PDA

View Full Version : G.E.,High Wild and Free

mr.280
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Anyone ever see Gord Eastmans film [High Wild and Free]? if not find it and enjoy. Even if you have a small touch of sheep fevor it'll get you itchen to hit them there B.C. mountains! Away back when I first had the feeling that I might like to try for a ram,I saw Gords film and then I was hooked for good,you can't beat the high wild and free B.C. mountains. My buds and I wore out that old VHS many years ago. I'm serching the web now to try and order a CD copy so I can show my son.http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/sssssssssssssssss.jpg

olharley guy
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Howdy, yes I saw it many moons ago, this movie is what actually made me make the move to the Yukon.
My best friend who still lives up in the Iskut area, was a good friend of Eastman's and helped him with all the filming on this and other movies he made, had some good stories to tell about making the movie.
After I moved up north it was interesting to meet and befriend a lot of the natives that were in the movie. Lots from Lower Post area.
Let us know if you find a copy, would be great to watch it after so many years. Later

porcupine
07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
I've been looking for a copy for awhile now but can't locate one. Also, Chadwick took some movie pictures of his world record ram before he shot it and I would dearly love to see those pictures.
________
AU Falcon (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_AU_Falcon)

mr.280
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
yup found it on line. punch in elkinc.com and then click on vids and there it is with the photo of the big grizz on the cover. they have a 1-800 # to order.

bighornbob
07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I think Wholesale sports in Kamloops has it. I think I saw it there. heading there tomorrow, will let you know.

BHB

whitetailsheds
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
ELK Inc. has good service via their 1-800 #. Ordered several copies before actually going to Dall. Classic, old time hunting. Was a great view, and even wilder to stand in a few spots that were on the DVD.

bridger
07-06-2009, 11:13 PM
high wild and free is one of the all time greats. you might get a copy from eastmans.com

trapperdan2061
07-07-2009, 07:15 AM
perhaps you would like to share your copy, I pay shipping to me and the next guy pays to him and so on and on and on..............

Any takers..............

Kody94
07-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I've watched it 50 times if I've watched it once. My favorite outdoor movie of all time. After watching it I call everything "temendous" for a while, and have been known to say "I bin all over dis world...Watson Lake, Prince George...etc" an annoying number of times. :)

boxhitch
07-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I found remnants of a raft on the shore of Dall. Almost could hear the narration.

Was a great view, and even wilder to stand in a few spots that were on the DVD.Piece that together with the Boudreau book "Wild and Free" and that is some good local history.
We keep finding evidence , bottles, trails, camps from the 'old days', it is fun to try to imagine what went on back then when Skook used to cross the valley to hunt that area, and then Cooke moved his show to Moody.
Some brass cartridges I found would have to be carbon-dated.

whitetailsheds
07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Just got pieces of "Champagne Safari", a movie/ documentary of Charles Bedaux's expedition on PBS the other day. Found it very interesting his involvement with the German's and American's, and his grand scheme to build a water pipeline to Africa for Hitler.
Had bits and pieces of footage of his NE BC adventure, including Fern Lake, named after his wife.
Looking into finding the DVD.

bigwhiteys
07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Just got pieces of "Champagne Safari", a movie/ documentary of Charles Bedaux's expedition on PBS the other day.

I have the DVD, it's looong and somewhat boring. Not as much of the NE expedition as I would have liked. It was worth it for the piece on "Slim Williams" one of the original pioneers of the AK highway, I think it's on this DVD at least. It's been a while since I've watched it.

Carl

riflebuilder
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Wild and Free is a great movie I loved watchingit when I was a kid. Those eastman films are great.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Cool film. Liked it so much I decided to checkout some of that country.

Found this.

http://www.longrangestore.com/product_p/60062200.htm

SSS

wolverine
07-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I saw it years ago and laughed my ass off. Great film and some really nice scenery but the narration is hilarious. Geezuz, if I heard him say, "We didn't kill him, we didn't have to" one more time. I taped it and a buddy of mine and I used to sit and watch it and have a few pops and insert that phrase where ever we thought it would fit. To this day, almost 30 yrs later, if we are lucky enough to hook up and make it to a hunt together it's the catch phrase for the camp.

whitetailsheds
07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I have the DVD, it's looong and somewhat boring. Not as much of the NE expedition as I would have liked. It was worth it for the piece on "Slim Williams" one of the original pioneers of the AK highway, I think it's on this DVD at least. It's been a while since I've watched it.

Carl

Ya, from what I did see, she looked like it would be a haul. Was always anticipating more old clips from back in the hills.
Interesting catching the history of some of Bedaux's forte's.
Do you remember where u found the movie, Carl?

bighornbob
07-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I stopped by wholesale sports at lunch and they had almost every other Gordon eastman film except the one we are talking about.

BHB

wolverine
07-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Don't give up! It's a classic! You're gonna love the intro music and song with the lyrics "High, Wild and Free" . Right outta the juke box of cheese :)

whitetailsheds
07-07-2009, 03:24 PM
And what about the 3-D map of BC ol' Gordy was standing in at the beginning of the film! Really brought to light, for me, how mountainous BC is.
Incredible bit of work went into that baby.
Been in the airport a few times down there, don't imagine it's there any more?

Ride
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I've got that gem on VHS, found it, along with about seven other G.E. titles at a garage sale for 5 bux.....

blackbart
07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
The best place to find it for a good price is to hook up with some form of a techno geek that will transfer his old VHS tape onto a DVD and send it to you.

Helpfull hint though, ensure that enough postage is attached.

Who else on here that has seen the movie thinks that the canoe flipping was staged?

Good on ya Gordon for making this movie. Would love to see the footage of old Blackie getting thrown out of the plane.

mntbowhunter
07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
My brother and I used to watch my dads high wild and free film when we were just little kids. It is one of my all time favorites. There are some smokin big rams on that film. That was filmed in the Kechika mountains with Frank COOK's guide and outfitting area on Terminus Mountain. Apparently there are still some good rams in there, but I guess COOK almost shot it out before selling it. Incredible video though.

boxhitch
07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
mntbowhunter, your facts are off a bit. A sheep-hunters ploy to throw off the curious followers ? :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2009, 04:56 AM
mntbowhunter, your facts are off a bit. A sheep-hunters ploy to throw off the curious followers ? :wink:

Maybe that's where they filmed the huge herd of caribou running around on that gravel bar:wink:

SSS

358mag
07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I found remnants of a raft on the shore of Dall. Almost could hear the narration.
Piece that together with the Boudreau book "Wild and Free" and that is some good local history.
We keep finding evidence , bottles, trails, camps from the 'old days', it is fun to try to imagine what went on back then when Skook used to cross the valley to hunt that area, and then Cooke moved his show to Moody.
Hey how did you find out about Dall Lake ???or was John Devs telling old time storys ???

dana
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I've seen it many many times. They have it available in the TNRD library system.

If you guys want to see some classic BC hunting footage though, I just got some real gems this spring. They now have Fred Bear's old footage on DVD. Ordered them through Bear Archery. Some amazing footage from the 50's and 60's. Fred's World Record P&Y Stone hunt is pretty cool. Amazing how fast he stalked that ram.

budismyhorse
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Hey Boxhitch....ever been to "the burn"?