PDA

View Full Version : dog vs skunk

martyonthewater
07-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Onyx, my german sheppard, decided to tangle with a skunk last night around 2:00 am. Whew, what a stink. I have heard tomoto juice is the best way to neutralize the smell and I hope it works as we are getting ready to pile into the truck and head for sheridan lake on wed. 5-6 hrs in an suv with a skunk drenched dog does not hold much appeal. anyone got any other remedies they care to share?

Angel
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
lol ouch! I wound throw everything including the kitchen sink on the dog. tomatoe sauce helps because the acids help break down the smell. so does sour crout and anything like that. But the only prob is that you have to wash your pup like crazy. it really just takes time. the over thing that helps is a mdu bath thick and heavy NO JK it helps!

im sure a few fellow hbcer's will have some good advice aswell.

6 K
07-13-2009, 09:03 AM
:lol:Leave dog behind with mother-in-law.:lol:

Jimsue
07-13-2009, 09:08 AM
googie it ' I think it was hydrogen peroxide they reccomended.

308Lover
07-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Forget the tomato juice. Use ordinary white vinegar! It's cheap and not messy. Rub thoroughly --use lots. Keep out of the eyes--use Johnsons "No more tears shampoo or doggie shampoo afterward. Repeat the vinegar if necessary (smelling like pickles ain't too bad!)

brotherjack
07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Yup, the peroxide/dish soap/baking soda thing works like a miracle. We've de-skunked our dogs with it many times, and you can't even tell they've been sprayed by the time you're done.

http://dan.drydog.com/patsyann/skunk.html

digger dogger
07-13-2009, 09:15 AM
jimsue is right peroxide a bit of vinegar & a teaspoon of sunlight dish soap to soften the water i can't remember how much vinegar but it wasn't much. it works grreat but ya will still smell him for a couple weeks then only when the dog is wet for a couple months.. one of my dogs got sprayed @ point blank, skunk in mouth.

sawmill
07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Just bury him for a couple days.

308Lover
07-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Well I'll be darned! I just hope the dog and skunk collide near a drug store! Maybe the vinegar does just mask the smell, but our dog was sprayed up close (border collie) and in two days was pretty much over it. I bow to the wisdom of brother Jack!

martyonthewater
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
thanks so much to all for their suggestions and remedies. I am going to give brotherjacks method a go for starters and then send him to the in-laws for a day or 2. hopefully I don't have to bury him after that but if he keeps messing with these skunks I may do it anyways lol. once again, thanks to all

brotherjack
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm tellin ya, once you get done with that bit I posted --- that dog will smell like he never met a skunk -- you should be able to stick your nose right down in his fur and still not be able to tell. We've done it a dozen times or more over the years. If he still smells skunky afterward, something didn't go quite right; he should come out smelling better than new.

The Dawg
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Go to the pet store and pick up Natures Miracle Skunk formula...worked like a hot damn when my German Shepherd tangled with one.

Iron Glove
07-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Go to the pet store and pick up Natures Miracle Skunk formula...worked like a hot damn when my German Shepherd tangled with one.

Yup, we used that and it seemed to work pretty good although for quite a few weeks after Molly would give of a faint skunk odour after she was swimming and her fur began to dry. Damn Tollers, with two layers of fur they suck up a lot of skunk. :biggrin:

betteroffishing
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
this should be a fun week , i brought the tiger balm for us to smear under our noses for when were hangin out at camp. just means ill spend more time fishing ,...without your dog on the boat.lol

martyonthewater
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
this should be a fun week , i brought the tiger balm for us to smear under our noses for when were hangin out at camp. just means ill spend more time fishing ,...without your dog on the boat.lol
Don't know what your thinkin there? I was gonna wash him ON your boat then chuck him in the lake to rinse. It's always more fun to let them shake off all that water when there's no where else to go lol.

bsa30-06
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
My dog has done this twice we used a shampoo from a pet store and it worked great.My dog has now taken to tangling with racoons, she now has a nasty cut across her face, hopefully she has learned her lesson.
The skunk smell will be present everytime the dog gets wet, cause the spray is almost like an oil, and absorbs into the skin and comes back when they get wet.

mcrae
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM

This worked good for us as well we had two dogs both get skunked at the same time:roll:

martyonthewater
07-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I have completed a 2 stage wash on Onyx now, 1st one outside with Brotherjacks suggested formula then a 2nd one with the same idea inside in the shower at the house. While the skunky smell is most certainly nearly gone from him, there is no mistaking the distinct odour of wet dog mixed with the lingering smell of skunk from outside.If there is any noticeable funk comin off him tomorrow I'll head to the pet store and get some taylor made shampoo. Thanks to all.

bopper
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Many, many years ago (yes, I'm that old!) I sent a young Chesapeake towards a blind retrieve, a dummy placed at the base of a big old elm tree near the Richelieu River in Quebec. Just as the dog got to the tree, a skunk came out from a hollow under the base of the tree; my dog grabbed the skunk and started her fast return to deliver to me. I used all the vocal commands in my vocabulary, "Sit", "NO", "Back" "Over" etc.,....but to no avail. She deposited the skunk at my feet where it proceeded to spray us both. I tried all the methods known to man at that time, but everytime it rained for weeks after, we were overwhelmed with Eau de Pepe......
Jimsue & diggerdogger are right, try their solutions.

martyonthewater
07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Well it looks like I am off to petsmart or such to purchase skunk killer shampoo. It seems Onyx got blasted pretty good as I washed him thoroughly everywhere but on his face directly but no question he still stinks

Night Hawk 3
07-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Onyx, my german sheppard, decided to tangle with a skunk last night around 2:00 am. Whew, what a stink. I have heard tomoto juice is the best way to neutralize the smell and I hope it works as we are getting ready to pile into the truck and head for sheridan lake on wed. 5-6 hrs in an suv with a skunk drenched dog does not hold much appeal. anyone got any other remedies they care to share?

My GSD tangled with a skunk on Saturday morning at 04:00 just before we were to head to the start line of the Knee Knacker 30 mile run... A quick was with Hydrogen Peroxide, baking soda and soap and she barely smells at all...

NH3