PDA

View Full Version : Game quarters puller outer

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Help, I need a very good idea on a real cheap, real light frame and rope dragging surface type of thing a majeeg to slip a moose quarter on, or a half deer etc on, to go over fairly grassy and some old grassy road, behind closed gate on a road. Something I could get at wal mart or a surplus store etc. in Kamloops. :-o
Something easy to carry or drag with prefer no wheels but open to suggestions and name brands in a Kamloops store -- thanks any idea's -:idea:
Jel -- will read each suggestion and feed back --- :eek:

300H&H
07-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey JellyMan

Have you thought about using a boat trailer hand crank and a kids snow sled ?
First go to the surplus store get a boat wench and 3/16 cable. Next the auto wreckers for a seat belt from a car. Sew both ends of the belt toghther and thread through the back of the winch. Strap it on to a tree and sinch it tight.Pull the end of the cable to your moose. Throw the hind quarter on the sled and start cranking. Very little effort involved.
Follow these directions or send $24.95 plus shipping for a hand drawn illistration on a Tim Hortons napkin to me. Send PM for current address. Cash, MO, Visa, MC, or stamps will all be good. :-P

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
I thought about the sleigh part, the plastic flat heavy plastic snow slider, and a decent rope, with a little block and cut the weight in half. This road is an old logging road behind a locked gate into a lake and it won't open ever to the public's vehicles -- but it's open for hunter's and there are moose and big mulies -- if the grass along and in the middle was wet no problemo draggin on plastic just need good handle and proper rope and in like flint.
Thanks i'll check the seat belt thin out if I can and the little winch but would like rope also.
Jel

Mr. Friendly
07-12-2009, 07:22 PM
a guy I know uses a couple of crazy carpets...wraps em around the deer and drags easy.

bigshooter
07-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Old steel wheel barrow bucket, take off the frame, and connect an eye for the rope.

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 07:50 PM
crazy carpets ? where and what are they, found.
Jelly-sandwhich

Mr. Friendly
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
crazy carpets ? where and what are they, found.
Jelly-sandwhich
I grew up calling them crazy carpets....but their called something else now. here are a couple you can find at CDN Tire:
www. canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/WinterSports/SledsToboggans/PRD~0825201P/Pelican%2BSnow%2BFlite%2B54.jsp
www. canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/WinterSports/SledsToboggans/PRD~0825206P/Pelican%2BSnow%2BFlite%2B36.jsp

quadrakid
07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I,m sorry Jelvis but i have to ask,why would you not want to use wheels?

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I could use wheels if they were light but strong, cuz after you drive to the gate and believe me the way the guy built it, you can't get around even with a motor bike only walk, but as soon as you get past it the moose trails and buck tracks are all through the meadow and little hill so a great spot for a game quarter puller outer thinga majigger -- awesome area just behind the strong metal gate -- moose and big bucks and absolutely no vehicles can get through.
Jelly pull and drag easier on a thinga majigger == this coming fall
thanks so far i'll try Crappy Tire and hit Surplus Herby's he's not your average dummy --

bighornbob
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I could use wheels if they were light but strong, cuz after you drive to the gate and believe me the way the guy built it, you can't get around even with a motor bike only walk, but as soon as you get past it the moose trails and buck tracks are all through the meadow and little hill so a great spot for a game quarter puller outer thinga majigger -- awesome area just behind the strong metal gate -- moose and big bucks and absolutely no vehicles can get through.
Jelly pull and drag easier on a thinga majigger == this coming fall
thanks so far i'll try Crappy Tire and hit Surplus Herby's he's not your average dummy --

Dont be so cheap and get a game cart from Wholesale sports.

BHB

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
game cart weighs ? I would come back and get cart from vehicle after gutting and quartering and go back to quarters and load one and quickly back as possible then back til all done, I would sling my gun cuz if a big muley buck walks out -- oh o -- big rack and frame and tall -- whad ya gone 2 dew ?
So quiet no squeaky wheels --
Jel -- we be jammin --

gary murray
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I use one of those long black plastic sleds from Can Tire. I can put a whole deer in it. Costs about $17.00 or so. Moves easily on grass, gravel or mud compared to dragging by an antler or hoof which we have all been through before. Only thing i had to do was drill a series of holes from the back up the sides to the front then thread my rope through it to distribute the pulling evenly.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/2007-10-18_161732_sled_001.jpg

Jelvis
07-12-2009, 10:44 PM
long black plastic sleds ? from Crappy Tire drill a few holes put rope through and start pulling with a huge hind quarters of a huge mule deer buck behind the solid gate keeping vehicles out, and allowing anyone to walk through a turnstile it's fantastic area too moose like wow for Kammy.
crappy tire's sounded better all the time -- my kinda price --
It's only hunting --- but I like it -- I like it -- i like the black sled thingy mickbobber --

gary murray
07-13-2009, 12:16 AM
My friend Dwayne who's also on this site and goes by BC30Cal introduced me to these sleds. I've pulled quite a few deer out with this sled but Dwayne has used his to haul out moose quarters amongst other game animals in the past so he's the guy that can actually tell you more about it of what it can haul than i can. The sled is about 6 feet long.

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I can see the potential and also the capabilities in the places I hunt other than beyond the big strong iron gate, like from the ridge I climb for big bucks but I ain't draggin it around there so might try some plastic and rope for a carry along, if it's in October and I nail a buck in the basin I hunt.
But for behind the gate it's looking goooooood so far Crappy Tires --
Jelness - -

MidnightRun
07-13-2009, 12:39 AM
I have a sled setup very similar to gary murray for winter use as a pulk. The difference being instead of simply using rope to pull the sled with I have threaded the pull ropes from the front of the sled through 2, 5ft lengths of 3/4" abs pipe and criss crossed in an "X" then terminated the rope with small caribiners which clip into the hip belt of my daypack. This harness system gives more control to the sled ie: going down hill, side slopes, turning and you have both hands free to use poles or carry a rifle. I'll post a pic later

Rod
07-13-2009, 12:51 AM
I have just the ticket, his name is Toffee and he is a 1200 lb Appaloosa.. two trips for an average bull moose probably do a mulie in one.

You shoot the moose (i have taken lots so not a priority for me) and while you are doing that I'll look for my first ever mule deer ;-)

gary murray
07-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I have a sled setup very similar to gary murray for winter use as a pulk. The difference being instead of simply using rope to pull the sled with I have threaded the pull ropes from the front of the sled through 2, 5ft lengths of 3/4" abs pipe and criss crossed in an "X" then terminated the rope with small caribiners which clip into the hip belt of my daypack. This harness system gives more control to the sled ie: going down hill, side slopes, turning and you have both hands free to use poles or carry a rifle. I'll post a pic later
Cool. I'd love to see a pic so i can improve on what i'm using.

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
a deer is one animal maybe cut in half three ribs back, for front and back and take one piece at a time. A moose would be a quarter at a time.
As long as it wet grass or little snow and slip sliding away into the butcher block for some mean double smoked smokies --
Let's see those sleds and how you re enforced the system from scratch --
Jelvis --

300H&H
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Jelly Man
If you take me to your super ultra seacet hunting spot I'll help drag your deer part way (the easy part).

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Yah but then after seeing this moose and huge muley paradise you would go hunting there with all your hunting buddies forever and leave me at home.
so you could surround the record buck and finish it off and then drop a spike/fork bull moose in the same day -- so no thanks for now --
Jel -- behind the steel gate of hunting paradise -- with a new thingy mcbobber -- 2 make pullin easier --

gamer
07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Try sasquatch fabrications.com not exactly cheap but definitely affordable.

Jelvis
07-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Samsquatch fabricashones for a middle of the road priced puller outer and, it better be made for B.C. animals around Kamloops, tough sleddin with a hot and heavy moose quarter steamin in the October breeze. Maybe even around the 20th of September for a spiker/forker K Pow == start pulling -- moronivitz -
Earn the right to eat moose and venison smokies - double smoked - with chedder cheese oozing out and called kinackers -- need a puller outer from behind the big tubular gate horizontal cross members - STOP ! No Way.
You can walk but no ride, so gotta slide -- or roll ? wheels -- round --
Jelly-puller -- -- + -- -- outer thinga majigger -- whatcha macallit --

MidnightRun
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Cool. I'd love to see a pic so i can improve on what i'm using.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1023.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1026.jpg
Its 1/2" pipe not 3/4" like I previously posted. Clip the caribeaners into your hip belt and away you go 8-)

Jelvis
07-14-2009, 06:37 AM
midnightrunnin in front of a unique little sleigh customized for pullin out game quarters, and a couple photos to show the design, looks good for behind the iron solid gate to pull out a deer.
Thanks midnight
Jel -- after midnight we're going to let it all hang out, in the cooler -- eric --

Jelvis
07-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Anyone try a wagon to pull on behind gated roads -- wheels could work in this area on a wagon -- a lighter wooden one or thinner metal wagon --
In case it's dryer out and no snow -- any ideas and photos or stores to get such a doom a hickey, a thingy mc bobber, a thinga ma jigger some kinda puller outter -- in quarters -- a wagon picture - of a skook um wagon puller outer ?
I'd appreciate your thoughtfulness and computer smarts --
Jelly no cattelli -- mu 3 - 28 into mu 3-29 - 4 - moose - and mule deer bucks -

Jelvis
07-20-2009, 04:10 PM
ok show me the carts and the pro tri carriers with wheels and all the gimmicks -- cuz the seasons soon and I need one pronto !
I'll even go to outdoor sales places on the hill in Kamloops if needs be -- what price, kimbo ?
Jel show me the ropes -- and the new modern day hunting puller outers --
I'm game --

4 point
07-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I think I know what gate to what area your wanting to get around. I have a wheeled game cart that works just fine. There is never any hunters back in there and your right about the moose and mule deer. Thanks for reminding me to go back in there this fall after the "fishermen" are all gone!

Jelvis
07-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I think someones zeroed in on my big buck little bull moose spot and his or her initials is 4 point, dang nab it I got competition when them fisher people up and say bye bye -- or even b4 they do -- lol- a BANG ! and going to scare those hill billy's .
4 point knows my spahh ot -- lol -- better not get my moose -- lol --
Lots to go around -- wood u b leave a 185 typically roman rose -- BAM !
Bring the puller outer thingy
Jelly -- we be jammin -- who dat ? -- who let the dog's out WOOF !
------------------ Dang Nab It ! ------------ loose lips sink ships -----------

4 point
07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I am very much a guy, older now but know many areas around Kamloops very well. I have taken and continue to take mule deer up in the country near where you talk about. Moose are there all though me and LEH draw success aren't. I read many of your posts and know of what/where you speak. You have obviously been around for a while and have some very good insight that young & new hunters should listen to what you have to say.

sparkes3
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
how about a wheeled dolly for moving boxes.can even get them with big wheels.lay it down flat strap on deer or moose quarters positioned so the weight is low when you stand it up and yer off to the butchers.or you could just us me i have packed out my share of mose and deer.

Jelvis
07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
hey a furniture dolly a not a bad idea cuz when you drive up towards the gate there is a little park spot and yah go in and as you get a few yards in from the gate on the old grassy road the fresh moose trails start right in about 30 yards going across the road and the trail follows along a ridge bottom to a little round lake with some meadow action.
Hello dolly !
Jel -- another not bad idea for a puller outer x 3 -- lol --

amerikazmoswanted23
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
i think the sled is the cheapest way to go. and jel is the fishing good up there ? whats the lake called i've been craving a fishing trip to 3-29

Vanman1985
07-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Jelly Man
If you take me to your super ultra seacet hunting spot I'll help drag your deer part way (the easy part).

I was thinking the same thing, 24, 6'4 about 260lbs. If you showed me your spot I'm sure I could drag out your quarters!:D

Jelvis
07-21-2009, 11:35 AM
This spot is fairly close to Kamloops a fairly easy drive through deer and moose country on a logging road then on a corner pay attention and turn west and drive a couple k and bam, steel gate - Kate - then walk - into moose and big bucks - everyone else just turns around and thinks it private land but no Crown and all open and it's fairly flat for good distance with water on the flat - and a little distance to a little lake with moose tracks all around and deer - got a puller outer - ?
This area is the spot that all surrounding mountains drop into -- a drainage head -
Then flows down into the north thompson -
Jel -- a sleigh, a wagon a thinga ma jigger - ? quarters are not light -- lol -

rocksteady
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
You can get 800 lb capacity "garden Wagons" check out Cambodian Tire again....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/GardeningTools/Gardening/PRD~0604540P/Yardworks%2BGarden%2BMesh%2BCart.jsp

I would take off the D -Handle and have a yoke on it for 2 guys to drive it, or a harness maybe for a single pull...

4 point
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey Jel don't give to much away or everyone and there dog on the way to Clearwater for them big bucks will want to stop in.

Jelvis
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
That's right 4 pointer, thanks for that. I was getting carried away, about the spot behind the gate -- especially now with reg 5 closing on nov 11th til 21st will have lots of hunters exploring the back roads -
Hey rock that wagoon is/nt too bad, not perfect yet otherwise hey lets start pulling quarters out pronto. Back and forth on the old flat grassy roads there are a coulple to go on. Moose and deer and all sorts of animals in the area.
Jel -- draggin, pullin and grinnin with a whadiyah call it - doom ah hicky thingy mick bobber -

Ron.C
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Try sasquatch fabrications.com not exactly cheap but definitely affordable.

As an owner of one, I have to agree.

As far as cost, they don't give them away, but they are worth the price. But if you have the skills and are good with metal, you could fabricate your own for considerably less " I am not one of those people and I'm sure my version would break down at the worst possible time"

Before I bought one of these game carts, I was trying a similar sled idea as some have shown above by using one of my kids old sleds. Yes the sled would have worked, but it was noisy as hell in comparison to the game cart, and not as versatile. Having said that, the sled is still a great idea if you are hunting in the snow, or open grassy areas.

And your gonna say, who cares how noisy it is once the animal is on it and you are packing it out, but some of the areas I get into now are a good hike from the truck and I don't want to be scaring game in the way in by smacking around a 5 foot plastic sled. The game carts are very quiet when pulling them. Plus a friend from work is making me a universal joint so I can attach the cart to my mountain bike, so I can bike further back into areas where no vehicle are allowed.

The big draw back with the game cart is that it is quite useless in heavy timbered areas with lots of blowdowns, like alot of places here on the island. So I now just keep my pack frame bungy corded to my pack cart and with this combo, I'm pretty much set.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/r6b.jpg

field marshal
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello Jelvis!
Not trying to highjack your thread or anything,but????
With all this chatter about this up and coming deer season,
what about your eyes???? Haven't heard about eye doctor appointments
for quite some time??? Or maybe you are hoping someone such as Zeiss
or Leupold is going to manufacture a rifle scope for the blind???
Just asking???:lol::lol::lol:
Good hunting.
Field Marshal.

Jelvis
07-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Ron.C -- good little write up on that device and a fine photo. Sasquatch product looks not too shabby thanks for the great photo and idea -X L N T -
Jel -- Ron knows about pulling game out -- a dar-n good contraption -
----- a puller outer ------- thanks again Ron.C ---
Hi there field nice to see you on -- Marshall -- is outstanding in his Field -- lol --

SHAKER
07-24-2009, 09:17 AM
As an owner of one, I have to agree.

As far as cost, they don't give them away, but they are worth the price. But if you have the skills and are good with metal, you could fabricate your own for considerably less " I am not one of those people and I'm sure my version would break down at the worst possible time"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/r6b.jpg

Nice promo shot!:wink: Almost how I do it!
http://i27.tinypic.com/2ry3d4i.jpg

Jelvis
07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Super duper puller outer wow, elk too, it really works nice that little thinga ma jigger -- va hairy good.
Gonna need one soon cuz fall is a commin hunters -- good oooone --
Jellness c ya pullin soon --

f350ps
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I've also got one of the Sasquatch Fab. carts and can't say enough about it. The balance is excellent and they are a breeze to move around. The only issue I've had is the little pieces of All-Around that he uses to thread the rope through will break over time. Last year I took them all off and welded 5/16" chain links on and it's better than new. I also carry a spare tire and rim with it although I've never had to use them. I just zap strapped it to the bottom along with a 10" cresent wrench. K

CanuckShooter
07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cart-resize.jpg

The ultimate game carts, built with alum tubing and an old motor cycle front wheel. This unit has the brakes with the brake handle where you hang on, it's ideal for hauling down game trails and side hill traverses / game trails...can be used by one or two people at a time and you can brake if picking up too much speed.

gary murray
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
That's pretty awesome CanuckShooter. Brakes too. Last thing you want is going down a hill with half an elk and having it ripped from your hands.

Jelvis
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
CanuckShooter with a million dollar idea -- front wheel drive pusher and puller outer -- look fantastico -- so far -- wow it works ladies and gentile men --
Jel -- CanuckShooter has a winner device for game quarter getter outer --
------ Did you hear the one about the tornado? ---- Yes, it blew me away --

300H&H
08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Hey JellyMan,
While surfing youtube I found this "puller-outter".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YwJFITHIws

waistdeep
08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Jel , why don"t you take one of them horses we helped you name a while back? Then you can go anywhere and they can haul your prize out??

Cole
09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Keep your eyes peeled at garage sales for baby strollers/jogging strollers. Works like a charm and gives your friends something to jerk your chain with.

Jelvis
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Garage sales for any device or contraption strong enough to hold a 125 pound quarter of a good sized moose or half a buck --
Some kinda thingy a whatyahmacall it. Wheels help define the caveman invention the wheel dawhat ? Caveman knew how to make dragging easier and devised the round wheel made from rocks and wood. Why ?
Easier on the spine and lower back muscles. Use brain more and the back less -- +++ --
Push or pull roll or slide we need an easier way to go --
I like the old motor cycle wheel on the front of a concocked frame --
We are getting close thanks sooo much for the feed back.
Jelly -- roll or slide ?

Bigbear
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Jelly Go to Surplus Herb's They have alkinds of wheels there. I even got some for My cartop boat to wheel it down to the water.

Jelvis
09-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Surplus Herby's I feel bad now thinking herb was ordinary lol - he's not your average dummy so yah heck of a suggestion for wheels for the thingy ma jigger -- Bigbear knows Herby has some surlpus stuff just made for a puller outer -- +++ -- on Tranquille too north shore hey He's not your average dummy
Jelly Herb knows Bow in the looops -- +++ -- good shopping hunters