PDA

View Full Version : Has anyoen been fishing in the vedder river yet?

Marsh Hawk Jr.
07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
hey everyone, i was woundering if anyone has been in the vedder river fishing? i was woundering if you guys could tell me if theres any fish in there cuz i am hoping that my day will take me fishing in the vedder for my 15th b-day present. what should i use for in there? and where are some good easy to get to spots for a learner?

thanks all

marsh hawk jr.

endtimerwithabow
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
i talked to a guy there today and he said he caught 2 wild coho in the am and he was tryin his luck this afternoon. dont know if he caught anything or not.

Dirty
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
i talked to a guy there today and he said he caught 2 wild coho in the am and he was tryin his luck this afternoon. dont know if he caught anything or not.

There is no Coho in the Vedder right now, either your friend is mistake or he never caught a thing. There will be sockeye and some springs in the vedder near the end of the month. The springs turn fast, and do not bite very well, hence everybody snags them for the most part. The sockeye are all catch and release, even hatchery fish.

There are also a couple of hatchery steelhead smolts in the river too. Try not to fish bait as it kills the little buggers. Please practice catch and release.

Muleycatcher
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I was out there all afternoon and got skunked. I saw two springs landed downstream from me and numerous rolling. They are in there...good luck

jml11
07-07-2009, 09:41 PM
The earliest I've seen and caught Coho in the Vedder is Labour day weekend. I'm sure there a few in late August as well but early July is highly unlikely, only the Capilano River gets them this early doesn't it?

Dirty
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
The earliest I've seen and caught Coho in the Vedder is Labour day weekend. I'm sure there a few in late August as well but early July is highly unlikely, only the Capilano River gets them this early doesn't it?

You are correct. The Cap had coho in there months ago! Muleycatcher, what method of fishing was used to catch the fish?

Muleycatcher
07-08-2009, 07:04 AM
They were both caught float fishing or drift fishing. everyone that I saw out there was float fishing.

Dirty
07-08-2009, 05:15 PM
They were both caught float fishing or drift fishing. everyone that I saw out there was float fishing.

Good to hear, usually it is a snag fest out there in the summer.

Ddog
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM
whilst i agree with you that there are no coho in the vedder system right now and there are sockeye and spring. Saying that they dont bite very well is not true at all, after 30 yrs of fishing that river i found spots where the springs climb on with serious aggression, yes the reds, a nice piece of roe was deadly.

Dirty
07-08-2009, 06:32 PM
whilst i agree with you that there are no coho in the vedder system right now and there are sockeye and spring. Saying that they dont bite very well is not true at all, after 30 yrs of fishing that river i found spots where the springs climb on with serious aggression, yes the reds, a nice piece of roe was deadly.

I agree that they will take roe, but they are finicky, even the best roe can be blanked in a hole filled with fish. Sure, you can go to the limit hole and flog colored fish with roe and hit them all night long, but that's not my gig, been there catch and released that. Hitting fresh fish in the lower can be frustrating. I have watched springs literally frothing in a hole, and still not bite. It is a practice in patience, that is why those that do not have primo roe or patience chose to floss these fish. If you are so inclined, send me a PM, we can go fishing, I just cured 10 pounds of premium coho roe with Pautzke cure.

THE SWEDE
07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Ran the boat up to the crossing last night.Passed about 20-25 guys not a fish insight.Water looks primo though

Muleycatcher
07-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Was out again this morning. Not a thing. Looked like everyone was having the same luck.

spey
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Muleycatcher
were the springs you saw in the upper river or lower?
thanks,

Spey

Muleycatcher
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
They were in the lower river.

moosehunter16
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
i was up there a few days ago and these guys were just catching trout like no tomorrow, i think they were fly fishing but am not to sure because i was there just for a bit.
Cheers, CD

Marsh Hawk Jr.
07-13-2009, 11:32 AM
so do u guys think it would be a wise choice to go up there this weekend with my dad as a b-day present or go maybe by herring island to bar fish for springs? what do u guys use in the fraser to catch the springs? cuz i might go there instead of the vedder.

BiG Boar
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Is there no trout in the vedder? I remember camping up chipmunk creek last year and a guy on the fly pulling out trout at a good pace. Maybe they wernt trout?

winchester284
07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Is there no trout in the vedder? I remember camping up chipmunk creek last year and a guy on the fly pulling out trout at a good pace. Maybe they wernt trout?

There are hatchery trout/steelhead released into the Vedder around the end of May each year. There are also some resident trout as well.

As far as fishing up chipmunk creek (I believe that is above Slesse Creek) the guy you saw fishing was doing it illegally as the Vedder/Chilliwack river is closed to all fishing between Chilliwack Lake and Slesse Creek... :roll:

betteroffishing
07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
it would blow you away how many steelhead smolts get bonked as trout every year , they should really lower the limit to 1 per day , not that they spend any real resources monitoring the current daily catch limits. it would be nice to see the steelies make a real comeback .