PDA

View Full Version : Chimney setup for wall tent

bcsteve
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
How do you guys set up your chimney in your wall tent for a back wall opening? Do you used two 90 degree elbows or one angle at the stove and shoot out the chimney through the hole at an angle? Either way, how do you support he chimney outside? Any pictures would help. Thanks.

Riverratz
07-12-2009, 01:13 PM
2 X 90 deg. elbows with a short piece of horizontal pipe between them where it passes through the wall is the usual for an "out the back wall" set up. BUT, these set ups cause creosote to build up in the pipe, especially at the elbows and along the horizontal piece of pipe, causing problems.
This set up also means you're packing wood (and all the rest of the garbage) through the living area of the tent to the back end, which (I think) is a pain in the ass, and valuable interior space is taken up with a woodpile inside the tent.

I think that straight up through the roof near the front door is the best method....handy to the outside wood pile and it allows the almost unavoidable creosote build up in the chimney pipe to run down into the firebox of your stove. Install the chimney pipe "upside down" in the vertical-thru the roof set up so the creosote can run freely down the inside of the pipe and into the firebox and won't weep out the joint seams to the outside of the pipe, where it will smolder and smoke up the inside of the tent.

dougan
07-12-2009, 01:18 PM
might be a good idea to get a loover type dampner for chimney pipe iv had mine start to blow smoke out door and take air from chimney it sucks wene you find out in the feild !!!!

2slow
07-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I use 2 90s and I also use b-vent going through the tent. I angle the b vent slightly going through the tent to help with flow. On the outside I use a a piece of 1/2 hard copper with a U shape made out of one t and 2 90s on the top to set the stove pipe on for support. The hard copper I put into a piece of 1" conduit so that I can adjust it up or down. One thing I figured out the hard way is that the weight of the pipe on the outside of the tent heading up tends to make the stove 90 fall over so I had to secure the adjustable joints in the elbow to stop this from happening. I bring a cordless drill with me and zip a couple of screws into each joint so nothing falls apart in the middle of the night. I also bring a few 6" clamps with me to hold everything together. If you want a video of the setup look up sharps00 on youtube and have a look at the new wall tent setup video there are some faraway shots of everything on that

cmac
07-12-2009, 01:47 PM
I use 2 90's as well, have a piece of rebar 4 feet long with the last 8 inches bent to make an L pound it into the ground and use a couple of hose clamps to secure the pipe to the rebar. I also screw my stove pipe together, I have it all marked and drilled so it just takes a few minutes to screw it all together

bcsteve
07-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Riverratz, I've read lots of pros and cons of through the roof vs through the wall and seems to come down to individual preferrences. Wether it's right or not, my tent as the chimney hole on the back wall.

How far away from the wall should the stove be kept away?

Brambles
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
you definitly need to angle your stove pipe up and out of the tent a smidge to help it draft properly. Build some sort of support so that your stove pipe is supported outside your tent.

Riverratz
07-12-2009, 02:03 PM
With the hole in the back wall, you have no choice, ....other than to install another rooftop hole ??? We never had good results with back wall method and settled on thru the roof at the front, but to each his own, there are pro's and con's to each method.

2slow and cmac seem to have it mastered though and have some very good suggestions. Supporting the pipe outside the tent is your main issue.

As for distance from the wall, we have always erred on the safety side and kept the stove 18-24" from the canvas.

bushguy
07-12-2009, 02:23 PM
How do you guys set up your chimney in your wall tent for a back wall opening? Do you used two 90 degree elbows or one angle at the stove and shoot out the chimney through the hole at an angle? Either way, how do you support he chimney outside? Any pictures would help. Thanks.

2 x 90,s ,,,then haywire the pipe to the exterior squaw poles and ridge pole,,at 3 different angles.Will brace it really good in case of strong winds.If you are using internal ridge pole ,,good luck!:smile:

Ruger4
07-12-2009, 03:15 PM
straight up off the stove to a 90 elbow , out the wall 2 feet , 45 away from the tent , wire tie off 1/2 way up outside pipe to pole support.

bcsteve
07-12-2009, 03:54 PM
What about using an adjustable angle at the stove and straight pipe from there? This would avoid the use of the 90's.

bcsteve
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
These are drawings that were sent to me to give me some ideas

I'm thinking this:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/bcsteve/Woodstove90_p01.jpg

or this, but with an adjustable angle instead of the 45 to bring it closer to the wall and have the chimney more vertical. Would also but another angle at the end or a "T" to avoid down draft:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/bcsteve/Woodstovestraight_p01.jpg

rock
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
2 90's will work but remember you need rise of the stove then you can run it out the side with your 90's a back wall will work fine just remember to leave a area to bring the wood in, you can slope the pipe slightly when existing the the wall but you don't need alot of slope because of the overall distance is not that great.

kastles
07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
We brought our tent in to a sewing guy and had the pipe ring removed from the back wall and replaced with a window. It was put in the roof in the front corner of the tent and piped straight up. The tent stays cleaner this way.

kastles

The Hermit
07-13-2009, 12:35 AM
I run one angle out the back wall as in the second pic above. Weld up a piece of rebar with a Y to support the stove pipe and tie off with cord in opposing directions. Works pretty good.

bcsteve
07-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Like this The Hermit? Maybe I'll just buy the pipe and angles to do both set up and try it in the backyard. Go with the one that works better and return what I didn't use.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/HPIM3161reduced.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/elk%20season/HPIM3132reduced.jpg

dutchie
07-13-2009, 10:33 AM
WOW!!! bcsteve, I have been sending these drawings to everyone, and I have not been able to send them only sheets it is the whole package.

Would you be able to send it back to me in Sheets as attachments?

Thanks

Dutchie

bcsteve
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
No problem, sending them your way. It took me a while and I had to download a PDF to JPG demo program but it worked. Thanks again.

**Edit** Actually, just right click on them and "Save picture as" and you should have them in your picture folder. If that doesn't work, let me know and will try another way.

bcsteve
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Tried out my wall tent and stove for the first time this week on a deer hunt. This is how I ended up setting the chimney. I placed a single sheetmetal screw at all the joints so they wouldn't seperate. Didn't need for any exterior support and nothing even budged even though we got some good wind. The only change I might do is reverse the pipes so creosote will not drip out the joints.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/bcsteve/IMG_0592.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/bcsteve/IMG_0593.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg186/bcsteve/IMG_0594.jpg

burger
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I use 2 90s and I also use b-vent going through the tent. I angle the b vent slightly going through the tent to help with flow. On the outside I use a a piece of 1/2 hard copper with a U shape made out of one t and 2 90s on the top to set the stove pipe on for support. The hard copper I put into a piece of 1" conduit so that I can adjust it up or down. One thing I figured out the hard way is that the weight of the pipe on the outside of the tent heading up tends to make the stove 90 fall over so I had to secure the adjustable joints in the elbow to stop this from happening. I bring a cordless drill with me and zip a couple of screws into each joint so nothing falls apart in the middle of the night. I also bring a few 6" clamps with me to hold everything together. If you want a video of the setup look up sharps00 on youtube and have a look at the new wall tent setup video there are some faraway shots of everything on that

Be careful using b-vent it is only designed for non solid fuel as the liner is aluminium and could fracture and warp under the extreme heat.

Spokerider
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
bcsteve,
That setup *may* be working, but it sure doesn't look secure / stable to me. If it were mine, I'd definitly have a tripod of sorts holding the chimney outside.

ultramafic
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
bcsteve,
That setup *may* be working, but it sure doesn't look secure / stable to me. If it were mine, I'd definitly have a tripod of sorts holding the chimney outside.

The setup was very stable with the screws holding it together.. The stovepipe fit very tightly through the stove jack so it held it nicely with it being attached well to the stove at one end and supported a little over the middle by the jack it didnt move a bit.

From the photos it doesnt look all that secure but the only joint that wasnt screwed together was the one holding the T joint at the end so it was actually very stable as the pipes are quite light.

mike

dutchie
10-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I sent the drawings to him showing the best to the worst with the pros and cons... they all work, but some are better then others.

if it keeps you warm at night and it dosn't kill you then it will work perfect!! some just need a little more attention

I am glad I could help ya BC Steve!!

Dutchie

Statler
09-12-2010, 09:06 AM
With my stove I just use a 2' straight section than a 90 out the wall with another 90 on the outside and a couple more sections to get it over the roof. To support the pipe outside I fabricated a collaspible extension pole that is driven into the ground and supported with guy wires to which the stove pipe is wired to it. This setup has withstood some very heavy winds while hunting the Pink Mountain area.
Also for the inside of the tent I also fabricated a heat shield for the stove. It consisted of 2 ea pieces of sheet alum. approximately a 3' x 3' and a 2'x 3' with a folded safety edge and joined together with a piano hinge. I placed this between the tent and the stove, in the corner, about 4 inches away from the wall of the tent and it allowed the stove to be substantially closer to the wall of the tent. Even with the stove on full the wall of the tent remained cool to the touch.