PDA

View Full Version : What to get

Veters
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I am looking for a pair of boots to purchase. I know that they should be waterproof, have good ankle support, and durable. Are there certain types of boots that I should look for or will good hiking boots suffice? Steel toe or not? What else should I look for in choosing a good boot?

bigwhiteys
07-13-2009, 06:30 PM
What else should I look for in choosing a good boot?

I would start by determining where I planned to hunt most with said boot... And no to the steel toe, that would be a biotch on long hikes.

What kind of hunting will you be doing?

Carl

wolverine
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Steel toes are hard to walk in and freezing cold in the winter. Comfortable, waterproof and fairly lightweight is what you need. Unless of course you are doing a lot of "wet" kind if hunting, then there are the good rubber ones.

leadpillproductions
07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
i just bought a pair of asolo's they kick ass

mudbud
07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
What's your budget? Hanwags or Meindl's are hard to beat. I have also had great luck with Danners and Vasques.

srupp
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I have used Vasques for hiking..light duty and meindles for heavy duty hiking..never ever had a wet foot or sore feet in Meindles..even with errrr "considerable weight " being carried..

Steven

bsa30-06
07-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I have been using a pair of irish setter boots from Redwing.I have never had wet or sore feet and always warm in the cold months,aswell they are lightwieght.

Mr. Friendly
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
anybody heard of Rocky's before? Grouse is carrying them now and I'll need boots come September to break in.

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I like Baffins, light inserts high top gum boots with good grip for around wet grassy area on mountains around 2200 and up, gotta be totally water proof -- or your getting wet feet -- no leather except sometimes rubber bottom leather top with inserts for cold.
You get em at Surplus Herby's and no hiking boots for mule deer either -- north of Kamloops unless you road hunt a lot --
Jel--Baffin's will baffle the deer --

Muleycatcher
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a pair of irish setter elk trackers. I love them. I have totally submerged them in creeks and swamps and have never had a wet foot. They are very lightweight.

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Muleycatcher I seen that deer in your avatar before who ever got it, believe it or not ?
Jel but who would b leave that ?
Baffins for muley and moose hunting after fall starts --

frenchbar
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Ive had a pair of leather goretex Prospecters i beleive their called that i wear when im hunting the flats and rolling hills ,the easy stuff and man are they a comfortable boot to walk around in ,ive had them for 12 yrs and changed the soles a couple times.Got them at the big boot inn in Kamloops,they even triple stitched them for me when i got them ,theyve held up pretty dam good .

Veters
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
I will start in Rocky creek deer hunting. Eventually I will be up north for moose. Right now my budget is small, between $100-150, I'm buying a majority of my gear this year as I don't have any, so I need to start small and move up next year