PDA

View Full Version : Rookie help NEEDED!

Bromley
07-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi there folks!

I am looking to do a hunt in Chetwynd PG area this August. I have hunted since I was twelve with a family friend and he has shown me a lot but now he and I do not have time to go out with one another and I have essentially dedicated my life to the outdoors. Now that I have just turned 18 I got my Restricted as well as Non-restricted and got my little brothers into hunting and they got their C.O.R.E completed. My father does not hunt thus I am here looking for someone willing to give me some serious advice. No need for honey holes or anything I am just looking to go into PG area with my truck loaded to the top with a quad and my gear and my little brothers. Camping on an FSR area with all the hunting around it would be ideal. I am looking to seek new terriotory and gain personal knowledge and experience in the field. In turn I am looking to bag an early season any bull and fullfill my younger brothers dreams of bagging their (2 of them) black bears and come home with some nice bone, hides, and some serious meat to do us a long while. Accordingly any advice as to areas to go how to plan the trip I would just like to tent it with my crew and hunt in and aorund the mountains in that area, LEt me know any thoughts on area etc..

<<Hopefully this thread takes off for some very VERY appreciated advice>>

PM'S WILL WORK JUST GREAT IF YOU WISH NOT TO POST!

thank you in advance and know I will always be giving to the hunting community!

Brom:p

bowhunterbruce
07-13-2009, 05:36 AM
well, do i ever remember being 18 and planning a hunt with my ol man.when we had determined that we were going hunting for any piticular animal ,i took it upon myself to first learn everything i could about that critter as well as any secondary animals that we would encounter that we could possibly harvest.
i would first start by figureing when we wanted to go and find out everything and i mean everything about that animals habits,ie:diet,mating rituals,habitats,etc.then i would get out the maps and figure out where best i would likely find the said critters and coordinate those maps with the regulations.
nowadays maps are made easiler with the advanage of google earth and other interaweb type ways of finding things, which is totally awsome.
then i would figure all that we were gonna need for camp and compile a list ,everything from licences and tags to pots and pans and dish soap.
always included more rope then you figure your gonna need and an extra tarp or 2.
meal planning ment figuring what we wanted to eat roughly and when ,always add the chocalate bars, my personal favorites for snacks back then.
once everything was organized then came the task of getting everything ready as per the lists and i would have pretty much everthing in a pile in the garage 2 weeks before we were to leave,(just a little over excited ya could say huh )
in doing all of the tough stuff before we left i not only would learn new things about the outdoors but i learned how to call and talk to the animals,now i'm no dr.dolittle but i'll tell ya this, nothing is more exciting then when you call for any piticular animal and it responds back in any form from a grunt to even a branch snapping close by,then to have that animals come to investigate your calling.man what a rush.

i found that doing all of this before we went out was just as rewarding as accually harvesting the animal, and once at your destination exploreing and testing all that you learned before you got there was an exciting way of conferming that i should forever want to be out there challenging myself and being one with the enviroment and the personal gains from those experiences as well as the bonds that have been made over the years will forever be etched
goodluck
bruce
p.s.
as a newbe you owe us a good joke!!

hunter1947
07-13-2009, 05:50 AM
PM sent http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

moosehunter21
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
PM sent...

Bromley
08-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey guys the information thus far has been so helpful! We have planned and layed out our gear we just have not picked an area yet so any more help sent via PM's or posts would be unreal!! No honey holes needed just a nice long FSR that i can bring my truck down in a ways to set up base camp and further quad up and down roads in search of the bull moose and big boar!

GoatGuy
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Head up Farrell creek road. It certainly isn't a secret but there's a pile of moose in there. Take bug spray and get yourself off the main roads. If you have a quad there's lots of spots to check. If you find some moose grab a seat and a can of bug spray and you should be off to the races.

Worry about cooling your meat down - there's lots of way to do it.

hunter1947
08-11-2009, 05:40 AM
PM sent http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
this isnt help for an area because ive never been where you are talkin about........but it is advice... bring two hatchets with you, when you shoot your moose you can split it on the spot by first cutting the hide and meat away from the spine. then place the first hatchet on the spine and hammer it with the other. take your time to keep it all in line.
i've used everything from chainsaws to folding hand saws and this works the best it is quite easy to quarter an animal this way....the only better i have only heard but not tried is a cordless sawsall with a demolition blade.
chainsaws must be deligated only to splitting moose using canola as chain oil other wise if you use it to ge fire wood in the summer then run it only a bit with canola it could get you meat oily, and any way it is messy to do it that way.

d6dan
08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
If you get something and its warm, take it to a butcher shop and hang it. if your fairly close to chetwynd, it will save in the long run..

08-11-2009, 11:58 AM
ps good on ya for takin the bro's. keep it up i'm serious when i saw hunting kept me out of alot of trouble, when you hunt it gives you something we all have. Respect for something

Bromley
01-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Just looking back on this thread i posted a couple years ago i think it was, and i am reminiscing of our trip up there and how appreciative i am for all of these comments, pm's etc. Along with some of the negative things (very few) on this forum, comes a wealth of knowledge, and kindess and i wanted to personally thank everyone who contributed to our (success?) FUN. HAHA. Hunted for a week at the end of farrell took me and my bros with my little dakota, 2 quads, and a trailer packed to the rafters two days to get there. (got lost a lot) we were a bit disappointed as we saw many does in the lower farrell and a few up high and one b bear as we were setting up camp :S and could not get a shot haha the whole trip was just a riot and we took it all in good spirit even the time i spent a whole day with my bros on a hill i knew had moose in it as we walked back to quads and left we passed two gentlemen with about 25 mins of shooting light left coming in, quick talk, thought nothing of it, bang bang, turned around they and not 200 yards past us they shoot two bull moose one monster, and an immy hahahahaha what a trip! i loved some of the country up there. Everyone we talked to said it was really slow that year and we were super late in the august season.

again thank you so so much to all of u that so greatly helped, especially a gentlemen, i cannot remeber his name but he even phoned ME to help!

we have taken many animals after including a BC book BT this fall, and A BC book black bear in kamloops on our way home from farrell!

I would like to try up there agian this summer! any one care to join? especially those who helped?

Tips concrens wanted conversations all welcome

My rant is over

Brom

doubled
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Good to hear Brom, hope you and our bros are still going strong in this hunting stuff. Good for the mind and soul.

rattling_junkie
01-23-2011, 08:46 AM
You should try bowhunting. It will definitely make you a better hunter. You have to pay much closer attention to all the details. Then if you do want to go rifle hunting, then you will be that much better and more successful. Good luck!