PDA

View Full Version : rookie sheep hunter needs some advice

kebes
07-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Me and my brother are going on our first sheep hunt this fall in the East Kootenays...which I am stoked for....but as I've been thinking about it I was wondering about something. We're going to be backpacking in, and I was wondering if it would be better to pack everything each day or set up a basecamp and leave everything but the packs. I guess the idea is, if we go after something in the evening it could be a pain getting back to base camp in the dark. Anyways, I would appreciate some insight from some of you who have some experience with this. Thanks!

Kody94
07-12-2009, 06:45 PM
It totally depends on the area you are hunting, how long you're going to be there and how much ground you want to see. I do it either way, or a combination of both.

Mugger
07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Sounds like an adventure. Take it slow,move to a location and glass and glass for a couple days at a time or you will be spotted first and only see them moving over the next mountain. Stay off skyline or game over,every situations different,night hunts are tough sometimes its better to put them to bed and make a plan for the next morning I have had a few stalks that started at 3am fallowing a compass and a head lamp and was in possition at first light.Good luck. Living the dream.

bighornbob
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Depends on where and when you are hunting. Early september you can easily stay the night on the mountain with just the cloths on your back and a fire (my uncle used to call this a Graveyard shift). As october rolls on, the nights are colder and you could be hit by snow so having a shelter could save your life.

BHB

GoatGuy
07-12-2009, 11:15 PM
If you're going sheep hunting get used to hiking several hours in the morning/evening in the dark. Getting caught late on the hill or getting up early is just part of the program. Better off camping out of the way and walking a bit extra - then the critters don't know you're there (2 and 4 legged ones).

boxhitch
07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, depends on the area. You may want to stay high, once your there, for best viewing.
Consider leaving the bulk of camp somewhere central, and pack what is essential for a night or two, then re-supply when moving to the next 'best' spot.
Stay out of sight, no ridge walking, and have no glossy reflective materials. Cover that wrist watch too.