PDA

View Full Version : Dogs at Langley LAPS shelter

huntinnewbie
07-13-2009, 06:52 AM
The LAPS shelter on 56 Ave in Langley just west of 264th has 2 hunting dogs for adoption.
1 is a female Labrador retriever and the other is a beautiful purebred German Shorthair, also a female, young dogs and up to date on their shots and are spayed. Check out there website for more info or drop by. Would be nice to see these girls go to working homes.

Jimsue
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I was passing and stopped in for a look, the lab was not there, but is still available. The GSP is a nice looking young dog in great shape, pass the word and get this young dog out where she needs to be.

regards jim

( a lab guy )

newhunterette
07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I live not far from LAPS and often my daughter rescues animals and takes them there to be adopted to good homes or to have their homes found. If someone from HBC happens by and adopts the sweet GSP, let me know as I would be honoured to buy ya a coffee seeing your in my neighbourhood.

Shelter puppies need love too.

mijinkal
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
How are GSP's with Kids?
I just moved to 10 acres in South Langley and we've been discussing getting a dog soon. We just haven't decided on a breed. GSP's are on my list though. It'd be a huge bonus if I could get it out hunting with me too. I'll talk it over with the wife tonight.

huntinnewbie
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Breaks my heart! My son has a GSP and I love her to death but hubby is a died in the wool lab man. If I thought I could get away with it, I would take the GSP in a heart beat! Hope someone adopts her and lets her do what she was born to do.

mijinkal
07-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I just saw her on the website and it says she's not reccomended for homes with kids.

huntinnewbie
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
How are GSP's with Kids?
I just moved to 10 acres in South Langley and we've been discussing getting a dog soon. We just haven't decided on a breed. GSP's are on my list though. It'd be a huge bonus if I could get it out hunting with me too. I'll talk it over with the wife tonight.

I noticed that the listing for this GSP at LAPS is listed as a home without kids is preferable. My sons GSP is just a year old and she is sweet with my 4 year old grand daughter and doesn't have an aggresive bone in her body. I'm thinking that because she is a little shy and they can be pretty goofy and go, go, go ie: none stop energy, that maybe why she is listed as such.

huntinnewbie
07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I just saw her on the website and it says she's not reccomended for homes with kids.
That seems to be standard with any of the high energy type dogs they have. But check it out, maybe there are other problems with her.
Sorry about the double post re information as you are posting as fast as I am.
Maybe Jim can fill us in as he actually went and saw her. I only live 5 minutes from there, maybe I'll go and check her out and will let you know.

ruger#1
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I have two GSPs and my daughter hasnt had any probs with them.

newhunterette
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
just because they recommend a home with no kids doesnt make it not a good animal for kids - we adopted an abused blue heeler 13 years ago and my daughter was 4 at the time and they kept saying this dog was not adoptable or could be an extreme danger to children - my daughter was set straight to having this dog so we took her against their better wishes and she is now going on 15 and has never ever attacked, bitten, or shown agression except to those trying to break into our house.

Most shelters will let you have a grace time with the animal you adopt to see if it will fit into your family

huntinnewbie - we must be neighbours lol

riflebuilder
07-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I have had lots of GSP and they have been great family dogs. My little girls used to use my last GSP for a pillow. They are very loyal and loving dogs. I woudn't have any problem reccomending a GSP to a family.

mijinkal
07-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I grew up with Dalmatians so I'm not too concerned with high energy dogs.
You can usually find out if the dogs personality is good pretty quickly. I just don't want a dog that's agressive at all towards kids or people. I'll do some researching into the breed tonight and see if they're what I'm looking for, then talk it over with my wife. I'll check back here in the morning and possibly go check her out this week.
Thanks for the heads up!

bsa30-06
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
we rescued a blue heeler when i was a kid that had been beaten repeatedly and tied to a tree with chicken wire and left to die.I have 3 brothers and never once was that dog agressive or mean with any of us.I see no reason an energetic dog like a GSP should not be around kids.

mijinkal
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
My wife's not to excited about getting a dog right now, too much sh#t going on and she doesn't want the added responsibility this summer with all the renos and bla, bla, bla . . . I just stopped listening.
She brought the damn cat home 5 years ago when I told her I hate cats. It's my turn

Angel
07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
My wife's not to excited about getting a dog right now, too much sh#t going on and she doesn't want the added responsibility this summer with all the renos and bla, bla, bla . . . I just stopped listening.
She brought the damn cat home 5 years ago when I told her I hate cats. It's my turn

damn rights Mijinkal, thats how to talk! no go get your dog :grin:

mijinkal
07-15-2009, 01:41 PM
:cry: :cry: the GSP's gone. I guess I should have moved quicker on that one. There's a few pups on kijiji that I might go check out. Any tips on where to look for a pup?

moosehunter16
07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
i wouldn't recommend kijiji you never know if there are puppy mills or what not. look for a breeders of GSP on the internet or ask you local vet for a legit breeder and go and take a look at the pups.. i have a English Springer Spaniel and i would recommend that kind of dog if you were looking to get into hunting with it, but the GSP are great hunting dogs as well. the Spaniel is great with kids and mine would never hurt a thing.. other than birds aha. If you need any other advice about Spaniels PM me and i will give you some more info.
Cheers, CD

ruger#1
07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
There are some German wirehaired pointers in the paper, If you want the phone #s , give me a pm, They are ready to go and the price is $350.00