PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert

Gnarly
07-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm contemplating a move to Prince Rupert before September, Ive only been there once for less than two hours, can anyone here who lives there fill me in on the hunting/fishing/living in the local area.
thanks

lip_ripper00
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
All I know about it is, it rains 355 days a year and with the openinh of the new port property has sky rocketed, even by LML standerds. Good luck

Camp Cook
07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice little town with blacktail deer wondering around everywhere if your into tidal water fishing the fishing is awesome and yes it rains a lot there... :(

Hunting is a different story not to many areas to hunt until you get back towards Terrace unless you have a boat and a jet boat is even better then there are all of the tributary rivers that drain into the Skeena that have good hunting and fishing...

The Work Channel road and the Work Channel are nice areas with some nice areas to get up to the ridges.

It could be worse you could be moving to Alberta... :p

Dale
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Paradise.......when the sun shines, great place during the rest of the time. Fishing........world class, hunting......tough, but your close to awsome areas. My advice......try it.

Gnarly
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks cook and Dale, I'll find out more in the days to come but its got to be better than the crowds in the lower mainland.

Camp Cook
07-09-2009, 09:28 PM
My brother lived in Prince Rupert for 10 years he is now in Prince George and wishes he was in Terrace which is only 1 hour and 20 minutes east.

He would come down to the Fraser Valley in the summer to visit and I would be suntanned from being out fishing on the boat and he would be white as a ghost from the lack of sun... :D

tomahawk
07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Every town has its plus's and minus's, so if you end up going to Rupert then make the best of it, enjoy the good and ignore the bad. Every town has the good and bad and its a person's attitude that makes or breaks how much fun you'll have no matter where you live!

TSW
07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
All I know about it is, it rains 355 days a year and with the openinh of the new port property has sky rocketed, even by LML standerds. Good luck

Not the best advice I've seen. :roll: Yup, it rains a lot in Rupert, no one is gonna deny that. House prices are actually extremely good, especially compared to LML standards. The majority of properties are in the $200k-$300k range.
If you are into ocean fishing, it can be paradise!
I've never done it, but apparently hunting on the Charlotte's is an absolute blast--hope to try it someday that's for sure.

sparkymacker
07-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I worked construction there years ago. If you don't drink, you will soon after arriving. The rain factor can not be exaggerated .... I have never seen rain like that before...or after. Definately some good fishing and hunting opportunities within driving distance. It is kind of isolated though...the only "major" center close by is Prince George ... 8 hours away. Not sure what is like now, but there was a major rat infestation when I was there, not the most appealing critters to find running around.

Bowtime
07-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I could see myself living there one day. Fishing year round. and only a couple hours drive to great moose hunting near Smithers. Warmer year round and alot less snow. Rains a bit, but when its sunny there no better place.

wetcoasthunter
07-10-2009, 08:56 AM
but there was a major rat infestation when I was there, not the most appealing critters to find running around.

Not the first time. Years ago, my uncle lived up there, it was either a truck filled with grain or a rail car that tipped over and spilt its load. They took all the grain to the dump. You can imagine the rat breeding that took place with that kind of food supply. "a sea of rats" as he descibed it.

lip_ripper00
07-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Not the best advice I've seen. :roll: Yup, it rains a lot in Rupert, no one is gonna deny that. House prices are actually extremely good, especially compared to LML standards. The majority of properties are in the $200k-$300k range.
If you are into ocean fishing, it can be paradise!
I've never done it, but apparently hunting on the Charlotte's is an absolute blast--hope to try it someday that's for sure.

yes but what where they 3years ago, befor the port opened:?:

deer nut
07-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Apparently prices have doubled in the past few years. Interesting place but dark & dreary in the winter. Hope you have a boat and like fishing!

Gnarly
07-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh , I like fishin no question and I think I may be upgrading the 10 foot grumman chronomid killer and 12foot harbercraft for something bigger shortly, Things are moving quick and I should know Tuesday if its going to happen or not.
I sure hope it does ;-)

mxracer328
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
awesome place, i think i would move to terrace area in a heart beat if the oppertunity came up. beautiful area, with lots to do.

sawmill
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Run away.been there done that place.Rains like crazy and when it doesn`t it is cloudy.Terrace is better.

shantz
07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Grew up in queen charlotte for 18 years and fishing out of rupert for years. if you don't mind the rain it is awesome for fishing. hunting requires a little bite of driving or you can jump on the ferry for a charlotte blacktail trip. i would recommend looking into terrace as well the weather is a lot better than rupert. there seems to be a line at about rainbow summit on the highway that the rain doesn't cross. and if you like skiing or sledding it nice and close to stewart which gets unreal amounts of snow.

cody

Goliath
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I lived in Rupert for the first 20 yrs of my life and was happy to leave. Looking back though, it's all what you make of it. The fishing was second to none, and I trully miss it. Hunting...well lets just say that you're only a couple hours drive...:cool: If you enjoy the outdoors and have the gear to do it, then it's great. As for the rain, don't let it stop you from enjoying yourself; otherwise you'll be sitting at home an awfull lot. You gotta make your own fun.

One other thing about the rain. Prince Rupert is on Kaien Island and if it's raining, there's a 80% chance that 30KM inland (where HWY 16 meets the Skeena) is beautiful sunshine.