PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep hunt on Muskwa/Tuchodi/Gathto

Stoneddallhunter
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi all, I am newbie to HBC. I have the chance to go on a riverboat trip with some younger fellas into the Muskwa drainage and hunt Stone's sheep this season. Any advice on where to go and find a ram would be appreciated. I am getting older and fatter but I can still make it up the mountains - I think! I am a very experienced sheep hunter but have no knowledge of the sheep hot spots on the Muskwa/Tuchodi/Gathto river system. I have mostly hunted Dall's (before LEH in 6-29 - we used to be able to drive in on the exploration roads and spot them from the truck window) and bighorn in my life.

I hope somebody can help.

As a return favour I can supply info about trophy mule deer hotspots (not Clearwater) in region 3:-D

sako_300
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Don't know if you'll have somebody give you the 'secret spot' - My understanding is that if you can get yourself up there and put in the legwork you will be in sheep country.

I'm also interested in this as I'm planning a trip up in this area early September. Would be interested in feasibility of running the Gatho in a 20' Clearwater no UHMW (oh no!!!) but beefed up bottom (QT 100) 350/312 SD

Apologies for the sarcasm...

Thanks for any feedback or guidance.

bridger
07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
gatho can be run for a short distance by boat depending on the water. one of the guys who tried it last year left his boat up there. better places to go than the gatho with a riverboat

Stoneddallhunter
07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I am researching the Outfitters territories in the area. Might be good to just go where they go.
My understanding is that one must walk at least for a whole day off of the rivers to get into good ram hot spots.

sako_300
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Ya, heard about the boat being left up there, doesn't sound like a reality.

Sounds like you need a 14-16 ftr with teflon and a sport jet.

tuchodi
07-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Ya, heard about the boat being left up there, doesn't sound like a reality.

Sounds like you need a 14-16 ftr with teflon and a sport jet.

I have seen many years when even a cartopper or canoe could not make it off the Gathto with out packing or pulling it. I have been up there in Aug sheep hunting but never in Sept as water is usually to shallow. Up the Muskwa passed the big bend has some good sheep on both sides but it is a good walk.

Stoneddallhunter
07-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks Tuchodi. How many hours travel time up to the big bend on Muskwa?

jml11
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Up the Muskwa passed the big bend has some good sheep on both sides but it is a good walk.

Not sure there is any one spot much better than another, all the drainages beyond the foothills hold sheep at some point of the year. Just comes down to personal favorites based on past adventures. One valley could be good in August and not September or good one year and have no sheep the next. It has a lot to do with timing as the sheep tend to move around a lot in these areas due pressure from the outfitters and other resident hunters. You can glass right from the river to find sheep if you aren't into spike camping but beyond the foothills, the mountains are huge and rugged and it is not an easy hike into the valleys unless you know where the good trails are. It's also a long way to the top from the river bottom!

Stoneddallhunter
07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for that post. My middle named is "bulldozer" and my other middle name is "bushwacker". No need for trails!
I am hoping to convince the young fellas to head up in September. Sheep hunting pressure should have diminshed by then.

john g
07-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I've been up there a couple of times, and I agree with the other posters - the sheep are where you find them, as they do move around a lot. The biggest thing you have to understand, though, is that it is one hell of a long hike and climb from the river to the sheep mountains. It would probably take a man in good shape at least a whole day to get up there - and it ain't no easy stroll!

frase
07-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not a sheep hunter but have hunted Elk up that way several times during September, usually through a fly in and then by horse. Have camped on the Gatho and suggest that when I was there it would have been next to impossible go up by jet boat. There is also a large guide outfitter operation up there which has changed its name but used to be called Big Nine. One trip we rode up to a high camp and saw quite a few sheep but nothing legal. I expect the guides know where the sheep are as they fly around there regularly. Its a big country back there and as I'm an old fart I would think a horse is the way to go.

Stoneddallhunter
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Well thanks for more good posts.

I will drag my old, fat, slow arse up them hills. If it takes me two days that is fine. A man that takes his time and sits down and looks around is more likely to spot some hidden gems. The young bucks that walk with thier heads down and race to the top have no advantage.

The last Dall's sheep I shot in the Tat was chased right to me by a group of highly fit mountain men. I sat on the same hump for 1 week and watched my secret escape trail. Viola, there they were. When the ram was skinned and packed up the mighty hunters appeared over the top of a distant ridge. (there were 4 more legal rams in the group but they did not get any).

Old and slow and patient always gets the game.

Stoneddallhunter
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not a sheep hunter but have hunted Elk up that way several times during September, usually through a fly in and then by horse. Have camped on the Gatho and suggest that when I was there it would have been next to impossible go up by jet boat. There is also a large guide outfitter operation up there which has changed its name but used to be called Big Nine. One trip we rode up to a high camp and saw quite a few sheep but nothing legal. I expect the guides know where the sheep are as they fly around there regularly. Its a big country back there and as I'm an old fart I would think a horse is the way to go.

Big Nine you say. Just might be a plan to pitch a tent close to that camp on the Gathto and go hunting sheep!

It is not so easy to fly in a plane and determine legal rams. It is even more difficult if the rams head for the timber due to hunting pressure.

Every year I harvest a very respectable mule buck in the very same spot that dozens of road hunting vehicles pass. The more trucks that pass through - the better. I sit, read a book and wait. A big buck walks out every year and the trucksters see none. Everybody knows the bucks are there but very, very few get to see them. Very similar if you are hunting big rams in a timber area.

jml11
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM

This outfit is now called High and Wild Safaris operated by Barry Tompkins. He does do a lot of his sheep hunting on the Gathto as does the packer operating from Barry's "Blue" lake (not affiliated with him just sets up shop right next to his lodge). All by horseback. Barry's territory extends south almost to the Muskwa River where the next territory is owned and operated by Olmstead, called Prophet-Muskwa safaris.

Stoneddallhunter
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
This outfit is now called High and Wild Safaris operated by Barry Tompkins. He does do a lot of his sheep hunting on the Gathto as does the packer operating from Barry's "Blue" lake (not affiliated with him just sets up shop right next to his lodge). All by horseback. Barry's territory extends south almost to the Muskwa River where the next territory is owned and operated by Olmstead, called Prophet-Muskwa safaris.

I have heard of that outfit. Aren't they the ones that take bowhunters for Stones sheep? Now that would be a challenge for an old, fat guy that cant shoot a bow!

jml11
07-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I have heard of that outfit. Aren't they the ones that take bowhunters for Stones sheep? Now that would be a challenge for an old, fat guy that cant shoot a bow!

I don't know if he takes bowhunters, but I imagine any outfitter would be willing to try it! I am not a bowhunter but as far as I am concerned, Stone's sheep are probably the hardest animal to get with a bow. Can't exactly call them in...and there senses are extremely sensitive. Based on my own personal adventures whihc has resulted in 2 Stone kills, there was no way of getting one with a bow, the rams were taken at 250 and ~400 yards with no bush or rock bigger than 30 cm between them and the hunter! A bow killed ram is an exceptional trophy from my perspective!

Stoneddallhunter
07-08-2009, 01:56 PM
You need an area with timber, gullies, big rocks and lone trees to hide behind.

You would be amazed how close you can get to a sheep if you crawl on all fours or slither on your belly. The last Stone I shot was less than 35 yards and my last Dall was a Texas lungshot from 60 yards. Just depends upon the terrain in the area you are hunting and your stalking skills and ability to sit still and not move while mosquitoes bite your face while a ram is staring down at you.

olharley guy
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Howdy, everything that Stonedall has said about sheep hunting is so true except for the airplane spotting part. It is very easy to spot legal rams from a supercub flying at 65-70 mph- on the mountain tops or just below timberline. Later

Stoneddallhunter
07-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Howdy, everything that Stonedall has said about sheep hunting is so true except for the airplane spotting part. It is very easy to spot legal rams from a supercub flying at 65-70 mph- on the mountain tops or just below timberline. Later

Whats the weight limit for a passenger in one of them Supercubs? I want to go for a ram scouting flight if I meet the specs. "Red Baron to Fat Guy, we got us a Booner on that there hill. Get ready to bail out".

BCLongshot
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Some peoples kids !

Hi

I'm your new neighbour.

Mind if I park in your driveway ?

Can I borrow your quad, truck ?

Can my kids bounce on your trampoline ? WTH Can I just put it in my backyard ?

Can I borrow your wife for awhile ?

Ya I'll give you some areas...Spots....

Come on man !!!

olharley guy
07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Whats the weight limit for a passenger in one of them Supercubs? I want to go for a ram scouting flight if I meet the specs. "Red Baron to Fat Guy, we got us a Booner on that there hill. Get ready to bail out".
Howdy, 250+ lbs easy if you can fit in the back seat LOL Later

silvertipp
07-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Barry tpomkins ,steve peck have the area all but sown up & they do not like resident hunters in there area!!!!
Robert York used to be a packer in the Gatho but sold out to barry
In high water it is possible to get a boat the river but watch out at least one 4ft drop there is a nice landing strip on the river with exalant sheep hunting within a 4 hr hike ,very close to where barry will take you for sheep bow hunt
Called the natural licks
been there several times also tuchodi lakes

jml11
07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Barry tpomkins ,steve peck have the area all but sown up & they do not like resident hunters in there area!!!!
Robert York used to be a packer in the Gatho but sold out to barry
In high water it is possible to get a boat the river but watch out at least one 4ft drop there is a nice landing strip on the river with exalant sheep hunting within a 4 hr hike ,very close to where barry will take you for sheep bow hunt
Called the natural licks
been there several times also tuchodi lakes

As I said in an earlier post there is packer in his territory who takes hunters into the Gathto still...Barry and him do not get along. A couple years ago me and my hunting partner walked past one of Barry's lodges with two rams on our backs :biggrin:...he was not impressed, mostly because he didn't know they were back where we got them! Can't spot them all from the plane!

silvertipp
07-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Robert York used to be the packer but he sold out to Barry,do you know of someone else

jml11
07-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Robert York used to be the packer but he sold out to Barry,do you know of someone else

I don't know the fellow's name but the last time I hunted the area was 2007 and he was in there set up on "blue" lake pretty much right beside Barry's lodge. So unless the sell out was in the past year it is a different operation.

silvertipp
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
the sell out was recent i think but his base was on the gatho

Wild Images
07-09-2009, 06:54 AM
I took horses into the Gatho years ago with Robert to his base camp, Tompkins built a lodge by the airstrip at lower praire where Bob was based.
It it a beautiful spot but if you fly in there now you land right by the lodge.

silvertipp
07-09-2009, 10:35 AM
we were down from the lodge at least a couple of miles
we landed right on the river bank robert made a landing strip their at the bootom of the big grassy mountain if youve been their youll know the spot

Wild Images
07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Yup, got some nice pictures of the hill you speak of saw Rams and Elk on that little peice of paradise. I have mounted a few rams from that area as well.

MtnBoy
07-09-2009, 01:25 PM
There is an ILLEGAL 'packing' outfit operating from 'blue' lake. They have no license or appropriate insurance of any kind. They have in the past (and continue to be) under investigation by the Conservation Officer Service. The clients that hire the illegal services may also be under scrutiny. By supporting these illegal activities, the 'clients' are doing a disservice to us as hunters, game managers and ultimately the wildlife resource.

jml11
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
There is an ILLEGAL 'packing' outfit operating from 'blue' lake. They have no license or appropriate insurance of any kind. They have in the past (and continue to be) under investigation by the Conservation Officer Service. The clients that hire the illegal services may also be under scrutiny. By supporting these illegal activities, the 'clients' are doing a disservice to us as hunters, game managers and ultimately the wildlife resource.

Kinda thought this might be the case. The guy looks a little sketchy and from conversations between his clients that I have overheard while they have packed past us on the trails it sounds like he provides a bit of guiding services as well...

srupp
07-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Yup, got some nice pictures of the hill you speak of saw Rams and Elk on that little peice of paradise. I have mounted a few rams from that area as well.

:eek:....congradulations on your ...errrr "success" so now that you have 'mounted " a few rams..did ewe ever get around to shooting any???:biggrin:

CONGRADULATONS...on getting a stone...

steven

silvertipp
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
never heard of this guy ,fot my sheep down river from that hill do you no of any other packers in that country

Wild Images
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
SRUPP you think killing a Stone ram is tough you should try the catch and release method :eek:

boxhitch
07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
There is an ILLEGAL 'packing' outfit operating from 'blue' lake. They have no license or appropriate insurance of any kind. They have in the past (and continue to be) under investigation by the Conservation Officer Service. .If it was illegal, charges would have been laid and the operation shut-down.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
If it was illegal, charges would have been laid and the operation shut-down.

Did packers not used to operate, un-licensed, and un-regulated for many years...? When did the actual licensing/regulations for packers come about?

Carl

silvertipp
07-10-2009, 12:05 PM
just wondering if there is a ilegal packer in this country i would think with all the ownerie guides up there theyd have him charged a long time ago
Is there any real proof or is this just another bullshit hear say story

srupp
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
lmao @ wild images...funny guy..

steven

07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Did packers not used to operate, un-licensed, and un-regulated for many years...? When did the actual licensing/regulations for packers come about?

Carl

Yes, but legal and licensed since 2005. Now called Transporters.

See this web site.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb/applications/process/transporter.html

leadpillproductions
07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
how would you find a number for a packer or trasporter

silvertipp
07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
in your bc hunting regs,word of mouth outdoor shows all good options

just hunt
03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
is there still a packer at" blue lake" and is there a landing strip there.

northernhunter
03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Barry is the only one in there now, he will give you a rate for packing services to. There is a strip right beside his cabins at blue lake, good luck getting someone to fly you in though