07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Normal draw date 6-28 and 6-29

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 07:16 PM
So If I Get This Right It's The Tatshenshini Area

Kirby
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Its listed in the LEH as a thinhorn.

One is low odds, one is high odds, there are reasons for that.

Kirby

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Its listed in the LEH as a thinhorn.

One is low odds, one is high odds, there are reasons for that.

Kirby
WHATS THE REASONS LOL

Everett
07-09-2009, 07:32 PM
The low odds area is sometimes referred to as the rock garden

Stone Sheep Steve
07-09-2009, 07:50 PM
The low odds area is sometimes referred to as the rock garden

Yep, rocks..lots of rocks...lots of big rocks.....no shale.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/054.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10064&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/075.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10068&ppuser=1509)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/245.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10074&ppuser=1509)

SSS

Rackmastr
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
That looks like truly awesome country up there....

So, as a potential new BC resident, if a guy drew LEH in one of those zones, could you shoot either a Stone's ram (fannin) or a Dall Ram with that thinhorn tag?

Kirby
07-09-2009, 09:00 PM
you draw to hunt an area with dalls, you can hunt stones over the counter with the same tag. Infact with mountain sheep tag you can hunt every species, Cali, Rocky, Stone, Dall.

Kirby

silvertipp
07-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Steve did you run inti the sheep in there

Rackmastr
07-09-2009, 11:04 PM
you draw to hunt an area with dalls, you can hunt stones over the counter with the same tag. Infact with mountain sheep tag you can hunt every species, Cali, Rocky, Stone, Dall.

Kirby

Kinda makes sense to me Kirby after looking at the LEH Synopsis and the regs.

So the 'Moutain Sheep' tag that you'd draw LEH would allow you to hunt in 6-28 (lets say). With this tag you are limited to hunt 6-28 for Dalls but then could buy a seperate tag for Stone's Over-the-Counter for the rest of the province (in general areas)?

Am I making any sense? I'm really going to have to sit down and 'learn' the BC system after years of hunting in Alberta....

Everett
07-09-2009, 11:09 PM
A sheep tag is valid for all 4 bc sheep specis

leadpillproductions
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm going to try for stones this year then hope for a tag next year .

Rackmastr
07-09-2009, 11:19 PM
A sheep tag is valid for all 4 bc sheep specis

Okay...so if someone drew a 6-28 tag and a giant Fannin came out, they could shoot it under that LEH correct?

If someone draws a Mountain sheep LEH, are they as well able to buy a general tag and hunt general OTC areas or are they only allowed to posess one mountain sheep tag/year?

I cant open the first part of the 2009 Regs...just the regions. Have to wait I guess and get a hard-copy to really dig through.

Sorry for the hijack...continue!!

ryanb
07-09-2009, 11:53 PM
The leh is an authorization for you to hunt areas that are not on open season. It is not a tag. You are still required to purchase a tag to hunt on your leh authorization and are subject to regional and provincial bag limits regardless of whether you are hunting on leh or not. Provincial bag limits are listed in the general section and regional bag limits in the individual region sections. In bc, the bag limit is one mountain sheep per season.

In BC, the 6-28 and 6-29 draws produce what are considered Dall sheep. As far as the regulations are concerned, they are treated the same as Stone sheep or Fannin sheep, that is, THINHORNS.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Steve did you run inti the sheep in there

Here's "the sheep" that we ran into. We have a date in another 7 yrs.;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/092.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10071&ppuser=1509)

Not near as many sheep in the eastern zone....but they can grow some big ones.

SSS

Kirby
07-10-2009, 08:08 AM
So the 'Moutain Sheep' tag that you'd draw LEH would allow you to hunt in 6-28 (lets say). With this tag you are limited to hunt 6-28 for Dalls but then could buy a seperate tag for Stone's Over-the-Counter for the rest of the province (in general areas)?

A tag is good for all animals.

A mulie tag is good for anywhere with an open season, same with a sheep tag

If you Draw 6-28 then you can hunt 6-28 for thinhorns, any you see that's legal its good to go.

If you don't tag out, on your drive home you can stop off and hunt thinhorns all the way south through the open seasons, then when you get home you can hunt Cali bighorns in lilooet area, or Rockys in the kootenays.

All on the same tag, you just need to draw an LEH tag to hunt the 6-28...

Does that make more sense?

Kirby

Rackmastr
07-10-2009, 08:14 AM
A tag is good for all animals.

A mulie tag is good for anywhere with an open season, same with a sheep tag

If you Draw 6-28 then you can hunt 6-28 for thinhorns, any you see that's legal its good to go.

If you don't tag out, on your drive home you can stop off and hunt thinhorns all the way south through the open seasons, then when you get home you can hunt Cali bighorns in lilooet area, or Rockys in the kootenays.

All on the same tag, you just need to draw an LEH tag to hunt the 6-28...

Does that make more sense?

Kirby

Perfectly man. Thanks and I appreciate it. I hate sounding like a NOOB and know I can figure it out by lookin at the regs, just was a quick question. Thanks again....and look forward to getting over there and bein a resident for next season!!

silvertipp
07-10-2009, 11:43 AM
steve looks like some rugged climbing nice to see some sheep
how long were you gone for

mntbowhunter
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Great picks SSS. A while back I drew for Atlin and went in to Tushi Lake. There are dalls in there, but few and far between. Most of the sheep in there are fanins but they are mostly white. Did see some white rams in there (no legal ones). My uncle took a ram out of there that an expert would call a fanin from his few dark hairs. If I killed it, I would call it a dall and so does he. Bennet Lake has dalls too

mntbowhunter
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I think in the future I will be taking a transfer to NWT to ensure I get to arrow a dall

Kirby
07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I think in the future I will be taking a transfer to NWT to ensure I get to arrow a dall

x2 once I am done school i wanna go up there just to have an open season on them... but if I want my BC slam with a bow I should continue applying for here in BC.

Kirby

d6dan
07-10-2009, 03:52 PM
The odds are more favorable than 20yrs ago. I remember when 2 friends put in at 19.5 and got them. And yes, they got 2 full curl rams. They left Elkford and took 3 weeks off, and were back in town in 7 days. Thats sheep hunting.

mntbowhunter
07-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Hats off to anyone who can arrow a BC slam of wild sheep. You and I have a common goal but its going to be a tough go. Good luck, my friend:D
but if I want my BC slam with a bow I should continue applying for here in BC.

Kirby[/quote]

mntbowhunter
07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
sorry I was suposed to quote kirby on that one^

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2009, 05:19 PM
steve looks like some rugged climbing nice to see some sheep
how long were you gone for

Just the regular sheep hunt. Had a couple weeks off. We flew in on the 29th or 30th ....back out on the 10th. We bailed one day early as we did a circular route and did not know exactly how long it would take to get back to the lake. SPOT worked well. Would love to have spent 3 full weeks in there but I also drew an elk tag so I had to re-arrange some holidays. Plus I made it back for my son's b-day on the 12th.
Was glad just to have spent some time in that corner of the province....sheep or no sheep. Rugged and beautiful country! :cool:

I'm starting to get "that feeling" just thinking about it!

SSS

Kody94
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM

x2 once I am done school i wanna go up there just to have an open season on them... but if I want my BC slam with a bow I should continue applying for here in BC.

Kirby

Keep in mind that you have to live there for 2 years before you are a resident in the NWT (same as YT).

During those two years, you are a resident of nowhere..

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Perfectly man. Thanks and I appreciate it. I hate sounding like a NOOB and know I can figure it out by lookin at the regs, just was a quick question. Thanks again....and look forward to getting over there and bein a resident for next season!!

There was a really good article summarizing sheep hunting in BC in the latest issue of BC Outdoors Hunting and Shooting. Just happenned to be written by a member of this site.
Being in Alta, not sure if you can get your hands on one or not.....but if you do..as a bonus, you will also get to read Gate's article as well:cool:

SSS

BCrams
07-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Just the regular sheep hunt. Had a couple weeks off. We flew in on the 29th or 30th ....back out on the 10th. We bailed one day early as we did a circular route and did not know exactly how long it would take to get back to the lake. SPOT worked well. Would love to have spent 3 full weeks in there but I also drew an elk tag so I had to re-arrange some holidays. Plus I made it back for my son's b-day on the 12th.
Was glad just to have spent some time in that corner of the province....sheep or no sheep. Rugged and beautiful country! :cool:

I'm starting to get "that feeling" just thinking about it!

SSS

X 2 Can't wait!

1st trip sometimes works out to be an exploratory trip with subsequent trips a lot easier as you know the country and what to expect.

Rackmastr
07-12-2009, 11:43 AM
There was a really good article summarizing sheep hunting in BC in the latest issue of BC Outdoors Hunting and Shooting. Just happenned to be written by a member of this site.
Being in Alta, not sure if you can get your hands on one or not.....but if you do..as a bonus, you will also get to read Gate's article as well:cool:

SSS

Thanks! I will have a look around for a copy of it for sure and do some reading.....

Buckster
06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
one or the other thats right.. same tag

whitetailsheds
02-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Here's "the sheep" that we ran into. We have a date in another 7 yrs.;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/092.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10071&ppuser=1509)

Not near as many sheep in the eastern zone....but they can grow some big ones.

SSS

7 years have passed Brent!!! Should be legal now......did you get one of the tags this year?

Sharpish
02-28-2016, 03:12 PM
I saw a pure white sheep in 6-23. I swear. But it was from a kilometre away, through a spotter.