.

blackbart
07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I would suggest going during the any buck season in region 8 from Oct 1-20th, or the region 3 any buck season from Oct 1-31st. As a new hunter your odds of putting some meat in the freezer are probably better during these seasons than they would be during the later four point seasons. Have fun.

jasper
07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I would suggest going during the any buck season in region 8 from Oct 1-20th, or the region 3 any buck season from Oct 1-31st. As a new hunter your odds of putting some meat in the freezer are probably better during these seasons than they would be during the later four point seasons. Have fun.
x2 good call

Angel
07-14-2009, 09:07 AM
to fill the freezer, its kind of nice to be there for Oct.1 for opening day and you can usually fill your tag by the end of the day. I like Nov for bigger bucks.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Don't forget that the Region 8 mule deer season is not open during the week in Nov that you mentioned. This might help you narrow down your choices.

As mentioned above the "any buck" Oct seasons might be the best suggestion for a new hunter. Counting points won't be an issue then.

SSS